Advertisement

Zack Snyder Trolls Fans, Says His Superman is True to Comics, Fans are Stuck in the Past

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts

Zack Snyder Trolls Fans, Says His Superman is True to Comics, Fans are Stuck in the Past

Postby LOLtron » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Snyder has had enough of fans talking trash about his neck-snapping, city-destroying Man of Steel, and he's not going to take it anymore!

Source: Forbes

Zack Snyder gave an interview to Forbes on Friday about his plans for Superman vs. Batman, and he took some time out to blame fans for not getting his interpretation of the Man of Steel, saying that, if you really think about it, his murdering, making-out-with-Lois-in-the-midst-of-city-wide-destruction version of Superman is the real one, and fans just can't let go of Christopher Reeve:

I think with Superman we have this opportunity to place this icon within the sort of real world we live in. And I think that, honestly, the thing I was surprised about in response to Superman was how everyone clings to the Christopher Reeve version of Superman, you know? How tightly they cling to those ideas, not really the comic book version but more the movie version… If you really analyze the comic book version of Superman, he’s killed, he’s done all the things– I guess the rules that people associate with Superman in the movie world are not the rules that really apply to him in the comic book world, because those rules are different. He’s done all the things and more that we’ve shown him doing, right? It’s just funny to see people really taking it personally… because I made him real, you know, I made him feel, or made consequences [in] the world. I felt like, it was the same thing in Watchmen. We really wanted to show it wasn’t just like they thought, like the PG-13 version where everyone just gets up and they’re fine. I really wanted to show the violence is real, people get killed or get hurt, and it’s not fun or funny. And I guess for me, it was like I wanted a hero in Superman that was a real hero and sort of reflected the world we live in now…

Bwahaha! Thoughts?

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Scintillant-H likes this post.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Zack Snyder Trolls Fans, Says His Superman is True to Co

Postby habitual » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:08 pm

This is the digital equivalent of taking a dump on Spektre's front porch :smt005

Hab

Rick Horner
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 260 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Zack Snyder Trolls Fans, Says His Superman is True to Comics, Fans are Stuck in the Past

Postby Rick Horner » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 pm

truer to the comic books huh? I'd laugh if I didn't think he actually believed that.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 343 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Well I'd cling more if there was a better Superman movie. Until then Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut will do. Or the original. Or Quest for Peace which is still a more enjoyable film than Man of Steel.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

2 people like this post.

Jazzpha
Birdman

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Jazzpha » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:48 pm

I'm reminded a bit of the piece that ran here recently written by BlueStreak, discussing the rape scene in Invincible #110.

In particular, the idea that a shocking moment of violence or something similar only really has meaning or significance if it winds up having a deeper, profound impact on the characters who enact or are affected by said violent act.

So for me, it boils down to whether or not Snyder's insistence (and he's also said this before, in other places) that Superman's violence against Zod will actually motivate his character to develop in some way holds true or not.

I don't think it will, mind you, but I think the fallout from this moment (in this case, Zod's murder) will really either partially vindicate it, or even further damn it into the depths of awfulness. We'll see, but I'm not optimistic.

And yes, I realize I didn't really touch on the differences between comic Supes and MoS Supes, but I figure that's more y'all's forte than it is mine.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 597 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Terrible director defends a terrible movie in the most banal way possible :?

3 people like this post.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 874 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 pm

No surprise whatsoever that Snyder remains ignorant of how these characters are handled in comics. Indeed, the very fact that he thinks Watchmen is a blueprint for handling DC characters handily demonstrates this cluelessness. As I've mentioned before, there are excellent reasons why the Charlton heroes were saved from going down that route, and one of them is that such a downcast, Deconstructive tack doesn't fit the DCU.

Clearly, all we can expect from this fool is "Six more weeks of Snyderman and his Snyder Friends". :roll:

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 470 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Here is my response:

I think with Superman we have this opportunity to place this icon within the sort of real world we live in. And I think that, honestly, the thing I was surprised about in response to Superman was how everyone clings to the Christopher Reeve version of Superman, you know? How tightly they cling to those ideas, not really the comic book version but more the movie version…

Couple of points here, Zack-o.

One. They cling to the Christopher Reeve version because it was GOOD, and they rejected yours compared to it because yours was BAD. Reeve's Superman was the Superman we all imagined. He looked the part. He acted the part. He WAS the part. Margot Kidder talks about this in the DVD expanded edition... how they screen tested multiple actors, but when Reeve, even skinny as he was before he bulked up, hopped down onto her balcony and said, "Good evening, Miss Lane," he fucking WAS Superman. End of story. YOUR guy, Zack-o... wasn't. He never owned the role. He never seemed comfortable in it. He never seemed to fly. Your movie's SFX should have run circles around Donner's but still Reeve is the one, not Clavill, who seemed to fly for real.

Two. Donner/Reeves' movie was so fucking good that the comics changed to become more like the movie. DC adopted many of the movie's ideas because they were so awesome. Guess what one of the BIG one was Zack? One of the ones YOU adopted in your movie? The S shield being like a coat of arms. That's right, Zacky-pie... you used this idea. It was on your movie's website. "Which house do you belong to?" And we could get symbols for the houses. You think you got that from the comics? Well the comics got that from the first movie. Even the New fucking Fifty-two has the S shield being a coat of arms, the symbol for the house of El. Thank you Marlon Brando -- it was HIS idea. From that first movie.

Oh and one more thing: In your movie, Lois Lane sort of comes up with the name "Superman." Remember that scene? It was even in all the commercials. Guess where that came from? That's right, the DONNER FILM buddy-boy. Lois came up with the name when she said, "What a super man... hm... Superman!" After the famous flying sequence. Again... co-opted into the comic-books after the movie, because it was so good of an idea.

If you really analyze the comic book version of Superman, he’s killed, he’s done all the things– I guess the rules that people associate with Superman in the movie world are not the rules that really apply to him in the comic book world, because those rules are different. He’s done all the things and more that we’ve shown him doing, right?

Yes. The crap-ass modern version of Superman has done all those shitty things. The ORIGINAL Superman, on whom the Christopher Reeve version was based, had a Code against Killing, buddy boy. You've got it all backwards. People didn't like the Christopher Reeve movie-version Superman INSTEAD of the comic version. They liked the movie version because it was just like the comic version that was in print at the time... and the changes they made for the movie were so much BETTER than the comic, that the comics adopted them!

For 20 or 30 years bracketing the Donner film (early 70s to early 90s), the version you saw out of Christpher Reeve WAS the version you saw in the comic. The two were of a piece. So what people are bitching about, isn't just YOUR crap-ass movie Superman... they're bitching about the loss of Superman period, in all media, because he's not the man he used to be.

It’s just funny to see people really taking it personally… because I made him real, you know, I made him feel, or made consequences [in] the world. I felt like, it was the same thing in Watchmen. We really wanted to show it wasn’t just like they thought, like the PG-13 version where everyone just gets up and they’re fine. I really wanted to show the violence is real, people get killed or get hurt, and it’s not fun or funny. And I guess for me, it was like I wanted a hero in Superman that was a real hero and sort of reflected the world we live in now.

This shows, Zack, that you know fucking NOTHING about Superman. A Superman story is not SUPPOSED to be a story where everyone gets hurt and killed and it all "feels real." Superman is fantasy. He is upbeat. He is a symbol of hope. You even say that in your movie, but where is the hope? Your movie is gloomy, depressing, hopeless, and soulless. You think your Superman is real? No. He's flat. He's boring. He has no PERSONALITY. He's just an action figure.

REAL is Christopher Reeve. REAL is Dean Cain. Your Superman is a cardboard cutout. Your whole MOVIE was a cardboard cutout.

Those of us who hated it? We hated it because it SUCKED. That's the bottom line.

IN the 1980s, Chris Reeve gave an interview where he explained all this. He says, in part, that he liked playing Superman because he was "a character who's caring, who loves people, who's considerate, who's a gentleman... as a possible antidote to the Rambos and the Chuck Norrises and the Schwarzeneggers . I think all of THOSE are the comic-books, as a matter of fact." Reeve talks about offering Superman to the moms of America wanting to know where to bring their 12 year olds on a Friday night as something more "sound" and more "real" than a lot of the alternatives out there. To Reeve, Zacky, YOUR stuff was the unrealistic fiction.

Later in the same interview Reeve says, "In a Superman film, nobody dies." That it is a cheerful, upbeat movie. His point, Zacky, is that you can have all your hopeless "realism" shit in any other movie you want, but keep it the FUCK away from Superman.

7 people like this post.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby AngusH » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm

I'll play devil's advocate. Superman is an alien who came to Earth, was raised by a Kansas farmer and wife, discovered he had powers, becomes a do-gooder. Outside of that, like every other DC and Marvel character, his personality/character has varied wildly across different eras and creative teams. The Superman I read in Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus might as well be a different character from the Superman pre or post Nu52, and he himself was very different from the mob battling Superman of the good ole' days.

I'd wager nearly everyone that saw Man of Steel didn't care or notice any significant departure from the Superman character. The louder minority of Superman fans, however, are unhappy because this Superman doesn't fit the mould of the Superman-era that they personally prefer or are familiar with.

The movie did suck though, but for reasons a lot more fundamental than Superman killing someone.

Will_Ripamonti
Inhouser

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby Will_Ripamonti » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 pm

*siiigh* What a delusional idiot...

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 470 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:00 pm

AngusH wrote:I'd wager nearly everyone that saw Man of Steel didn't care or notice any significant departure from the Superman character. The louder minority of Superman fans, however, are unhappy because this Superman doesn't fit the mould of the Superman-era that they personally prefer or are familiar with.

Although you are right, that our brains are "calibrated" by the first Superman we encounter and that one seems "right" to us, I think something else is at play here. Snyder is in a huff because, although his picture made money, nobody thinks of Clavill as the undeniable, ultimate Superman. Reeve is still that. Even people who liked this movie tend to admit that Christopher Reeve is still more their picture of Superman that Clavill was. Snyder is taking umbrage at this, on behalf of his actor and his version... but I think it says something that most folks seem to feel this way.

Reeve looked the part more. He acted the part more. He BECAME the role more. He looked like he was really, truly, flying. He WAS Superman.

One simply cannot say this for Clavill.

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 143 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:02 pm

In 1987, Predator had a budget of $15 million and a worldwide gross of $98,267,558. Superman IV's budget was $17 million and it lost money; I can't find a worldwide gross but it only made $15 million domestic. I'll never forget how empty the theater was on opening day and how embarrassed I felt by the time "Nucular Man" and Superman were fighting on the moon.

Long before his franchise ended, the world said "No thanks!" to Reeve's antidote; Singer beats the dead horse 19 years later and the world still says "Meh." Man of Steel made more money than Iron Man, Batman Begins, and Thor but a couple thousand haters on the internet have it right and millions of satisfied customers/WB/Zack Snyder have it all wrong...

:smt011

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 pm

The Beast wrote:Image

In 1987, Predator had a budget of $15 million and a worldwide gross of $98,267,558. Superman IV's budget was $17 million and it lost money; I can't find a worldwide gross but it only made $15 million domestic. I'll never forget how empty the theater was on opening day and how embarrassed I felt by the time "Nucular Man" and Superman were fighting on the moon.

Long before his franchise ended, the world said "No thanks!" to Reeve's antidote; Singer beats the dead horse 19 years later and the world still says "Meh." Man of Steel made more money than Iron Man, Batman Begins, and Thor but a couple thousand haters on the internet have it right and millions of satisfied customers/WB/Zack Snyder have it all wrong...

:smt011

Wow, you really missed the mark here. Read up on the history of Superman IV. It had much less to do with the world saying "no thanks" to Reeves Superman and much more to do with Cannon Films basically releasing a movie that they ran out of money for in the middle of making it. And as an aside, MOS should have made more money than Iron Man based on character recognition by the average movie goer. Before it opened, I could count the amount of co-workers who'd ever even heard of Iron Man on one hand.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Wow, Snyder really opened himself up for a whole load of butthurt with those statements he made, didn't he?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum