Advertisement

Will DC ever catch Marvel?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:02 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, i was the same way.

hell, for most of the 90s, i was a Zombie. the only DC books i bought from about 95 until 2002 or so were Morrison's JLA, Nightwing, Robin, an occasional Bat-storyline, and i'd peek at any "events" to see what was going on. and i bought nearly everything from Marvel. but i didn't get hardcore DC again until i picked up trades of "Return of Barry Allen" and the first trades of JSA and Starman. and from there, i caught up fast on what i missed.

and starting basically with Austen, i dropped all X-titles. with Bendis, i dropped DD and Avengers. with OMD i've dropped all Spidey. and with Millar i've now dropped FF. so there's just not much left for me at Marvel that i enjoy. and that really saddens me, truthfully.

Have you tried Brubaker's Cap?

Or Captain Britain and MI13 by Paul Cornell? Or Iron Fist? Or Guardians of the Galaxy? Or Incredible Hercules? Or Nova!!!!!!!!!..?

Advertisement

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Liked in: 0 post

Postby toolverine » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:05 pm

chap22 wrote:yeah, i was the same way.

hell, for most of the 90s, i was a Zombie. the only DC books i bought from about 95 until 2002 or so were Morrison's JLA, Nightwing, Robin, an occasional Bat-storyline, and i'd peek at any "events" to see what was going on. and i bought nearly everything from Marvel. but i didn't get hardcore DC again until i picked up trades of "Return of Barry Allen" and the first trades of JSA and Starman. and from there, i caught up fast on what i missed.

and starting basically with Austen, i dropped all X-titles. with Bendis, i dropped DD and Avengers. with OMD i've dropped all Spidey. and with Millar i've now dropped FF. so there's just not much left for me at Marvel that i enjoy. and that really saddens me, truthfully.

The x-titles are good again. Thanks to Bru.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 pm

toolverine wrote:The x-titles are good again. Thanks to Bru.

I dunno.. I think Mike Carey deserves just as much, if not MORE credit for that. Carey's run has been great from the get-go. Bru's Shi'ar arc wasn't really amazing.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Yeah, but Mike Carey's stuff is pretty much in a vacuum now. The team is dissolved and the second half of it was all set-up for Messiah Complex.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:35 pm

Zero wrote:Yeah, but Mike Carey's stuff is pretty much in a vacuum now. The team is dissolved and the second half of it was all set-up for Messiah Complex.

Legacy is one of the best books at Marvel right now.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 pm

DaReekstah wrote:Have you tried Brubaker's Cap?

Or Captain Britain and MI13 by Paul Cornell? Or Iron Fist? Or Guardians of the Galaxy? Or Incredible Hercules? Or Nova!!!!!!!!!..?

Cap, Fist, and Spider-Girl are the entirety of my Marvel pull list.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 pm

toolverine wrote:The x-titles are good again. Thanks to Bru.

bah. i just don't care. i was never THAT big a mutie fan anyay...
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 374 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:53 pm

nietoperz wrote:Except of course that I was as big a Marvelite as I was a DC fan all the way until fairly recently. And I don't think it's fair to label someone with differing opinions or tastes as being 'out there' (and no, I don't return the favour).
If I remember correctly, you grew up on Marvel didn't you?

I know for me, it's that I grew up on a steady diet of Spiderman comics my brother would buy at the store, he bought me my first comic that I remember, Amazing Spiderman 351 (and then he bought me 352 because he was cool like that) and now I buy him comics :P

Anyways, I think, at least in my case, it's the fact that Marvel has pretty much screwed up my childhood idealized marriage and made Spiderman into even worse of a character than when he had clones. That really affects my opinion on the quality of their ideas. Not that it's forced me to become a DC Nerd, but I'm finding out of the few books I still buy in single format, I'm buying them from DC, and DC has my interest with Final Crisis, and I enjoy Identity Crisis because I have no childhood ties to the characters.

Whereas, when Sins Past came out, I wanted to kick JMS and Quesada in the nuts for doing what they did to Gwen Stacy.
SHABBA!

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:53 pm

chap22 wrote:bah. i just don't care. i was never THAT big a mutie fan anyay...

And I don't see you complaining about the x-titles being inaccessible and not enough like DC.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:00 pm

chap22 wrote:Cap, Fist, and Spider-Girl are the entirety of my Marvel pull list.

You should give those other ones I listed a shot.

Cap Britain & MI13 just started, and two issues in it's fantastic.

Captain Britain. Pete Wisdom. Skrulls. Otherworld. Magic.

What more can you ask?

And Nova and the Guardians of the Galaxy are two awesome cosmic books spinning out of the Annihilations.. I effin' LOVE Nova, and the other is very strong as well.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:03 pm

I was a hardcore Marvel guy pretty much my whole life with the exception of Batman and the occasional Superman book.

Then the Death of Superman happened and I started to really get into Superman and Green Lantern.

Then Kingdom Come came along and that really got me into the whole DCU, but I was still mostly a Marvel guy.

Then a few years ago Marvel really started to change. And then came Civil War and that made me drop about 3/4 of my Marvel books. And then OMD which made me drop Spider-Man which was my favorite character.

Meanwhile, I was really enjoying a lot of stuff going on at DC, particularly what Geoff Johns did on Flash and JSA and what he's doing now on Action Comics, Green Lantern, Booster Gold and Justice Society. And I think in the last 9 months or so, DC has really stepped up the quality across the board.

I still read a few Marvel books because I think they still have some very high quality titles, but for the most part I'm just not into what they're doing these days.

But I've been reading since the mid-80's and I've realized by now that comics are cyclical. I'm sure eventually things will change again and I'll get back into Marvel.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:29 pm

DaReekstah wrote:You should give those other ones I listed a shot.

Cap Britain & MI13 just started, and two issues in it's fantastic.

Captain Britain. Pete Wisdom. Skrulls. Otherworld. Magic.

What more can you ask?

And Nova and the Guardians of the Galaxy are two awesome cosmic books spinning out of the Annihilations.. I effin' LOVE Nova, and the other is very strong as well.

I completely agree with this. Nova, Cap Britain, and Guardians are all really good right now. I'd like Nova to get a nice long run where it's not tying into events every three issues, and obviously Guardians and Britain just started, but I don't see any reason they won't continue to be amazing.

Nova is in the middle of a storyline that has the best Surfer-Galactus dynamic I've read in years.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:31 pm

twoheads wrote:I'd like Nova to get a nice long run where it's not tying into events every three issues

See, that right there is one of my problems with Marvel

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:36 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:See, that right there is one of my problems with Marvel

That's understandable, but in this case it probably brought a large number of eyes to the book that wouldn't have otherwise seen it, and it's not like annihilation and conquest weren't fairly organic.

Still, if you're looking for something to try pick up an issue, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:40 pm

twoheads wrote:That's understandable, but in this case it probably brought a large number of eyes to the book that wouldn't have otherwise seen it, and it's not like annihilation and conquest weren't fairly organic.

Still, if you're looking for something to try pick up an issue, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I read Guardians of the Galaxy

I'm just annoyed that it's going to crossover into Secret Invasion.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum