Advertisement

Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz
User avatar
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106
 
Posts: 14446
Likes: 2644 posts
Liked in: 396 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby HNutz » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 am

achilles wrote:
How so? It's a totally different situation than what Zimmerman was facing, actual potentially lethal violence being done to him at that time. Self defense laws don't allow you to blast away based on something you think MIGHT happen, unless a reasonable person agrees with you that it is very likely you WILL suffer death or great bodily harm.

The only thing Stand Your Ground laws do is take away the duty to retreat, (which of course didn't apply in Zimmerman's case in any event, since he couldn't retreat). They don't allow you to shoot whoever you feel like shooting. As an examination of the outcomes of those cases I provided an indirect link to a couple of dozen posts ago proves.



habitual wrote:Again, irony = astounding.

Hab


You mean the part where Zimmerman WAS getting attacked?

Look at the next sentence. "unless a reasonable person agrees with you that it is very likely you WILL suffer death or great bodily harm." It doesn't seem crazy to suggest that would have suffered death or great bodily harm had Martin continued.

It's not against the law for Zimmerman to walk on the sidewalk. Nor Martin.
It's not against the law for Zimmerman to say something to Martin. Or vice versa.

Neither of these are offenses that you can shoot someone for.

When you return to confront someone, begin bashing their head into the pavement and tell them they're going to die... that's where you lose me.

Advertisement

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18603
Likes: 89 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby habitual » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:57 am

HNutz wrote:



You mean the part where Zimmerman WAS getting attacked?

Look at the next sentence. "unless a reasonable person agrees with you that it is very likely you WILL suffer death or great bodily harm." It doesn't seem crazy to suggest that would have suffered death or great bodily harm had Martin continued.

It's not against the law for Zimmerman to walk on the sidewalk. Nor Martin.
It's not against the law for Zimmerman to say something to Martin. Or vice versa.

Neither of these are offenses that you can shoot someone for.

When you return to confront someone, begin bashing their head into the pavement and tell them they're going to die... that's where you lose me.


I never said that.

Hab

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 35997
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 19 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby Frag » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:58 am

The law isn't that clear though. I think the issue is the vagueness.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27427
Likes: 88 posts
Liked in: 270 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby Rockman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:54 am

you guys must be pretty unstable if you think someone being creepy is reasonable cause to use force against them :lol:

Zimmerman contacted the cops, Martin chose to assault the Zimmerman. You can tap dance around the issue to make it fit into your racist narrative or your anti-gun narrative all you want but this is getting ridiculous.

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27427
Likes: 88 posts
Liked in: 270 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby Rockman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:03 am

habitual wrote:

Behaving like a thug = black in bumfuck Canada.

Hab


Lobster J, and Pastajoe also brought up race in the last page

None of you guys are defending Zimmerman Hab.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66128
Likes: 580 posts
Liked in: 401 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 am

habitual wrote:

Behaving like a thug = black in bumfuck Canada.

Hab


Where do you get that from?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 35997
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 19 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby Frag » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Rockman wrote:you guys must be pretty unstable if you think someone being creepy is reasonable cause to use force against them :lol:

Zimmerman contacted the cops, Martin chose to assault the Zimmerman. You can tap dance around the issue to make it fit into your racist narrative or your anti-gun narrative all you want but this is getting ridiculous.


I'm not saying that. I'm saying that it's a poorly written law that leaves too much open to interpretation.

Florida's law: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 6.013.html

I don't know about anyone else here, but I think that not guilty was the right verdict. I don't know one way or another if Zimmerman was a racist or not. I won't call him that and I think people who defend him by trying to smear a 17-year-old are pathetic. I also think that Zimmerman is a dope caused the death of an innocent kid because of his negligence.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27427
Likes: 88 posts
Liked in: 270 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby Rockman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:01 pm

I just don't see how he caused anything when Martin is the one who assaulted him. Prior to that no crimes were committed (aside from the alleged trespassing) :smt102

But we've been over that a thousand times, no need to reiterate everything

I won't argue with you about the wording of the law, I don't live in florida nor do I have any inclinations against modifying the phrasing in a law to make sure it can't be abused.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66128
Likes: 580 posts
Liked in: 401 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:03 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that it's a poorly written law that leaves too much open to interpretation.

Florida's law: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 6.013.html

I don't know about anyone else here, but I think that not guilty was the right verdict. I don't know one way or another if Zimmerman was a racist or not. I won't call him that and I think people who defend him by trying to smear a 17-year-old are pathetic. I also think that Zimmerman is a dope caused the death of an innocent kid because of his negligence.


This.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 35997
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 19 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby Frag » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Rockman wrote:I just don't see how he caused anything when Martin is the one who assaulted him. Prior to that no crimes were committed (aside from the alleged trespassing) :smt102

But we've been over that a thousand times, no need to reiterate everything

I won't argue with you about the wording of the law, I don't live in florida nor do I have any inclinations against modifying the phrasing in a law to make sure it can't be abused.


It's his fault even if he didn't break the law.

He set everything in motion.

It's like when two people are arguing in a car and the driver stops paying attention to the road, hitting someone. It isn't against the law to argue while driving, but it still is the driver's fault.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

dairydead
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9687
Likes: 24 posts
Liked in: 74 posts
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:12 am
Location: Detroit


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby dairydead » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:26 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
I also think that Zimmerman is a dope caused the death of an innocent kid because of his negligence.


That's pretty much it right there.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

dairydead
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9687
Likes: 24 posts
Liked in: 74 posts
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:12 am
Location: Detroit


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby dairydead » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Rockman wrote:I just don't see how he caused anything when Martin is the one who assaulted him. Prior to that no crimes were committed (aside from the alleged trespassing) :smt102

But we've been over that a thousand times, no need to reiterate everything

I won't argue with you about the wording of the law, I don't live in florida nor do I have any inclinations against modifying the phrasing in a law to make sure it can't be abused.


Its just how it is. To a lot of people, "disrespect" is grounds for physical retaliation. A lot of people think that someone that disrespects someone else should be beat down. I've talked to a few of my black friends about this and they all mostly say the same thing: That GZ started it, so TM had every right to fight him. From there, they just start talking about him being a kid, skittles, and iced tea, so it gets pretty mind numbingly dumb after that, but still.

And the race thing, you have to see it in the bigger picture. This isn't necessarily a race issue because some blatant racism on GZ's part. I don't think anyone thinks that its convenient and cut and dry, but because it fits into the larger narrative of black youths getting killed and no one giving a shit. The black community took to this case not as a specific case, but as an indicator for institutional racism as a whole. I don't see a problem with that.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 75987
Likes: 391 posts
Liked in: 547 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:34 pm

I... agree with Dairy.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18630
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:42 pm

If this is a problem with institutional racism, maybe Obama and Holder should be looking at why George Zimmerman might have assumed a hoodie-wearing black kid walking around in the rain might have been suspicious to him.

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 75987
Likes: 391 posts
Liked in: 547 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:43 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:If this is a problem with institutional racism, maybe Obama and Holder should be looking at why George Zimmerman might have assumed a hoodie-wearing black kid walking around in the rain might have been suspicious to him.


Why do you think he would have?
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 39 guests

Advertisement