Advertisement

Wow that's a pretty big quake

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Wow that's a pretty big quake

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:43 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Thanks. But I'm not very optimistic at this point. Been waiting to see if this medicine has any real effect on him, but it's looking pretty much like it's the end.

Last year, I was doing research on Chernobyl for a story idea, and there's just so much weird and scary looking shit down there. New metals that formed. The geometry near the reactor is like Dali colliding with H.P. Lovecraft at the speed of Bozhe Moi. And I'd have to ask Colossus how fast that is, exactly...

It's like, science-fiction type weird. I mean, the horror is still going on. And to pile that same threat on top of an Earthquake and a tsunami...it's almost too much for the mind to process. Much less for the people who are actually experiencing it firsthand.

It's staggering, literally...kind of been distracted thinking about it the last several days. Noticed many people here had next to no appreciation for how scary a 6 out of 7 on the nuclear disaster scale that could still go full 7 really is. (Not to mention, as you say, the 500 year event level quake and tsunami)...I saw some clear footage of the wave rolling in and just throwing boats and vans and buildings all over the place. Japanese society has such strong bonds of societal manners, for lack of a better word at the moment...I can't help thinking it'd be halfway to Cormac McCarthy's The Road here by now already if something roughly akin to that happened.

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:Here's one of the giant pandas China gave Japan, clinging to a policeman's leg in terror after the initial quake:

That was the HUGE news story a couple of weeks ago. Everyone had panda mania (when I first got to Japan). Within the week, the New Zealand Christchurch earthquake happened (a couple hundred Japanese schoolkids were there and I think most perished).

Now...

And on the news they are saying they are going to evacuate the 50 workers.

Crap. Things look very very grim.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:39 pm

I have to stop paying attention to this... I think I am cursing it....

http://en.rian.ru/natural/20110315/163018924.html

Fukushima operator says will evacuate control room personnel (Update 1)
17:17 15/03/11

The operator of Japan's Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant said on Tuesday that all personnel must be evacuated from the control room at the plant's reactor No.1 after radiation levels became critical, Kyodo news agency said.

The agency did not report the exact radiation level reading.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said the container of a plant reactor may have been partially damaged, Jiji Press reported.

The company said earlier on Tuesday the problem could develop into a critical ''meltdown'' situation after part of container vessel in reactor No. 2 was damaged following a hydrogen explosion at 6:10 a.m. (21.10, Monday GMT).

The level of radiation around Fukushima No.1 is high enough to affect human health, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said earlier on Tuesday.

He said 400 millisieverts of radiation per hour had been detected around reactor No.3 at 10:22 a.m. local time (01.22 GMT), four times higher than the acceptable radiation level for humans.
The No.1, No.2 and No.3 reactors are all releasing hazardous radioactive material.
All residents within a 20 kilometer radius of the Fukushima No.1 nuclear power plant have been evacuated, Japan's National Police Agency said.

Meanwhile, temperatures have been rising slightly in Units Five and Six of Fukushima No. 1.

Blasts at Fukushima No. 1 in northeastern Japan have escalated concerns about a possible nuclear disaster in the country, which was devastated by a powerful 9.0-magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami on Friday.

Cooling systems at the Fukushima plant failed following the earthquake, resulting in blasts at Units One and Three on Monday. Unit Two also overheated on Monday, but the cooling system recovered a few hours later.

MOSCOW, March 15 (RIA Novosti)

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:
It's staggering, literally...kind of been distracted thinking about it the last several days. Noticed many people here had next to no appreciation for how scary a 6 out of 7 on the nuclear disaster scale that could still go full 7 really is. (Not to mention, as you say, the 500 year event level quake and tsunami)...I saw some clear footage of the wave rolling in and just throwing boats and vans and buildings all over the place. Japanese society has such strong bonds of societal manners, for lack of a better word at the moment...I can't help thinking it'd be halfway to Cormac McCarthy's The Road here by now already if something roughly akin to that happened.

Well, compared to the Road, Road Warrior is a way more optimistic and hopeful picture of the post-Apocalyptic wasteland. With any luck, I'll set myself up with a gang and will be called Lord Humongus, and I'll even have a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy for my dogs of war. Some of them are kinda into...well, I'm just sayin'.

Yeah, this is Thundarr the barbarian type destruction, man. Fucked up thing is, I think every modern society is only one disaster away from this type of shit. Civilization...or perhaps the trappings of it...that's some fragile shit in the face of nature.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Don't they have to go in with the permission of the government? I haven't watched the news today because dealing with my sick dog is depressing enough. But didn't Obama's press conference a few days ago say they had teams willing and ready to go in at the discretion of the Japanese gov't?

Have the Japanese requested assistance yet? If not, maybe that's the reason why. Dunno.

But I hope your friend can manage to keep safe somehow. I mean...20 times the normal background radiation? I don't know a whole hell of a lot about how much a human can take, but I'd be worried if someone told me, "Hey, you just snorted down twice the amount of normal background radiation like Charlie Sheen bangs 7 gram rocks, bro!"

And then there's "normal background radiation..."? There's normal radiation? Just in the background? Fuck this shit, I'm going back to my bubble.

*Looks at Strict's deflated bubble*

oops

*backs away slowly*

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 pm

"The operator of Japan's Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant said on Tuesday that all personnel must be evacuated from the control room at the plant's reactor No.1 after radiation levels became critical, Kyodo news agency said."

That's not good, except maybe for those poor people in the control room.

"The agency did not report the exact radiation level reading."

Not reassuring in any way.

"Tokyo Electric Power Co. said the container of a plant reactor may have been partially damaged, Jiji Press reported."

Seems to me it's either damaged or it ain't.

Strict31 wrote:Yeah, this is Thundarr the barbarian type destruction, man. Fucked up thing is, I think every modern society is only one disaster away from this type of shit. Civilization...or perhaps the trappings of it...that's some fragile shit in the face of nature.

Yeah...I think the way the primate brain evolved, it doesn't or didn't make sense for an organism or species trying to reproduce to appreciate dangers of that magnitude or nature. Even when I hear the nuclear plant experts now saying [some] plants are built to withstand quakes except those so large that they may happen only every 500 years they don't seem to be realizing those events may happen any day out of the blue like this, not 500 years from now. I can't quite articulate what I'm trying to say.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:I can't quite articulate what I'm trying to say.

That humanity is most fragile when it thinks it is at its strongest?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Strict31 wrote:
That humanity is most fragile when it thinks it is at its strongest?

Works for me!

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Apparently those workers only had a 45 minute break? they are going back in (according to the TV news)

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:27 pm

sdsichero wrote:Apparently those workers only had a 45 minute break? they are going back in (according to the TV news)

Damn, that's workin' hard, bro.

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Strict31 wrote:And then there's "normal background radiation..."? There's normal radiation? Just in the background? Fuck this shit, I'm going back to my bubble.

Hate to break it to you, but you expose yourself to a radiation reactor every time you go out in the daylight. It's called THE SUN. Also, anything that's made of atoms can give off a little radiation. (I actually have Dr. Light pretty much point this out in my Dr. Light fanfic. Did you read it?? :P)

So yes, there is "normal background radiation".

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Herald wrote:
Hate to break it to you, but you expose yourself to a radiation factory every time you go out in the daylight. It's called THE SUN. Also, anything that's made of atoms can give off a little radiation. (I actually have Dr. Light pretty much point this out in my Dr. Light fanfic. Did you read it?? :P)

So yes, there is "normal background radiation".

And I hate to break it to you but I was making a joke. See, in real life, I don't have a bubble.

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 pm

Strict31 wrote:
And I hate to break it to you but I was making a joke. See, in real life, I don't have a bubble.

I'm sure it's more of a cube than a sphere. :P

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Viscous Skid wrote:Japanese society has such strong bonds of societal manners, for lack of a better word at the moment...I can't help thinking it'd be halfway to Cormac McCarthy's The Road here by now already if something roughly akin to that happened.

Yeah, there would be all kinds of looting and whatnot.

The concept of "gaman" (basically, the will to stand discomfort) is strong in Japanese culture. They're going to need every bit of it they can muster.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:28 am

Strict31 wrote:

But you do have a Van Allen Belt

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum