Thursday, July 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "That smell was here before we went in."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:09 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
I found a couple more hints/homages/Easter Eggs/whatever:

Page 4-5 splash: read what Glenmorgan says, then sing the "Smallville" theme in your head :lol:

Page 10/panel 1: background building sign: "Rags and Son"

Page 19: his weird landlady, Mrs. Nyxly. I keep thinking her name should mean something. There was a Ferlin Nyxly, a museum curator,. who had discovered the Devil's Harp( Superman #235)

Page 22: Jimmy's cell phone has a "zee zee zee" ring-tone. Same as his Superman Signal Watch in pre-DCnU issues.

Page 26: the mysterious Hooded Lady cameo.

Anyone spot anything else ?

Mrs Nyxly is really close to the name of a 5th dimensional imp, IMMO.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:12 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:
Mrs Nyxly is really close to the name of a 5th dimensional imp, IMMO.

my thoughts as well.

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:14 pm

chap22 wrote:my thoughts as well.

I didn't read the issue, but reading that name that was the very first thing that I thought of.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Amoebas wrote:Doesn't make sense to me either, the runaway train stuff just came out of nowhere.

Just like his Batman run is referencing all those early Batman comics, his Action Comics #1 can be seen as a story built around a series of homages to classic Superman/Action covers.

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm

The train part didn't exactly come out of nowhere. We knew Lex had a plan and that Glenmorgan's "confession" was a part of it. It just so happens that the shitty workmanship pertained to Metropolis' train system. All trains should've been shut down, but Clark KNEW from his phone conversation with Jimmy that one train was still running. Glenmorgan's henchman was responsible for making sure the train would fail, drawing in Superman one way or another.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Why Superman can get ear bleeds and be squished by a train, let alone beat up by wrecking ball.... :smt102

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Cripes, I hope not. Stupid Legion. :smt013

chap22 wrote:this.

Both of you can bite me, you haters.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:43 pm

What did we all think of the Red Bull-sipping Lex Luthor?

The Juan Percenter

Rain Partier

Postby The Juan Percenter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Punchy wrote:What did we all think of the Red Bull-sipping Lex Luthor?

I think he was sipping quite effeminately

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Punchy wrote:What did we all think of the Red Bull-sipping Lex Luthor?

No complaints. He's basically the Lex Luthor who took down Swamp Thing during Moore's run.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:04 pm

False Prophet wrote:
No complaints. He's basically the Lex Luthor who took down Swamp Thing during Moore's run.

Right before he woke up in space and got raped.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Basil Smotherman Jr. wrote:
I think he was sipping quite effeminately

Maybe Lex needs to take some butch-lessons from that manly avatar of yours :lol:

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Mike Mercury wrote:
Right before he woke up in space and got raped.

In space, no one can hear you scream, "My ass!"

The Juan Percenter

Rain Partier

Postby The Juan Percenter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:50 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Maybe Lex needs to take some butch-lessons from that manly avatar of yours :lol:

I think that guy is looking to pay some male hookers by check based on that cover :lol: :lol:

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:Why Superman can get ear bleeds and be squished by a train, let alone beat up by wrecking ball.... :smt102

Same reason he can't fly. Notice the book never shows him actively hovering? He's still "leaping tall buildings in a single bound".

What Morrison is doing, I think, is taking Superman's early change in powers (he was originally much weaker than the Superman we know, and didn't fly any more than the Hulk does), which was never addressed cause you didn't address shit like that in 1940, and making it a part of Superman's backstory. He'll get stronger, and we'll be given a reason.

I am not upset by that. I am more taken aback that Ultimate Peter Parker didn't die, he just moved to Metropolis and got promoted to Kryptonian...

leave a comment with facebook