Advertisement

Do you believe in...?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Do you believe in...?

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Do you believe in magic, or other such supernatural or paranormal occurences?

If so, specify..

Being a very skeptical person, I generally have a hard time believing in just about anything out of the ordinary, but reading through one of the old 'Rama threads intrigues me.

Advertisement

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 709 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Does being Presbyterian count?

(and yes, John Calvin already told me what you'll respond with)
-

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I believe in a lot of stuff that falls under the Supernatural banner.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I believe in the possibilities of anything.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:19 pm

To seriously answer your question, I lean towards believing in aliens. I don't think all of the anal-probing trailerfolk are telling the truth, but I do think there is intelligent life 'out there'.

As for ghosts, I dunno. There is a way I can reconcile the existence of ghosts, but I'm just not sure about it.
-

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm religious, it comes with the territory.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Well maybe this will stimulate some conversation.

When I was very young, there was this 'thing' that used to be in our house. It was sort of glowing white, but didn't put off any light... I used to say it looked like 'big static', in the shape of a man. It used to walk down the hall to my Sisters room most of the time. I saw it, my sister saw it, friends saw it, our parents saw it. No idea what it was, but one time it talked to me. Very weird.

When I was 20, I was headed to my friend Tony's house in Pearl and took a back road. I saw some lights in the sky and thought it was a lit up fire tower we'd been meaning to climb. It wasn't, it was a HUGE black triangle thing just over the treeline. Made no sound, didn't move, it just sat there in the sky. I got out of the car, it made a very faint hum, shifted and went out over a field so slowly I could have followed it on foot. I kept my mouth shut about it, but over the next week a lot of other people in my town saw the same thing.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:When I was very young, there was this 'thing' that used to be in our house. It was sort of glowing white, but didn't put off any light... I used to say it looked like 'big static', in the shape of a man. It used to walk down the hall to my Sisters room most of the time. I saw it, my sister saw it, friends saw it, our parents saw it. No idea what it was, but one time it talked to me. Very weird.
What the hell? I got goosebumps reading that!

Was it late at night when you would see the Static Man? That is spooky!

I have a cousin that lived in an old house in Magee, Mississippi. The previous owners said there was a ghost of a little girl in that house, so they shouldn't be surprised if they heard the sounds of a little girl playing. And according to my cousin, he and his wife occasionally heard those sounds. I'm sure it was an animal in the attic or something explainable, but that would still creep me out.
-

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 159 posts

Postby misac » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm skeptical on ghosts but if someone says they have a haunted room in their house I won't go near it just in case. :D

I think their are aliens but who knows if they've visited Earth.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 374 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Do you believe in...?

Postby Keb » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:44 pm

DaReekstah wrote:Image

Do you believe in magic, or other such supernatural or paranormal occurences?

If so, specify..

Being a very skeptical person, I generally have a hard time believing in just about anything out of the ordinary, but reading through one of the old 'Rama threads intrigues me.
Illusions, Michael. Illusions!
SHABBA!

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:51 pm

cncoyle wrote:What the hell? I got goosebumps reading that!

Was it late at night when you would see the Static Man? That is spooky!

I have a cousin that lived in an old house in Magee, Mississippi. The previous owners said there was a ghost of a little girl in that house, so they shouldn't be surprised if they heard the sounds of a little girl playing. And according to my cousin, he and his wife occasionally heard those sounds. I'm sure it was an animal in the attic or something explainable, but that would still creep me out.

Dude... I lived just north of Magee, we used to go there to 'Ride the Block'. lol

We only saw this at night, but it would come though the house even with the lights on. It was literally just like a man composed of light, with a few darker areas that sort of moved like static would. It's hard to explain, really.

The night it talked to me, I had woke up like I usually did and was calling my dad to take me to get a glass of water. I was awake and sitting up in the bed. It came by the door and said, "What do you want?". I said, "I want a glass of water..." (wasn't scared at all, and I really should have been freaking out). Then it started talking, but I don't remember anything it said, even the jist of it. I started screaming for my dad, and instantly he was running down the hall with a shotgun and my mom was screaming and crying.

I'd ask them about this over the years and they'd always block any talk of it, it just wasn't to be discussed, ever, at all. about 5 years ago, I told my Dad I really wanted to know what they remembered about it, and he very reluctantly told me.

They were in bed, and he heard me calling for him. He went to get up, and these black figures were surrounding the bed... doing absolutely nothing, but him and my mom couldn't move or talk. My mom was crying though. They kinda vanished, and my dad got his gun, and right then was when I really started screaming. All the doors were locked, and they didn't find anything to suggest anyone was in the house.

I really don't ever talk about this, because it's kinda embarrassing, and it scares the crap out of me to even think about it.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:52 pm

Just to clarify, my skepticism doesn't extend to aliens. I definitely believe that there is intelligent life out there that may or may not have visited our planet. Abductions, on the other hand, are teetering on the edge of believability for me..

Ghosts? Well.. it's like this.. I'm atheist, so it's very difficult for me to even begin to accept that ghosts may be real in any way, shape, or form. Basically, it's tough for me to believe in anything I can't see (or come to believe in logically as with a intelligent life in the universe.)

But I love hearing about people's stories about ghosts, and I love reading up on haunted places. The prison where they filmed the Shawshank Redemption is about an hour's drive from Cleveland, and I've been there a couple times now, and it's supposedly one of the most haunted places in the US. I went there on Halloween two years ago, and I just didn't feel it.. I thought it was all pretty silly. BUT.. that was during one of those lame "haunted house" things, where people jump out at you with their faces all makeup-ed up. And I can't take that seriously at all.

But there are many reports of people feeling SOMETHING inside that prison.. a general feeling of just.. wrongness, weighing down on them.

So while I don't necessarily believe in ghosts.. I can't reasonably explain so many different people's stories. It's a very intriguing topic for me.

As for magic? I dunno.. I know Grant Morrison practices chaos magic or whatever it is.. and I vaguely remember some posters in the 'rama threads about this topic saying they believe in/practice it as well. I can't say whether or not I believe in it.. I just don't know enough about it, but I'm very intrigued.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Holy shit, I seriously got tingles up and down my spine reading that part about your parents, Thunderstorm. Thanks for talking about that--while it's seriously messed up, it's VERY interesting.
-

Jeff
Post Whore

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:19 pm

I believe the human mind cannot possibly comprehend all there is to the universe. On the other hand my human mind cannot possibly comprehend the appeal of 'American Idol' so what do I know?
The poster formerly known as Kiwiboy

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:37 pm

I think there has to be aliens, and I'm pretty sure they've been here before. We're pretty young in the universe, and if there was an Earth-Like planet closer to the edge, they could be billions of years more advanced than us. We already have numerous theories on how we could get from one point in the Universe to another, we just can't do it... yet. If our species survives, we'll get there eventually.

I'm even willing to believe we're possibly remnants of an Alien civilization, given the number of ancient religions that seem to suggest otherworldly origins. I'm a Christian, but the Bible talks of Angels, of God in the plural, etc. None of these beings have their origins on Earth, so even if they come from Heaven, they are by definition, alien.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum