Advertisement

Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 116 posts

Re: Zimmerman/Martin Trial Thread

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Oh my Jesus Ntkrist is like GOSD on 11.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:51 pm

LobsterJ wrote:Oh my Jesus Ntkrist is like GOSD on 11.

Scooter is actually a great deal smarter.

Hab

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:53 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

I sadly concur.

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 143 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:01 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

LobsterJ wrote:
I sadly concur.

Wow that really hurts, ladies. Shutting me out and gossiping like that, I tell ya that really cuts deep.

Bah

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:02 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
I sadly concur.

His tantrums are the best though :groucho:

Hab

achilles
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:06 pm

habitual wrote:
Check your post history.

Back on topic: I agree with achilles, Zimmerman will most likely be found guilty of manslaughter, an appeal though is a real stretch. The judge has a sterling reputation and has handled the trial fairly well.

Watching West have kittens about the child abuse charge this morning was highly entertaining.

Hab

I don't know about the judge's reputation, but it took a huge hit here. Very experienced reporters covering trial beats have already said they've never seen behavior from a judge like this. And I counted about 7 different grounds for appeal before it got too much.

Basically, she's favored the prosecution on nearly every motion, while being openly hostile to the defense. It seemed like she was trying to hand them grounds for appeal, as well as trying to force the jury to convict.

So, yeah, I disagree, I think he'll appeal and win.

Hell, the police departed completely from procedure in many ways. It seems to have been actually more poorly investigated then the OJ trial, and the prosecution was accused of quite a bit of misconduct. That's aside from what the judge did.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:08 pm

achilles wrote:
I don't know about the judge's reputation, but it took a huge hit here. Very experienced reporters covering trial beats have already said they've never seen behavior from a judge like this. And I counted about 7 different grounds for appeal before it got too much.

Basically, she's favored the prosecution on nearly every motion, while being openly hostile to the defense. It seemed like she was trying to hand them grounds for appeal, as well as trying to force the jury to convict.

So, yeah, I disagree, I think he'll appeal and win.

Hell, the police departed completely from procedure in many ways. It seems to have been actually more poorly investigated then the OJ trial, and the prosecution was accused of quite a bit of misconduct. That's aside from what the judge did.

Don West objecting to a judge's question I thought was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of from a trial lawyer.

Hab

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 143 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:11 pm

habitual wrote:
His tantrums are the best though :groucho:

Hab

It's not a tantrum, it's a jihad. Get used to it. :wink:

Bah

achilles
WTF is this rank?

Postby achilles » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:34 pm

habitual wrote:

Don West objecting to a judge's question I thought was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of from a trial lawyer.

Hab

I don't blame him. The judge was biased from the start, and didn't even bother to try to conceal it. Hell, she gave him "more time" to respond to the third degree murder with "child abuse" charge the prosecution dumped on him minutes before---ONE HOUR, over lunch!

She was absurdly biased.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 pm

achilles wrote:
I don't blame him. The judge was biased from the start, and didn't even bother to try to conceal it. Hell, she gave him "more time" to respond to the third degree murder with "child abuse" charge the prosecution dumped on him minutes before---ONE HOUR, over lunch!

She was absurdly biased.

There was more than one trial attorney saying he was lucky he didn't walk out of that court room in shackles.

Hab

achilles
WTF is this rank?

Postby achilles » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:53 pm

habitual wrote:
There was more than one trial attorney saying he was lucky he didn't walk out of that court room in shackles.

Hab

I haven't seen a single one say that. Regardless, she just handed grounds for a successful appeal to them right there, as it was clearly an attempt to prejudice the jury. What she did there is NEVER done.

The judge NEVER asks the defendant if he intends to testify. She finds out when the defense rests and he has or has not. She certainly doesn't do it in front of the jury while reminding him he has the "right to remain silent", thus impugning his credibility.

She also didn't allow Treyvon's texts about his love of fighting, and the fights he's been in, or the guns he wants to buy or has. Or pretty much any evidence helpful to the defense.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was actually suborned by someone. We already know the former police chief was fired for not arresting Zimmerman, even though he thought the evidence wasn't there. And we also know that both the investigation and the prosecution were very abnormal, designed to get one conclusion rather than the truth, and in at least one case criminal.

When all is said and done, the judge might be the one in shackles if there's any justice.

The case is about one thing and one thing only, and the prosecution summed it up in their closing statements by essentially saying that the jury is racist if they don't convict Zimmerman, about the most blatant appeal to racism I can recall in a trial.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:57 pm

The jury wasn't in the room when she asked the question.

Hab

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 pm

achilles wrote:The case is about one thing and one thing only, and the prosecution summed it up in their closing statements by essentially saying that the jury is racist if they don't convict Zimmerman, about the most blatant appeal to racism I can recall in a trial.

White people need to get over that word. It's pretty much the N-word for white people. Of course, nobody will fire you if they suspect you might be a nigger. So it's kinda worse.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
White people need to get over that word. It's pretty much the N-word for white people. Of course, nobody will fire you if they suspect you might be a nigger. So it's kinda worse.

Never liked the n word myself. Too much negative connotations to it.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 pm

bkthomson wrote:Never liked the n word myself. Too much negative connotations to it.

It's not a good word.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum