I typically play the martyr and put any birthday money back into our checking account to be absorbed towards paying bills. This time, however, my wife is insisting that I spend birthday money on myself. While I'm going to use a loophole and get my children some vintage Superman, Batman, JLA, Spidey, Hulk, etc. children's books (esp. Fischer-Price if I can find them), I just might do as I'm told for once.
What do y'all think I should get? Besides my ongoing search for DC Blue Ribbon Digests and that damned Spider-Woman paperback from the early 80's, I'm currently leaning towards something from the following list (depending upon price, natch)
- Superman: Camelot Falls Volumes 1 & 2
- Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil
- Annihilation Conquest (I frickin' loved Annihilation; does the sequel hold up?)
- Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps (I haven't read any of it. I hate Superboy Prime, and I know he's in it, but how much? Does his presence spoil the whole thing?)
- Death of Captain America Volumes 1 & 2
- Thor Volume 1 (I haven't read any of this series, either. Is it pretty much stand-alone stories or tied into Civil War stuff?)
Two purchases from Heroes last year were Gaiman's & JRJr's Eternals and Bendis's Spider-Woman: Origin. I liked how both were pretty much stand-alone.
If you have any other suggestions, even non-mainstream stuff, I'm open to good stand-alone stories.