Advertisement

XBox '720' aka 'Durango' Will Use Blu-Ray, But Requires all Games to be Installed

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

XBox '720' aka 'Durango' Will Use Blu-Ray, But Requires all Games to be Installed

Postby LOLtron » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 pm

The new XBox console is reported to have a Blu-Ray disc drive, but games will be fully loaded onto the hard drive for gameplay.

Source: VGLeaks

Codenamed 'Durango' by Microsoft, often called the '720' by press,  we may not get much officially on the new system until E3.  Rumors and leaks have been trickling out for weeks now on XBox's next console.  Whether the new console will use Blu-Ray, whether some sort of DRM will effect used games, and more.

Vgleaks posted leaked screenshots of today from the development kit that offer a hint of some of the rumored features of the new console.

It seems that the units will have Blu-Ray players, something most of us considered a necessity to compete with Sony's PS4 and offer larger games, but play from the disc is not supported.  All games will be loaded onto the hardrive.  The exact size of the hard drive for  'Durango' isn't yet known, but is expected to be big enough to hold several large games.

The new console will also have an "always on, always connected" to the internet feature.  Whether this will be used as a form of DRM is unknown, but could be used for background updates similar to what we saw with the PS4.

With entire games being installed on the hard drive and always-on connection it seems like they would need something to prevent players from simply installing the game and then selling off the disc once installed.  This is where the belief that some sort of DRM, product code type feature, will be necessary for games.

You can check out more info at vgleaks.

Written or Contributed by xaraan

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

NotSuitableForHumans
Peanut

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The One Who Knocks
Formerly: SirCinematic

Re: XBox '720' aka 'Durango' Will Use Blu-Ray, But Requires

Postby NotSuitableForHumans » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:18 pm

All we can do is hope that this is some kind of beta thing. Because of right now it just seems we get a disc-based game, install it, and then the disc is entirely worthless. I'm still keeping my hopes up. It'd be an incredibly stupid idea. Yes, Microsoft doesn't get profit from used games, but it'd probably piss off a lot of their customer base who don't or can't afford games at full retail value.

Most Wanted UV Codes (BluRay / HDX):
*Also accepting any and all unwanted anime codes in BluRay/HDX.

Help in Need: http://www.gofundme.com/BrandonsDebt

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 886 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:46 pm

sdsichero wrote:I think it was yesterday actually

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/post10161045.html#p10161045

dude, you should have done something for the front page on that, it's definitely interesting news to more than just peeps in one thread in our forum

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 886 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:54 pm

xaraan wrote:

dude, you should have done something for the front page on that, it's definitely interesting news to more than just peeps in one thread in our forum

Eh rumor (though it has some backing). Just noting it wasn't today (sorry on ipod so hard to do stuff online)

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm not nearly as excited as I should be for these next-gen consoles. I hope E3 changes that.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:27 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Eh rumor (though it has some backing). Just noting it wasn't today (sorry on ipod so hard to do stuff online)

Gotcha, fixed that word then.
I don't mind doing juicy rumors, much to Blue's chagrin, but the shots have been verified by several sites by today at least. Though what will change for launch from the beta kit is yet to be seen.

GiveWarAChance
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1440 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that people were getting worked up over the no blu-ray drive rumor?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:06 pm

SirCinematic wrote:All we can do is hope that this is some kind of beta thing. Because of right now it just seems we get a disc-based game, install it, and then the disc is entirely worthless. I'm still keeping my hopes up. It'd be an incredibly stupid idea. Yes, Microsoft doesn't get profit from used games, but it'd probably piss off a lot of their customer base who don't or can't afford games at full retail value.

Oh, there'll still be used games.

You're just going to have to pay an activation fee/online passcode fee to unlock the discs or some bullshit.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Postby jeremy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that people were getting worked up over the no blu-ray drive rumor?

I don't know if people were "worked up", but yea, It was a concern (and it was a rumor).

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum