Advertisement

Action Comics #19 (I am exceptional Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Action Comics #19 (I am exceptional Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 am

A new era of Action Comics begins! Except, no, not really. I’m sure you’ve read about it, but Andy Diggle left the gig as writer of Action Comics before his first issue even came out. We don’t really know why, the best guess is excessive editorial interference, but it doesn’t really matter. Diggle only wrote 2 issues and the rest of his opening story will be finished off by the artist Tony Daniel. It’s another patented DC Comics clusterfuck and it makes it difficult to review this comic. Taken on it’s own merits, this is a very good Superman comic, there’s plenty of action, an intriguing mystery and the dialogue, particularly in the scenes between first Clark and Lois and the Lex Luthor and his psychiatrist was excellent. But reading this knowing that Diggle has already gone just makes you shrug and think… what’s the point? None of this is going to go anywhere, we’ll get an OK 4-part story and then someone else will take over and probably have their story fucked with by editorial.

I liked this comic, but the nature of superhero comics is that they don’t exist in a vacuum, this is just a big old mess. Hopefully Scott Snyder and Jim Lee’s upcoming Superman Unchained will be left alone and will be good, it seems that the only way writers get to do what they want at DC these days is if they are Johns, Morrison or Snyder. Seriously, Morrison was able to tell an insane non-linear 5-dimensional storyline with no meddling, but Diggle gets shot to shit? Come on, have some respect for your writers who aren’t huge names DC. The state of Superman comics these days is just fucking sad, there’s a movie coming out this year! They should be on their A-game! Instead it’s Lobdell and Tony Daniel (who is a great artist, just not a great writer). Help us Snyder, Lee and to a lesser extend Greg Pak, you’re our only hope.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand