Advertisement

Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 10769
Likes: 419 posts
Liked in: 293 posts
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Punchy wrote: This issue is supposed to be defining the new Superman, but it barely scratched the surface.

No one said that this was going to be an entire origin story. We know that he's 6 years younger, we see where he lives, we met his land-lady, we know that he works for a competing newspaper (not the Planet), we already have an idea of his strength and vulnerability levels, we see a possible hint to the Legion, and a fore-shadowing of something headed towards Earth from outer space.

this issue had too much Action and not enough Superman.

He was on every page except for 3 pages where he's Clark, and 2 pages with Luthor and Major Lane :lol:

Amoebas wrote:Doesn't make sense to me either, the runaway train stuff just came out of nowhere.


The scene did, yes, but that's part of what Clark was talking about on the phone to Mr. Taylor and to Jimmy.
Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

Lord Ice
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2698
Likes: 27 posts
Liked in: 90 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:45 pm


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Amoebas wrote:First thought in my head - and I don't think I like Morrison mucking about with them.


Better him than Mark Waid. Would hate to go through that again.
Image

3MJ
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 61 posts


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby 3MJ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:59 pm

iVcNub4 or whatever, why do you feel you have to defend DC in every thread?

jeremy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13225
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:41 pm
Location: SoCal
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby jeremy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:03 pm

The issue wasn't put together as tightly as I would expect a relaunch flagship title to be.

But as a 'new reader' this whole relaunch is confusing to me.

IvCNuB4
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 10769
Likes: 419 posts
Liked in: 293 posts
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Always Stay Safe wrote:iVcNub4 or whatever, why do you feel you have to defend DC in every thread?


Why do you feel that you have to call me out for it ? Do you go off on Herald or AvengingTitan every fuckin' time they start one of their "the DCnU sucks" rants :lol:

I was pointing out what I got out of the issue compared to what Punchy said wasn't there. But it's cute how you jump to the defense of your long-distance cyber-love :smt007 :smt007
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

3MJ
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 61 posts


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby 3MJ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:19 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Why do you feel that you have to call me out for it ? Do you go off on Herald or AvengingTitan every fuckin' time they start one of their "the DCnU sucks" rants :lol:

I was pointing out what I got out of the issue compared to what Punchy said wasn't there. But it's cute how you jump to the defense of your long-distance cyber-love :smt007 :smt007


Yes. Herald really fucking annoys me.

You constantly defend DC, I've noticed it a few times, that if I insult DC in a DC thread, you'll respond by insulting Marvel.

It's very weird.

IvCNuB4
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 10769
Likes: 419 posts
Liked in: 293 posts
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:29 pm

So are Punchy's relentless "I can't undertand why anyone likes fucking Batgirl" posts :lol: See if you can have a word with him about that, please.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34401
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 52 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:42 pm

FUCK BATGIRL.

oogy
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7997
Likes: 324 posts
Liked in: 95 posts
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 6:39 pm
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby oogy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:37 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:So are Punchy's relentless "I can't undertand why anyone likes fucking Batgirl" posts :lol: See if you can have a word with him about that, please.


Punchy wrote:FUCK BATGIRL.


I see what you mean. :lol:
Image

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Zero
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9224
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 59 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The Frozen North
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I liked Batgirl Ok, but Action Comics was great!

Herald
User avatar
biny little tird
 
Posts: 12674
Likes: 149 posts
Liked in: 270 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Herald » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Always Stay Safe wrote:
Yes. Herald really fucking annoys me.


Oh, you're just Tsundere for me. Admit your feelings. :P

A big clue is that I have yet to see this "going off" on me that you claim to do. :P

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66566
Likes: 787 posts
Liked in: 577 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:13 pm

I read it.

Seems like the Action Comics #1 1938 persona. More of a social activist sort of Superman.
I like how they're showing how he's learning more about his powers and their limits. Beyond that, not that interesting for me, but a time killer until they show him getting the costume with the ugly none Superman style boots.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

IvCNuB4
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 10769
Likes: 419 posts
Liked in: 293 posts
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:57 pm

Sakie wrote:Did anybody else think of Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, and Saturn Girl when Clark's landlord told him about his friends stopping by? She described them as two men and a very nice, good-looking blonde woman.


I found a couple more hints/homages/Easter Eggs/whatever:

Page 4-5 splash: read what Glenmorgan says, then sing the "Smallville" theme in your head :lol:

Page 10/panel 1: background building sign: "Rags and Son"

Page 19: his weird landlady, Mrs. Nyxly. I keep thinking her name should mean something. There was a Ferlin Nyxly, a museum curator,. who had discovered the Devil's Harp( Superman #235)

Page 22: Jimmy's cell phone has a "zee zee zee" ring-tone. Same as his Superman Signal Watch in pre-DCnU issues.

Page 26: the mysterious Hooded Lady cameo.

Anyone spot anything else ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:00 pm

"Somebody! Save me!" homage to the Smallville theme song.

"It ain't Superman!" was probably a bit of subtle snark to every half-wit complaint about this not being the "real" Superman.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21417
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 162 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby chap22 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Cripes, I hope not. Stupid Legion. :smt013

this.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 74 guests

Advertisement