Advertisement

Action Comics Annual #2 (Wow. Awesome planet Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Action Comics Annual #2 (Wow. Awesome planet Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:10 am

As you all know (presumptuous, moi?) I don’t read Scott Lobdell’s Superman series, so all of these incursions from him and the plotlines in that book into Action Comics are really starting to tick me off. I have no idea who H’el is, no idea what this ‘Oracle’ is and don’t really have any desire to read the rest of this little ‘Krypton Returns’ crossover.

The story here is a fairly clever one, because of H’el time-travelling around and fucking up Krypton’s history, he’s caused a ‘Temporal Tornado’ (not a Time-Quake, that’s Age Of Ultron) and the Universe could end. He’s also brought Krypton back from the dead, but it’s a dark, evil Krypton that he rules. This giant stone Watcher rip-off called The Oracle calls Superman, Supergirl and Superboy to this Krypton to try and save it. There’s some bickering between the 3 Super-family members, Superboy is possessed by the Oracle to give an exposition dump, and then Faora shows up to send each Super-person through a time portal with a task they need to do to save Krypton. After sending them to the past, Faora is killed by H’el, who swears he won’t be defeated, and then, on to the individual issues which I won’t be reading.

The basic plot idea of having Superman, Supergirl and Superboy travel back in time and visit Krypton is a good one, and the tease of Superman meeting his mother was quite well-done, but this whole thing is surrounded with so much Lobdell stuff I have no interest in. As I said, I don’t know who H’el is, nor do I care to find out. This should have been a Superman Annual, so I wouldn’t feel tricked by it and could have avoided it. I know I sound like a whining idiot because I keep buying these Lobdell issues when I could just not, but I am excited for Pak and Kuder’s run, and there is some small bit of completism that remains in me, I am ashamed by it, but it’s there.

I will say that Kenneth Rocafort’s artwork in the first two thirds of this book was excellent, he’s a really good artist, and I liked how he drew Faora to look like Antje Traue, who played her in Man Of Steel. It’s just a shame that he didn’t draw the whole issue, Dan Jurgens is a solid artist and a Superman legend, but his style is not compatible with Rocafort’s really. So, if you’re reading Lobdell’s nonsense, pick this up I suppose, but if you’re just reading Action like I am… this shit makes no sense.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand