Advertisement

Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Herald
User avatar
biny little tird
 
Posts: 12560
Likes: 113 posts
Liked in: 206 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!


Online


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Herald » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 pm

False Prophet wrote:"It ain't Superman!" was probably a bit of subtle snark to every half-wit complaint about this not being the "real" Superman.


Strawman Has A Point

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66112
Likes: 571 posts
Liked in: 388 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Same reason he can't fly. Notice the book never shows him actively hovering? He's still "leaping tall buildings in a single bound".

What Morrison is doing, I think, is taking Superman's early change in powers (he was originally much weaker than the Superman we know, and didn't fly any more than the Hulk does), which was never addressed cause you didn't address shit like that in 1940, and making it a part of Superman's backstory. He'll get stronger, and we'll be given a reason.

I am not upset by that. I am more taken aback that Ultimate Peter Parker didn't die, he just moved to Metropolis and got promoted to Kryptonian...


I saw that, as in he's still learning about himself. In the story they said he kept getting stronger and faster. But why his invulnerability seems low is a bit of a bother considering that strength and speed are demonstrated by choice where resiliency of skin and flesh is automatic, not a choice. It makes little sense to me.

That's a good call too. Ptr-Prkr.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66112
Likes: 571 posts
Liked in: 388 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Punchy wrote:What did we all think of the Red Bull-sipping Lex Luthor?


Smallville'd.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Lord Simian
User avatar
The Lord of the Monkeys
 
Posts: 34800
Likes: 112 posts
Liked in: 198 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 am
Location: Poosting from The Outhouse


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
I saw that, as in he's still learning about himself. In the story they said he kept getting stronger and faster. But why his invulnerability seems low is a bit of a bother considering that strength and speed are demonstrated by choice where resiliency of skin and flesh is automatic, not a choice. It makes little sense to me.

That's a good call too. Ptr-Prkr.


That's silly though. You can choose to just suddenly be able to lift 5 tons, where yesterday you could lift 2? No. As his powers evolve and get stronger, they should progress at the same rate, I should think. :smt102

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66112
Likes: 571 posts
Liked in: 388 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
That's silly though. You can choose to just suddenly be able to lift 5 tons, where yesterday you could lift 2? No. As his powers evolve and get stronger, they should progress at the same rate, I should think. :smt102


Over all? That makes little sense unless his powers are entirely based on his belief in himself. That's Smallville thinking. :smt011

I can see as with anyone, he pushes himself more and more and thus becomes more powerful and learns of other powers, but his invulnerability is no different then resisting being cut on something sharp. That's something we've no control over.

They did have that dialog about leaping a certain building... seems to imply that he needs to try to do it first to realize he can.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10393
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 175 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Over all? That makes little sense unless his powers are entirely based on his belief in himself. That's Smallville thinking. :smt011

I can see as with anyone, he pushes himself more and more and thus becomes more powerful and learns of other powers, but his invulnerability is no different then resisting being cut on something sharp. That's something we've no control over.

They did have that dialog about leaping a certain building... seems to imply that he needs to try to do it first to realize he can.


But even in his power heyday, invulnerability had its limits with Superman. His level of invulnerability gets higher with age and solar absorption. Even with the Byrne reboot, he didn't suddenly turn bulletproof. It was a gradual process.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66112
Likes: 571 posts
Liked in: 388 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:10 pm

False Prophet wrote:
But even in his power heyday, invulnerability had its limits with Superman. His level of invulnerability gets higher with age and solar absorption. Even with the Byrne reboot, he didn't suddenly turn bulletproof. It was a gradual process.


Yes, but so did the rest of his powers. I'm just saying that it seems wrong to have his one ability controlled by his belief in himself. The solar bit is interesting but I doubt it would cause such a dramatic increase.
The Byrne had his invulnerability at a stated level. Not many times to get shot at back as a small kid. But there was a suggestion of bracing himself helped.

I hope this is not the reason he later wears armor.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10393
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 175 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Yes, but so did the rest of his powers. I'm just saying that it seems wrong to have his one ability controlled by his belief in himself. The solar bit is interesting but I doubt it would cause such a dramatic increase.
The Byrne had his invulnerability at a stated level. Not many times to get shot at back as a small kid. But there was a suggestion of bracing himself helped.

I hope this is not the reason he later wears armor.


:smt102 But if Kryptonian physiology is pretty identical to human physiology, maybe adrenaline plays a big part as to why he can push himself to be stronger and faster in bursts. From the comic, it didn't seem like he could sustain those levels even if he tried.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66112
Likes: 571 posts
Liked in: 388 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 pm

False Prophet wrote:
:smt102 But if Kryptonian physiology is pretty identical to human physiology, maybe adrenaline plays a big part as to why he can push himself to be stronger and faster in bursts. From the comic, it didn't seem like he could sustain those levels even if he tried.


Okay, but again, are you better able to resist being cut by a knife if prepared then not?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10393
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 175 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Okay, but again, are you better able to resist being cut by a knife if prepared then not?


I...don't know. I'm just saying that maybe it's not that he can conciously control the level of his max speed and strength and not his invulnerability, but maybe his speed and strength are just momentarily boosted by adrenaline, which wouldn't effect his ability to not bleed or get knocked out.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66112
Likes: 571 posts
Liked in: 388 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 pm

False Prophet wrote:
I...don't know. I'm just saying that maybe it's not that he can conciously control the level of his max speed and strength and not his invulnerability, but maybe his speed and strength are just momentarily boosted by adrenaline, which wouldn't effect his ability to not bleed or get knocked out.



Okay, that's fine, but back to my original point, how does that or could that effect his invulnerability? It makes little sense to me. I can see most of his powers become greater as time passes and he exercises them, but the invulnerability as it is, is a strange one. It almost appears to be one part physical and one part force field.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Juan Cena
User avatar
DANG!
 
Posts: 32868
Likes: 63 posts
Liked in: 79 posts
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Nacirema
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:38 pm

It was pretty much okay. Supes as defender of the "little man" went over a little heavy and preachy. But I guess that was the idea.

I would like to know why DC didn't digitize the Army fatigues. Were they too cheap to do it, or just too stupid to know that's what the Army wore now.
Image

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."


http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

avengingtitan
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 19358
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 127 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 am
Location: Hershey, PA


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:46 pm

The Nacireman wrote:It was pretty much okay. Supes as defender of the "little man" went over a little heavy and preachy. But I guess that was the idea.

I would like to know why DC didn't digitize the Army fatigues. Were they too cheap to do it, or just too stupid to know that's what the Army wore now.

Dude dont even get me started on military uniforms in comics or tv. I was reading something a while back and they kept calling this guy Captain. But he had Marine Corps Master Sergeant stripes on his arm, with stars on his collar, and he was supposed to be in the Air Force. It was a good book but that ruined the whole thing for me.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 19965
Likes: 149 posts
Liked in: 240 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:02 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
I found a couple more hints/homages/Easter Eggs/whatever:

Page 4-5 splash: read what Glenmorgan says, then sing the "Smallville" theme in your head :lol:

Page 10/panel 1: background building sign: "Rags and Son"

Page 19: his weird landlady, Mrs. Nyxly. I keep thinking her name should mean something. There was a Ferlin Nyxly, a museum curator,. who had discovered the Devil's Harp( Superman #235)

Page 22: Jimmy's cell phone has a "zee zee zee" ring-tone. Same as his Superman Signal Watch in pre-DCnU issues.

Page 26: the mysterious Hooded Lady cameo.

Anyone spot anything else ?

Glenmorgan lives in the Reeves Building
Clark & Jimmy both watch Stephen Colbert & Jimmy Falon

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 19965
Likes: 149 posts
Liked in: 240 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: Action Comics #1 (Because that ain't Superman Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:11 am

False Prophet wrote:The train part didn't exactly come out of nowhere. We knew Lex had a plan and that Glenmorgan's "confession" was a part of it. It just so happens that the shitty workmanship pertained to Metropolis' train system. All trains should've been shut down, but Clark KNEW from his phone conversation with Jimmy that one train was still running. Glenmorgan's henchman was responsible for making sure the train would fail, drawing in Superman one way or another.

Okay, you got me to go back and instead of just reading the issue, I read 'into' it instead, and you are probably correct - but it takes a lot o assumptions to get there.

That shitty workmanship could have been about anything - there was nothing we saw that tied it to the trains. A single word balloon when Supes had Glenmorgan with the cops there saying something like - "Stop all the trains, they're defective" would have gone a lot further than what was presented (which was - there's a problem with the trains but before I do anything about that I'll play chase with the cops and do some laundry).

Also - We have to believe that when some kid calls into the Track Authority saying the trains are defective, they willingly shut down the entire service (with one single train not getting the message).

That one train, that just happens to have Lois and Jimmy on it, is the one train that Glenmorgan has a plan for, is the one train that Lex is watching, is the one train that Clark just happened to have had a phone call with someone on that one train, is the one train where a single bolt falls out causing it to speed up to 200mph (quick use of your phone's GPS there Jimmy, although dialing 911 would have been a better thing to do) is the one train, that during the stoppage, Jimmy catches a kid in one panel then apparently drops him in another, is the one train where Lex had always planned to capture Superman, is the one train etc etc etc.

So thanks, because I read 'into' it, it fell apart even more. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 202 guests

Advertisement
cron