Advertisement

Why is Obama called the first Dem. African American nominee?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Dooz

Liked in: 59 posts

Why is Obama called the first Dem. African American nominee?

Postby Dooz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:31 am

I mean, shouldn't we past the one drop rule? He's as much a "white" nominee as he is an "afro. american" nom....shouldnt we be referring to him as the first real mixed/multi-ethnic nom.?

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:50 am

I didn't realise African American only applied to people with a certain amount of 'blackness'

Jeff
Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:05 am

Its probably more a question of how he defines himself. He identifies as African American so I think that is probably what matters.
The poster formerly known as Kiwiboy

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Nightfly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:20 am

Jeff wrote:Its probably more a question of how he defines himself. He identifies as African American so I think that is probably what matters.

Are we really saying a dude with skin as dark as his (read: not light enough to 'pass') has an alternate choice?

Soledad O'Brien identifies herself as bi-racial but she's still a darling of the NAACP. Wanna know why?
Because folks can call themselves whatever they want, for whatever reasons they want, but when they walk outside their door society still sees them (and often still treats them) as Black.

Even Oprah has, on occassion (while trying to shop), been reminded that she's Black. It's simply the way it is in America - but we continue to try 'n make it better.
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

Jeff
Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:38 am

Nightfly wrote:Are we really saying a dude with skin as dark as his (read: not light enough to 'pass') has an alternate choice?

Soledad O'Brien identifies herself as bi-racial but she's still a darling of the NAACP. Wanna know why?
Because folks can call themselves whatever they want, for whatever reasons they want, but when they walk outside their door society still sees them (and often still treats them) as Black.

Even Oprah has, on occassion (while trying to shop), been reminded that she's Black. It's simply the way it is in America - but we continue to try 'n make it better.
I admit to being somewhat naive about race politics in America.
The poster formerly known as Kiwiboy

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:43 am

Jeff wrote:I admit to being somewhat naive about race politics in America.

You were right though. Ultimately, it is only how he identifies himself that matters.

I'm just wondering how much of a choice, in reality, he really has in the matter. I'd dare say about none.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:03 am

Nightfly wrote:You were right though. Ultimately, it is only how he identifies himself that matters.

I'm just wondering how much of a choice, in reality, he really has in the matter. I'd dare say about none.

I'd have to agree. The party took the black thing and ran with it, and to be honest I don't see it as any more right than the comments that Geraldine Ferraro made, but since it's considered to be in his "best interest," nobody is saying anything about it.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:16 am

Carrie wrote:The party took the black thing and ran with it,

Please elaborate. In what ways did they run with 'it'?

Carrie wrote:and to be honest I don't see it as any more right than the comments that Geraldine Ferraro made,

Confused :? What isn't more right than Ferraro's comments?

In my opinion Ferraro has been pretty out of line. Even Hillary distanced herself from Ferraro's continuing controversial comments.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ferraro asserting that Barack lucked out by being a Black man running for President of America? That seems a non sequitur to me.

but since it's considered to be in his "best interest," nobody is saying anything about it.

I can't say anything about it until you educate me on what the 'it' is in this case.

One might imagine the DNC taking Obama around w/ Sharpton & Jackson on 'Getting To Know Black America' tours... or having Obama bust out some gangsta rhymes.
Are you referring to the bit of basketball he played? 'Cuz he sure didn't show up to the annual 'Black State of the Union' as Hillary did this year.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:21 am

Nightfly wrote:I can't say anything about it until you educate me on what the 'it' is in this case.

One might imagine the DNC taking Obama around w/ Sharpton & Jackson on 'Getting To Know Black America' tours... or having Obama bust our some gangsta rhymes.
Are you referring to the bit of basketball he played? 'Cuz he sure didn't show up to the annual 'Black State of the Union' as Hillary did this year.

Wait...are you suggesting that hanging with Sharpton, gangsta rap and basketball are things that define black people or are you implying that I must think that because I'm white? Either way, it's more than a little offensive.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:25 am

Carrie wrote:Wait...are you suggesting that hanging with Sharpton, gangsta rap and basketball are things that define black people or are you implying that I must think that because I'm white? Either way, it's more than a little offensive.

No accusations from me - just questions.
I didn't know you were White? For all I know you're not even in or from America... why should that matter?

I was mostly asking what it was the Dem party did that you think was on par w/ Geraldine Ferraro's comments?

Since I didn't know what aspects of his Blackness you were saying the party ran with, I defaulted to the standard commercially accepted and/or politically correct (or incorrect as the case may be) notions of Black identity in America.

What did you mean?

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:34 am

Nightfly wrote:No accusations from me - just questions.
I didn't know you were White? For all I know you're not even in or from America... why should that matter?

I was mostly asking what it was the Dem party did that you think was on par w/ Geraldine Ferraro's comments?

Since I didn't know what aspects of his Blackness you were saying the party ran with, I defaulted to the standard commercially accepted and/or politically correct (or incorrect as the case may be) notions of Black identity in America.

What did you mean?

Not aspects of his blackness, just the fact of it.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:35 am

Carrie wrote:Not aspects of his blackness, just the fact of it.

Should they, as the thread starter suggested, deny it?

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:47 am

Nightfly wrote:Should they, as the thread starter suggested, deny it?

Should they? That's not for me to say. Could they? Probably not.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:53 am

Carrie wrote:Should they? That's not for me to say. Could they? Probably not.

Exactly the same reason why I ain't angry over Hill's connection to & with White women.

Who knows if Hillary wishes the White women supporting her were (more) college educated or middle class?
Just like Obama, she's stuck w/ the constituency that she has, for whatever reasons she may have them.

Dooz

Postby Dooz » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:14 am

Zero wrote:I didn't realise African American only applied to people with a certain amount of 'blackness'

I find the whole hyphenated American thing strange in the first place, and strange that multi-ethnic people in America (and maybe around the world?) are defined by one part of their lineage.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum