Advertisement

So.... Will Iron Man 3 break the curse?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 211 posts

Re: So.... Will Iron Man 3 break the curse?

Postby Draco x » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Toadfish wrote:Because they intend to use him as a villain in later movies. Duh.

Also, I think you kinda missed the point. If you can sympathise with the character in what is supposed to be his major moral failing, then the guilt thats supposed to come from that failure doesn't follow through - if he was acting like he should have, then it doesn't become his fault alone.

Not the idea to actually use it like he does. Oscorp could only think to use it as a standard alternative to steel cable. Peter figured out the stuffs amazing adhesive properties, as well as how to deploy it with little recoil from an easily concealable device. So, like I said, he built the webshooters from scratch.

But here's the thing: Carradine was always meant to be one-off antagonist and the purpose of catching him was to remind Peter that he could have stopped him from the get-go if he had swallowed his pride after he got stiffed. Raimi captured that better than Webb did when he stuck closer to the original playing out of what happened in the comics. I don't see Carradine being interesting enough to be in more than one movie. The ideas Peter catches him and realizes his mistake and he learns from it. End of story.
As for the sympathy thing, I was sympathetic towards the Maguire incarnation of Peter when he didn't stop Carradine from robbing the promoter because the guy was a dick. The Garfield Peter's motivation for not stopping Carradine is what again? Over a drink he couldn't pay for at some dollar store? I understand that Webb wanted us to sympathize with his version of Peter as well but this fell short.

Advertisement

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:28 am

ThatGuyRoman wrote:The movie currently has a 87% favorable rating on Rotten Tomatoes from Critics and 92% from Audiences. (I know this only proves that people didn't HATE the film, not that they loved it but that's my point.)

You guys may be passionate in your hatred of the movie, and that's fine, but you guys are not the majority.

You nailed this one. Topic should be "Will Iron Man 3 break my personal-dislike-of-second-sequels-in-super-hero-trilogies curse?" Original poster is either living in a bubble or baiting fans of The Dark Knight Rises.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 am

Love the fanboy defensiveness. :lol:

When you use Rotten Tomatoes scores to try and prove a film's quality, you've already lost an intellectual battle.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Love the fanboy defensiveness. :lol:

When you use Rotten Tomatoes scores to try and prove a film's quality, you've already lost an intellectual battle.

When you try and make sweeping statements about curses based on personal opinion, there's no intellectual battle. There's just you looking like a retard who compares one of the best reviewed and received movies of the year to Batman & Robin.... :lol:

Quality is subjective. But if you really want to have some sort of debate about whether or not DKR broke the curse, you really can't do it without some sort of arbiter, otherwise it's just a bunch of people all saying different things and it's a clusterfuck.

You can agree or disagree with the end result of the Rotten Tomatoes scores.. but generally, public opinion (which RT also scores) and an aggregate score of reviews.. shines a positive light on DKR.

DKR haters can stick their heads in the sand as much as they want, but the majority of people seemed to have liked this movie quite a bit. 92% of 450,000 users liked it on RT, at least. :smt102

And in comparison to the previous Nolan Batman movies, I think the difference in scores are pretty accurate to how I would rank the movies.

The Dark Knight - 94
The Dark Knight Rises - 87
Batman Begins - 85

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

From Box Office Mojo:

Batman............. WB $251,188,924
Batman Forever WB $184,031,112

X-Men...........................Fox $157,299,717
X-Men: The Last Stand Fox $234,362,462 (BUT ~$131,000,000 after first weekend)

Superman ... WB $134,218,018
Superman III WB $59,950,623

Spider-Man ... Sony $403,706,375
Spider-Man 3 Sony $336,530,303

Batman Begins............WB $206,852,432
The Dark Knight Rises WB $448,139,099 (~ $287,000,000 after first weekend)

Blade.............NL $70,087,718
Blade: Trinity NL $52,411,906

One of these things is not like the others.

CASE DISMISSED.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm

The Dark Knight Rises is also the second highest rated movie in IMDB's Top 250 from 2012 (only Django Unchained in front of it).

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 76 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 pm

I can't comment on whether or not DKR is equal or better than the previous two. I'm sure it's great, haven't watched it, don't plan on it. Not my kid of movie.

The curse of the three isn't that the 3rd one is horrible, just that it doesn't do as well and kind of stomps on the vibe of the franchise. One exception is in the case of a sucktastic sequel, it lowers the bar for any movies that follow. See Tremors 3 for example.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Nolan's bat movies really are one long movie. Great payoff. I wonder if that was the plan all along

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:46 pm

holtom2000 wrote:Nolan's bat movies really are one long movie. Great payoff. I wonder if that was the plan all along

I doubt he had any sort of specific long-term plan. Maybe a really basic outline of what he wanted to accomplish, but Ledger's death probably changed everything.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 273 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm

I think DKR is one of those movies that people will like less as they watch it more.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:32 pm

That's one of those last ditch effort things that people throw out in an argument, that has absolutely zero value.

There's no way to know that, and it has no merit on the discussion at hand whatsoever. :lol:

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 pm

I don't really care if people or critics like it a lot or not.

All 3 of the prequels have a positive rating from both critics and audiences over at RT for example. And all 3 made a ton of money.

Same goes for the Crystal Skull .

:smt102

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Rockman wrote:I don't really care if people or critics like it a lot or not.

:smt102

So how else are we to determine if "the curse" is broken or not? Is there one giant curse? Or a million curses all dependent on each individual person's personal tastes? :lol:

However you feel about the movie personally, I think popular opinion has a big say about whether or not there is a so-called "curse" or not.

That doesn't mean you're not allowed to dislike the movie, but there's really no way to discuss the topic without some sort of unbiased middleground.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Fine

Spider-man 3 received a positive rating from Rotten Tomatoes

Curse was broken in 2007.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Men in Black III received a positive rating on RT and a positive fan reaction

Came out before DKR

Curse broken again.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum