Advertisement

$100 (+/-) for Heroes Con - What should I get?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1045 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

$100 (+/-) for Heroes Con - What should I get?

Postby outsider » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:39 pm

I typically play the martyr and put any birthday money back into our checking account to be absorbed towards paying bills. This time, however, my wife is insisting that I spend birthday money on myself. While I'm going to use a loophole and get my children some vintage Superman, Batman, JLA, Spidey, Hulk, etc. children's books (esp. Fischer-Price if I can find them), I just might do as I'm told for once.

What do y'all think I should get? Besides my ongoing search for DC Blue Ribbon Digests and that damned Spider-Woman paperback from the early 80's, I'm currently leaning towards something from the following list (depending upon price, natch):
  • Superman: Camelot Falls Volumes 1 & 2
  • Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil
  • Annihilation Conquest (I frickin' loved Annihilation; does the sequel hold up?)
  • Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps (I haven't read any of it. I hate Superboy Prime, and I know he's in it, but how much? Does his presence spoil the whole thing?)
  • Death of Captain America Volumes 1 & 2
  • Thor Volume 1 (I haven't read any of this series, either. Is it pretty much stand-alone stories or tied into Civil War stuff?)
Two purchases from Heroes last year were Gaiman's & JRJr's Eternals and Bendis's Spider-Woman: Origin. I liked how both were pretty much stand-alone.

If you have any other suggestions, even non-mainstream stuff, I'm open to good stand-alone stories.
-

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 280 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Have you read Sandman? :-)

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

Postby L Independant » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:45 pm

I heard many people were surprised by how good Sinestro Corps was.

Off list, I'd tell you to hit up Indie Island and see what stuff you can find. :wink:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 pm

ONE WORD:

PROOF.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:51 pm

nietoperz wrote:Have you read Sandman? :-)
Hell, yeah. I have all of the trades, companion novels and even the Death Manga by the glorious Jill Thompson. I would love to get the Absolute books, but that's not going to happen at least until my wife goes back to work full-time (in seven or eight years). :shock: :P
-

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:52 pm

How about Seven Soldiers?

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:53 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:Off list, I'd tell you to hit up Indie Island and see what stuff you can find. :wink:
There are so many cool books on Indie Island, but DAMN they get expensive. And I find that indie books can be very hit or miss, but that's more from my lack of knowledge of what they're offering.
nietoperz wrote:How about Seven Soldiers?
Ah, good suggestion. No, I haven't read it, but I absolutely loved All-Star Superman Volume 1. It was one of the best Superman books I have read in a long, long time.

Is Seven Soldiers more superhero fun like GM's JLA and DC 1,000,000 or is it more cerebral like his Vertigo work (esp. Watchmen;))?
-

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby The Juan Percenter » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:56 pm

If you are interested in the new Thor series, you should bid on my eBay auction. I am selling all 9 issues for $6.99 :-D

I am selling Seven Soldiers as well. Might as well same some money for the convention!
Last edited by The Juan Percenter on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:ONE WORD:

PROOF.
Three words:

What is PROOF? :?
milton73 wrote:If you are interested in the new Thor series, you should bid on my eBay auction. I am selling all 9 issues for $6.99 :-D
BAH! Keep your floppy offerings AWAY from me!
I want bookshelf-quality stuff or by onemoment's sacred name, I will strike you down! :twisted:
-

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:58 pm

cncoyle wrote:Ah, good suggestion. No, I haven't read it, but I absolutely loved All-Star Superman Volume 1. It was one of the best Superman books I have read in a long, long time.

Is Seven Soldiers more superhero fun like GM's JLA and DC 1,000,000 or is it more cerebral like his Vertigo work (esp. Watchmen;))?

It's a bit of both, actually. it's definitely ambitious, but I didn't find it too hard to follow. It pays off, that's for sure...

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Re: $100 (+/-) for Heroes Con - What should I get?

Postby CountD » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:02 pm

cncoyle wrote:I typically play the martyr and put any birthday money back into our checking account to be absorbed towards paying bills. This time, however, my wife is insisting that I spend birthday money on myself. While I'm going to use a loophole and get my children some vintage Superman, Batman, JLA, Spidey, Hulk, etc. children's books (esp. Fischer-Price if I can find them), I just might do as I'm told for once.

What do y'all think I should get? Besides my ongoing search for DC Blue Ribbon Digests and that damned Spider-Woman paperback from the early 80's, I'm currently leaning towards something from the following list (depending upon price, natch):
  • Superman: Camelot Falls Volumes 1 & 2
  • Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil
  • Annihilation Conquest (I frickin' loved Annihilation; does the sequel hold up?)
  • Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps (I haven't read any of it. I hate Superboy Prime, and I know he's in it, but how much? Does his presence spoil the whole thing?)
  • Death of Captain America Volumes 1 & 2
  • Thor Volume 1 (I haven't read any of this series, either. Is it pretty much stand-alone stories or tied into Civil War stuff?)
Two purchases from Heroes last year were Gaiman's & JRJr's Eternals and Bendis's Spider-Woman: Origin. I liked how both were pretty much stand-alone.

If you have any other suggestions, even non-mainstream stuff, I'm open to good stand-alone stories.

OH get the Camelot Falls already!!! You've wanted that forever and it's the last thing on your wishlist.

Thor is good and so is 7 Soldiers. You have to get that if only for the Zatanna alone.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:05 pm

CountD wrote:OH get the Camelot Falls already!!! You've wanted that forever and it's the last thing on your wishlist.
:oops:
-

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby The Juan Percenter » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:07 pm

cncoyle wrote:BAH! Keep your floppy offerings AWAY from me!
I want bookshelf-quality stuff or by onemoment's sacred name, I will strike you down! :twisted:

I still don't understand WTF a chapbook is supposed to be :?

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:09 pm

cncoyle wrote::oops:
hahahaw...bustd

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:10 pm

milton73 wrote:I still don't understand WTF a chapbook is supposed to be :?

There was this guy over at the Rama called onemoment who railed against floppies, calling them 'chapbooks.' An actual chapbook is just a booklet or pamphlet that can fit in your pocket.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand