Advertisement

$100 (+/-) for Heroes Con - What should I get?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post

Postby The Juan Percenter » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:13 pm

nietoperz wrote:There was this guy over at the Rama called onemoment who railed against floppies, calling them 'chapbooks.' An actual chapbook is just a booklet or pamphlet that can fit in your pocket.

I guess onemoment was wearing parachute pants if he could fold a comic into his pockets.

Advertisement

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Re: $100 (+/-) for Heroes Con - What should I get?

Postby Dugan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:16 pm

cncoyle wrote:[*]Annihilation Conquest (I frickin' loved Annihilation; does the sequel hold up?)

It's definitely not as good as the first but it's still a decent event, ithe main series is a little weak but the prologue and mini's are good imo. Are you thinking about getting the HC's or singles? If you haven't read the Nova series i'd suggest getting the first trade of that too because it ties into Conwuest somewhat and is just brilliant imo.

[*]Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps (I haven't read any of it. I hate Superboy Prime, and I know he's in it, but how much? Does his presence spoil the whole thing?)

He's actually a pretty pointless character to have in it and i kind of found him annoyinh (this was my first experience) but he's pretty much in the background until the last few issues. Also a gppd series overall, not as good as Annihilation but a little better than Conquest.

[*]Death of Captain America Volumes 1 & 2

Nothing to say about it which hasn't already been, one of the best books out there right now.

[*]Thor Volume 1 (I haven't read any of this series, either. Is it pretty much stand-alone stories or tied into Civil War stuff?)

It's very standalone, the only tie-in is Iron Man appearing in issue 3 (which is definitely the worst issue as it's preachy and IM's poorly written as he always is by JMS). It's setting up a new status quo but if you want to know how they got to the point of needing to set it up i'd read Thor: Dissassembled by Oeming, best thing to come out of Dissassembled.

If you have any other suggestions, even non-mainstream stuff, I'm open to good stand-alone stories.[/img]

As already said; Nova Vol 1 and Thor: Dissasembled. Also Books of Doom is a great standalone mini by Brubaker, essential for any fan of Doom. The Ares mini is a good reinvention of the character and great use of mythology by Oeming. As Nieto said Booster Gold is great, i haven't been liking the recent issues as much but the first four or so are superb. And I always suggest Scott Pilgrim but it may not be your thing

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:16 pm

That may explain a lot, actually...

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 102 posts

Postby misac » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Monster Society is worth it. I'd also hit up the tables with half of on trades.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:29 pm

cncoyle wrote:WHAT IS PROOF?

PROOF, VOL. 1: GOATSUCKER TP
story ALEX GRECIAN, art & cover RILEY ROSSMO

128 PAGES, FC, $9.99

If you believe in monsters Proof doesn’t leave urban legends where it finds them. Bigfoot wears a suit to the office. Fairies devour anyone in sight. A lonely monster wears human skins for company. The hit series starts here.

Collects PROOF #1-5

here are some reviews:
issue one: http://forum.newsarama.com/showpost.php?p=4625807&postcount=32
issue two: http://forum.newsarama.com/showpost.php?p=4850796&postcount=484
and a whole thread devoted to issue #6: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=151436

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:03 pm

Definitely shop around. There will be a lot of dealers there offering deals on trades.

Off your list, I'd suggest Sinestro Corps and Monster Society.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 558 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 pm

Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
...(Superboy Prime) He's actually a pretty pointless character to have in it and i kind of found him annoyinh (this was my first experience) but he's pretty much in the background until the last few issues. Also a gppd series overall, not as good as Annihilation but a little better than Conquest.

(Death of Captain America) Nothing to say about it which hasn't already been, one of the best books out there right now.

...but if you want to know how they got to the point of needing to set it up i'd read Thor: Dissassembled by Oeming, best thing to come out of Dissassembled.

As already said; Nova Vol 1 and Thor: Dissasembled.
Thank you very much for your input, DDD. Looks like Death of Captain America & Monster Society have moved up higher on my list, and I'll check out Nova 1 and Thor: Dissassembled before Annihilation: Conquest & the new Thor.

And I'll take a look at Scott Pilgrim, but I've never really read much about the character beyond an occasional post by Punchy (and you understand what kind of association that kid leaves...:P)
-

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 229 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:18 am

I think you shouldn't get those. I'm sure you'll enjoy them but the hardcover trades are ridiculously priced.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 558 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:06 am

PROOF looks very cool, 4th--I'll keep an eye out for that, too.
john lewis wrote:I think you shouldn't get those. I'm sure you'll enjoy them but the hardcover trades are ridiculously priced.
Really? Don't most retail around $20-$25? And at Heroes, there are a handful of booths that have hundreds of trades & hardcovers that are 2/3 off, some even half off. I don't think $12-$16 for a hardcover is too much.
-

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:30 am

Scalped by Jason Aaron

I can't sing this book's praises highly enough. It's easily the best series to come out of Vertigo in a long time.

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby AaronW » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:12 am

cncoyle wrote:BAH! Keep your floppy offerings AWAY from me!
I want bookshelf-quality stuff or by onemoment's sacred name, I will strike you down! :twisted:

Hail onemoment. He was a prophet that I mocked at the time. Now I know he spoke true. Alas he was gone before I could admit my folly.

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:43 pm

smited by the brady, but not before returning as Juanmoment and many others

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby AaronW » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:53 pm

To honor onemoment I'm going to burn all 20 longboxes of chapbooks this weekend since they are mostly being replaced by trades, which look great on my bookshelf and save me an average of $2.69 per trade versus buying the floppies.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Aaron_W wrote:To honor onemoment I'm going to burn all 20 longboxes of chapbooks this weekend since they are mostly being replaced by trades, which look great on my bookshelf and save me an average of $2.69 per trade versus buying the floppies.

Give them to charity!

jza1218

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby jza1218 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:39 pm

nietoperz wrote:Give them to charity!

Nah burning is the right idea

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand