Advertisement

Why is Obama called the first Dem. African American nominee?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18630
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:39 pm

I siad it before, but I think Ferraro's comment that he was where he was because he's black is accurate. Being a legitimate black candidate got him noticed, and had he not been different, he'd have been just another face in the crowd. Sharpton and Jackson don't count... they're crazy people.

I think in the general public, "If it looks like a duck..." applies here.

I personally think African-American is a ridiculous term, and I try not to use it.

Advertisement

Nightfly
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 8924
Likes: 16 posts
Liked in: 9 posts
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 1:23 am
Location: California


Postby Nightfly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:I siad it before, but I think Ferraro's comment that he was where he was because he's black is accurate. Being a legitimate black candidate got him noticed, and had he not been different, he'd have been just another face in the crowd. Sharpton and Jackson don't count... they're crazy people.

I think in the general public, "If it looks like a duck..." applies here.

I personally think African-American is a ridiculous term, and I try not to use it.

By that rationale, isn't Hillary equally lucky to be the only woman in the race? Didn't that make her face stand out in the all-male crowd?

If they're both equally lucky to be other than White Male, what exactly was Ferraro's point? Was she asserting that America didn't just want a change from White Male leadership, but that America wanted non-White leadership altogether?
Image
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18630
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Nightfly wrote:By that rationale, isn't Hillary equally lucky to be the only woman in the race? Didn't that make her face stand out in the all-male crowd?

If they're both equally lucky to be other than White Male, what exactly was Ferraro's point? Was she asserting that America didn't just want a change from White Male leadership, but that America wanted non-White leadership altogether?


Hillary does get more attention than she deserves for being a woman, and for being a former first lady. She wasn't new to the scene though, and Obama was. It's not to say that he didn't have other qualities that could have gotten him attention, but when he was a relative unknown it helped his visibility a lot.

David Bird
User avatar
phrase IV
 
Posts: 5932
Likes: 11 posts
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:28 pm
Location: Victoria, BC


Re: Why is Obama called the first Dem. African American nomi

Postby David Bird » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Kid Doozer wrote:I mean, shouldn't we past the one drop rule? He's as much a "white" nominee as he is an "afro. american" nom....shouldnt we be referring to him as the first real mixed/multi-ethnic nom.?


There are mixed black/white and native/white members of my immediate family and people define themselves by, and are treated according to, their appearance. Only one actually describes herself as mixed and that's because she looks mixed (and people are always trying to guess her background). Obama looks black, so he is black.

daitong
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7063
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: New York City


Postby daitong » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Hillary gave one hell of a speech today. Mega props to her and most of her supporters.

I was really disappointed in the tone of her campaign towards the later stages. Divisiveness does not make for a good party.

That said, it's in the past, and now on to beating McSame in '08!
Image

DeadFett
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 14510
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:17 am
Location: A galaxy far, far away...
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember


Postby DeadFett » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:01 am

daitong wrote:Hillary gave one hell of a speech today. Mega props to her and most of her supporters.

I was really disappointed in the tone of her campaign towards the later stages. Divisiveness does not make for a good party.

That said, it's in the past, and now on to beating McSame in '08!


Yeah, she did give a great speech today. I just hope her supporters follow what she said and get behind Obama.
Image

daitong
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7063
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: New York City


Postby daitong » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:19 pm

DeadFett wrote:Yeah, she did give a great speech today. I just hope her supporters follow what she said and get behind Obama.



You'll get the crazy diehards that probably won't vote for him (like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KACQuZVAE3s), but I think most will come back.
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:21 pm

daitong wrote:You'll get the crazy diehards that probably won't vote for him (like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KACQuZVAE3s), but I think most will come back.
Wait...how is she a second-class citizen living in Manhattan? I'm lost.

daitong
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7063
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: New York City


Postby daitong » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:24 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:Wait...how is she a second-class citizen living in Manhattan? I'm lost.


Divorce is messy.
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:27 pm

daitong wrote:Divorce is messy.
Apparently so is using your privilege to get into a DNC meeting. It must be hard for her and her Prada handbag and sunglasses. "Help, help, I'm a second class citizen."

If she was paying attention she'd know we don't elect presidents in America. We elect the people who elect the president, and not even that - I never had a hand in Howard Dean being the DNC chairman.

daitong
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7063
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: New York City


Postby daitong » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:34 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:Apparently so is using your privilege to get into a DNC meeting. It must be hard for her and her Prada handbag and sunglasses. "Help, help, I'm a second class citizen."

If she was paying attention she'd know we don't elect presidents in America. We elect the people who elect the president, and not even that - I never had a hand in Howard Dean being the DNC chairman.


I can't be that cynical about the process, but I get where you're coming from. The thing with that was that the credentials committee didn't decide the outcome of the election. Obama would have been ahead either way. And this silly notion about popular vote, when that has no bearing on a primary election (not to mention Clinton's fuzzy numbers) just didn't hold water.

There are stories that some of those people were actually Repub plants sent to cause chaos. Who knows...
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:36 pm

daitong wrote:I can't be that cynical about the process, but I get where you're coming from. The thing with that was that the credentials committee didn't decide the outcome of the election. Obama would have been ahead either way. And this silly notion about popular vote, when that has no bearing on a primary election (not to mention Clinton's fuzzy numbers) just didn't hold water.

There are stories that some of those people were actually Repub plants sent to cause chaos. Who knows...
There've been plants throughout the primaries, I'd say. Like Limbaugh encouraging Republicans to vote for Hillary in Indiana - where it might not have been as close had they not.

daitong
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7063
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: New York City


Postby daitong » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:39 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:There've been plants throughout the primaries, I'd say. Like Limbaugh encouraging Republicans to vote for Hillary in Indiana - where it might not have been as close had they not.


To be fair, DailyKos urged the same in the Republican Michigan primaries. Their thinking was that Romney would be an easier opponent for the general. I wasn't a fan of that kind of nonsense.
Image

L Independant
User avatar
25 To Life
 
Posts: 13927
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: 3 Clicks SE of Obama


Postby L Independant » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:42 pm

daitong wrote:To be fair, DailyKos urged the same in the Republican Michigan primaries. Their thinking was that Romney would be an easier opponent for the general. I wasn't a fan of that kind of nonsense.
It'd be nice if politics were a clean sport without the shenanigans.

BTW...SWEET avatar.

daitong
User avatar
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7063
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: New York City


Postby daitong » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:49 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:It'd be nice if politics were a clean sport without the shenanigans.

BTW...SWEET avatar.


Obama is the shiznit!

And apparently a 70's Alien rockstar.
Image

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], thefourthman and 44 guests

Advertisement