Saturday, August 18, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Manufacturing outrage since 2006."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Action Comics #1000 Likely To Be Delayed Again As It Will Debut Bendis' First DC Work

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Draco x » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:49 am

Just read the issue now and most of the stories were decent. The Bendis fan-fiction at the end however? The best way to describe it is: hot muddy garbage.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:52 am

Amoebas wrote:
I want to start a petition to get rid of the red underwear just to shut Bendis the fuck up.

Ironic that it took DC getting he most divisive writer to get the whiners precious red trunks back.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Glaeken wrote:

Ironic that it took DC getting he most divisive writer to get the whiners precious red trunks back.

DC did not hire Dan Slott.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Glaeken wrote:Ironic that it took DC getting he most divisive writer to get the whiners precious red trunks back.
RobThompson wrote:
DC did not hire Nick Spencer.

Fixed.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 pm

HNutz wrote:
Fixed.

Personally I would rather read Spencer than Slott.

SporkBot

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby SporkBot » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 pm

RobThompson wrote:Personally I would rather read Spencer than Slott.

I don't think I've read Spencer (and from what I've heard of Secret Empire and the whole Hydra-Cap stuff...I'm not in a rush to). But I read Slott's Amazing Spidey when Brand New Day kicked off, and...yeah...no thanks.

Let's just say you're BOTH right...

Also, since when was Bendis writing Supes have anything to do with getting the trunks back?

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 pm

I got the 1930s Steve Rude variant cover. I'm going to comment on the stories that had specific interest to me.

From the City that has Everything – Jurgens
This was an odd one. I like the Superman Appreciation Day stories but I found it out-of-character that he kept wanting to find reasons to not attend. Also, Lois asking J'onn to telepathically distract Kal did not sit right with me.

Never Ending Battle – Tomasi/Gleason
One of my two favorite stories. This was an ambitious undertaking. All those scenes were actually from specific Superman moments. For example that scene where Superman goes underground and is confronted by the short bald aliens is from the 1952 Superman TV series episode "The Unknown People".

The Game – Levitz/Adams
My copy didn't have this either.

The Car – Johns/Donner/Coipel
My other top favorite. Clean art and pure, simple advice from Superman.

Of Tomorrow – King/Mann
Good art and a nice farewell to Superman.

Five Minutes – Simonson/Ordway
My least favorite of all the stories.

The Truth - Bendis/Lee
I understand what Bendis was going for here but I agree that the repetitious dialogue and the odd artistic design of Rogol was distracting. It was a nice touch to add Supergirl to the action. Earlier in this thread (I think) someone made the comment that Lee had a hard time with the 'S' crest. I didn't see that. Overall I think he did a good job with the art.

I feel sorry for the hard-core haters that they can't pull the irrational hate sticks out of their asses long enough to take a look at this issue. Things like this don't come around all that often.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:09 pm

SporkBot wrote:Also, since when was Bendis writing Supes have anything to do with getting the trunks back?

Since this was first announced. :lol:

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm

RobThompson wrote:Personally I would rather read Spencer than Slott.

That's a tough call. I think their highs are about equal. But as much as I hate Slott's ongoing Spidey, and I do hate it, Spencer's low is clearly MUCH WORSE than Slott's. Secret Empire and both the Sam and Steve Cap books that led to it were just an absolute abomination. Some of the worst Marvel books I have ever tried to read.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:22 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:IThings like this don't come around all that often.

Something like this has never come around before. Action is in uncharted territory.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 pm

chap22 wrote:
That's a tough call. I think their highs are about equal. But as much as I hate Slott's ongoing Spidey, and I do hate it, Spencer's low is clearly MUCH WORSE than Slott's. Secret Empire and both the Sam and Steve Cap books that led to it were just an absolute abomination. Some of the worst Marvel books I have ever tried to read.

I did not read Secret Empire, so I cannot really speak to it. Slott's ongoing Spider-Man effort got me to drop the book for the first time in my life, ending around a forty year run of reading the character. I am desperately hoping he does not do the same thing with Fantastic Four.

All that said, while I do not think Bendis has done anything noteworthy with his opening effort with Superman, he has not done anything I find so atrocious I will drop that book.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 pm

zryson wrote:
Join us? God it sounds like a military commercial or leftover from the pod people in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Anyway, have you read the issue yet Hz?

Yeah, I finally read it.

Thought the book started strong but gradually went downhill. I thought "Superman Day" hoopla felt REALLY reminiscent of the Flash museum, but I liked it. Kinda odd seeing Deathstroke in the background.

I also liked Tomasi's story, but I wish it was more than just pin-ups. But they looked great.

The Johns/Donner story where he told the guy to fix his life or junk it... It really worked, IMO.

Did NOT like the idea of Superman (and, apparently, Lois) living for 4 billion years.

The "Speeding Bullet" one was alright.

And the Bendis one was... useful. It tells me that I'll be happier off avoiding his upcoming work. It was the weakest of all the stories, IMO.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:47 pm

RobThompson wrote:Something like this has never come around before. Action is in uncharted territory.

Nope. 2000AD is already past #2000.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:39 am

uz000 wrote:
Nope. 2000AD is already past #2000.

But it has not been continuously running for 80 years. It is not the number so much as the duration.

Plus, I do not know if you get 2000AD without Action Comics.

oogy

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby oogy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:59 am

I read Action Comics #1000 last night and loved it!

The only stories I didn't care for were of Tomorrow and the Truth.

leave a comment with facebook