Advertisement

Do you believe in...?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

Postby L Independant » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:42 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:I think there has to be aliens, and I'm pretty sure they've been here before. We're pretty young in the universe, and if there was an Earth-Like planet closer to the edge, they could be billions of years more advanced than us. We already have numerous theories on how we could get from one point in the Universe to another, we just can't do it... yet. If our species survives, we'll get there eventually.

I'm even willing to believe we're possibly remnants of an Alien civilization, given the number of ancient religions that seem to suggest otherworldly origins. I'm a Christian, but the Bible talks of Angels, of God in the plural, etc. None of these beings have their origins on Earth, so even if they come from Heaven, they are by definition, alien.
I can go with those things.

I think we should separate UFOs from aliens in public discourse - UFOs are real (since they're un-identified, flying, and objects) while the aliens thing is debatable. But I like to think we're not alone. It's plausible.

Advertisement

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:51 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:I can go with those things.

I think we should separate UFOs from aliens in public discourse - UFOs are real (since they're un-identified, flying, and objects) while the aliens thing is debatable. But I like to think we're not alone. It's plausible.

Absolutely. All a UFO is is an object flying that can't be identified. It doesn't mean it comes from another planet. The thing I saw, while not something our Military has in the public, could be something they are testing. People need to remember that experimental military technology is now at least 30 years in advance of the technology we're aware of.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:Absolutely. All a UFO is is an object flying that can't be identified. It doesn't mean it comes from another planet. The thing I saw, while not something our Military has in the public, could be something they are testing. People need to remember that experimental military technology is now at least 30 years in advance of the technology we're aware of.
Exactly. Which means we might have some really cool toys someday. 8)

Carrie

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:32 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:I'm religious, it comes with the territory.

What he said.

Allen
Staff Writer

Title: Two-Time Avatar Hall of Famer

Postby Allen » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:41 pm

It's hard for me to really believe in something I've never experienced. And I just haven't experienced anything paranormal or spiritual or ghostly or whatever.

I won't flat out deny they exist though or refuse to believe anyone who has experienced such things (I am a firm agnostic in all such things). I just haven't experienced them enough to believe. I would like to believe, but I just can't.

Carrie

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby Carrie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:42 pm

True story-

I have a friend who grew up in the suburbs of Memphis in an old farm house. For months they had things that would either be moved from where they put them or had disappeared completely. One day her mom went to take a shower, took her towel from a hook on the back of the door and laid it on the counter beside the tub. When she went to get out, it was gone. She looked and it was hanging back on the hook. She called out to my friend that their friend was back to which my friend replied that maybe it was a ghost. As she was walking out of the bathroom, her mom said "Well I wonder what his name is?" When she went back in the bathroom a few minutes later (keep in mind, they are the only two home), the name "JIM" was written in the steam on the mirror.

KillerShrike
cheese

Postby KillerShrike » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:48 pm

I don't believe in the supernatural (ghosts, magic, gods, monsters, etc) because no one can empirically prove it exists.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:23 pm

KillerShrike wrote:I don't believe in the supernatural (ghosts, magic, gods, monsters, etc) because no one can empirically prove it exists.

Do you believe in evolution?

I follow the line of thought of the astronomer Carl Sagan. While I am skeptical of actual visits from aliens.... I believe it to be HIGHLY unlikely, statistically, for this to be the ONE world in an infinite universe to sprout life.

As for ghosts, twhen i was a kid.... (and after the stories in this thread, I know this is no blockbuster, but it still happened) lots of times, late at night, in my home. we would hear the definte sound of clapping. It was none of us, so who was clapping and why?

We also, in the same house, once had something weird happen in the daytime. My father was in the living room, sitting in his chair. I was on the floor playing with my GI joes. And suddenly, a ball of light, about the size of a can of soda, quickly came in from the halllway, streaked across the room, and out the window. I was just stunned, and my father yelled to my mom in the kitchen "Hey, I think we just had a visitor!"

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby GratefulFred » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:35 pm

Carrie wrote:True story-

I have a friend who grew up in the suburbs of Memphis in an old farm house. For months they had things that would either be moved from where they put them or had disappeared completely. One day her mom went to take a shower, took her towel from a hook on the back of the door and laid it on the counter beside the tub. When she went to get out, it was gone. She looked and it was hanging back on the hook. She called out to my friend that their friend was back to which my friend replied that maybe it was a ghost. As she was walking out of the bathroom, her mom said "Well I wonder what his name is?" When she went back in the bathroom a few minutes later (keep in mind, they are the only two home), the name "JIM" was written in the steam on the mirror.

I'm so gonna have nightmares now!

billyzoom666
cheese

Postby billyzoom666 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:52 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:Well maybe this will stimulate some conversation.

When I was very young, there was this 'thing' that used to be in our house. It was sort of glowing white, but didn't put off any light... I used to say it looked like 'big static', in the shape of a man. It used to walk down the hall to my Sisters room most of the time. I saw it, my sister saw it, friends saw it, our parents saw it. No idea what it was, but one time it talked to me. Very weird.

When I was 20, I was headed to my friend Tony's house in Pearl and took a back road. I saw some lights in the sky and thought it was a lit up fire tower we'd been meaning to climb. It wasn't, it was a HUGE black triangle thing just over the treeline. Made no sound, didn't move, it just sat there in the sky. I got out of the car, it made a very faint hum, shifted and went out over a field so slowly I could have followed it on foot. I kept my mouth shut about it, but over the next week a lot of other people in my town saw the same thing.

Well that sufficiently scared the shit out of me.

edit: I'm a moron, I quoted the wrong part. The part your dad filled you in on scared the shit out of me.
Last edited by billyzoom666 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:54 pm

I pretty much believe in ghosts and ley lines. That's it though.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Re: Do you believe in...?

Postby GLX » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Keb wrote:Illusions, Michael. Illusions!

"Tricks are what a whore does for money."

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

KillerShrike
cheese

Postby KillerShrike » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 pm

Lord Simian wrote:I follow the line of thought of the astronomer Carl Sagan. While I am skeptical of actual visits from aliens.... I believe it to be HIGHLY unlikely, statistically, for this to be the ONE world in an infinite universe to sprout life.

I don't find the idea of life on other planets to be "supernatural", in fact, its pretty logical to believe such things do exist. I don't think they've been visiting our planet using technology that would have to warp the laws of physics to work, however.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:48 am

Zero wrote:I pretty much believe in ghosts and ley lines. That's it though.

What are ley lines?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:53 am

KillerShrike wrote:I don't find the idea of life on other planets to be "supernatural", in fact, its pretty logical to believe such things do exist. I don't think they've been visiting our planet using technology that would have to warp the laws of physics to work, however.

That's the thing though.. and maybe this doesn't make any sense, but I've always found this weird..

People always use the laws of physics as reasoning behind why certain things involving intelligent life can't happen, but...

Who says? The laws of physics are only as we know them. We haven't ventured far enough outside of our galaxy to have any idea of what lays beyond. For all we know, there could be all sorts of wonky stuff out there that has absolutely no explanation in our science.

Remember.. if you were to go back two hundred years and show someone even just your cell phone, they'd call you a witch.

I just don't think we're far enough along as a species to comprehend some of the things out there in the universe.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum