Advertisement

Action Comics #5 (Reckon I found me a spaceman Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 6 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: Action Comics #5 (Reckon I found me a spaceman Spoilers)

Postby e_galston » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
From a business point it makes zero sense.

DC spent a lot of time, effort, and money to (re)introduce a version of the Legion that would appeal (so they thought) to long time fans of the team, while putting the other version that was appearing in its own book at the time in the mothballs, seemingly forever.

Logically, DC should be using the neo-classic team in x-overs. Which would promote the team outside the LSH book and hopefully introduce the team to non-Legion fans.

Instead, DC has introduced yet another version of the Legion in Action. Thus creating confusion among readers once again and undermining the success of the current Legion book. And I mean success in the financial sense of the term, as DC is (in theory) a for-profit company.

No one is confused but you... how hard is it to grasp there being two different legions?? DC is known for having a freaking multiverse, so how hard is it to understand that there are different legions...

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:24 pm

e_galston wrote:

No one is confused but you... how hard is it to grasp there being two different legions?? DC is known for having a freaking multiverse, so how hard is it to understand that there are different legions...

I understand it. I just think it's a step backward to introduce yet another Legion after Lo3W pretty much moved all but the neo-classic team off the board.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:26 pm

avengingtitan wrote:Christ Nacireman shut up about the fucking legion. You're making me hate a group I actually like. Jesus Christ no one cares.

Anyway this was an okay book but it makes me hate DC for killing ma and pa. I used to love the issues where Clark would come home and see them after a big fight or just for advice. Without them he's become a hipster douche and theres nothing worse then that. Oh well it was still a good issue.

Killing off Ma and Pa was dumb. This version of Clark has little or no redeeming values in either the past or present.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:08 am

Sheesh - I've had this guy on ignore for ages, solely because of his vapidiness and obstinance against the Legion. And from the responses and quotes I see he's still hasn't lightened up in the slightest.

As for Action #5, this Legion fan isn't that much of a Morrison fan, but there's nothing here (or in issue #1) that has me anywhere near crying foul. In fact the costumes are pretty cool. Very curious who some of those LSV/Superman Revenge Squad/Anti-Superman Army people are.

The dead cow thing was cute but in wanting to draw attention away from himself, it seems to me Kent drew a bigger target.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:32 am

Amoebas wrote:Sheesh - I've had this guy on ignore for ages, solely because of his vapidiness and obstinance against the Legion. And from the responses and quotes I see he's still hasn't lightened up in the slightest.

As for Action #5, this Legion fan isn't that much of a Morrison fan, but there's nothing here (or in issue #1) that has me anywhere near crying foul. In fact the costumes are pretty cool. Very curious who some of those LSV/Superman Revenge Squad/Anti-Superman Army people are.

The dead cow thing was cute but in wanting to draw attention away from himself, it seems to me Kent drew a bigger target.

Let's get something straight: I don't have animosity against the Legion. I have animosity with the direction DC has taken the Legion in the past few years. Big difference. At best, Legion has been in a "one step forward, two steps back" direction for years. At worst, it's been in a total backwards trend away from critical, and commercial success, as it is now.

- Sons of the Desert

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:39 am

Punchy wrote: The other stuff however, the time-travel stuff… that just seemed unnecessary to me and rather confusing, why is Superman showing up in his modern day costume here? This book needs to stick with the jeans and t-shirt look for a while longer, and to have him in his proper duds confuses things. And then there’s the Legion! I would have much preferred this to just be a retelling of the origin, without the time-travel stuff.

Both Justice League and this title started out as "5 years ago". The plan was for both titles to catch up to the present by or before issues #7 so I assumed that's what Morrison is starting to do here. And without Superman now, the Legion wouldn't have been inspired to form in the future so they're connecting the history dots (as it were).
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:59 am

e_galston wrote:as i said in your stupid legion thread nacireman, they have made a point to say that the current legion that is operating in the current Legion book CAN'T access time travel since the Flashpoint event, part of the reason the Legion members in Legion Lost are trapped in the modern era. the current universe that is depicted in the dc books (outside of Legion) are a different universe then the one the legion from legion of superheroes is from. It makes perfect sense for there to be a new legion of superheroes for the New 52.

i obviously don't give a shit about the Legion, but now you've confused even me. b/c didn't the members in Leguion Lost come from the team that's in LoSH? and they're in the same "current DC universe" that these 3 showed up in in Action #5? so how does that make the bolded line above true?

once again: YAY! for slipshod, selective continuity! great job, DC!!! :roll: :smt011 :smt011
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 pm

chap22 wrote:i obviously don't give a shit about the Legion, but now you've confused even me. b/c didn't the members in Leguion Lost come from the team that's in LoSH? and they're in the same "current DC universe" that these 3 showed up in in Action #5? so how does that make the bolded line above true?

once again: YAY! for slipshod, selective continuity! great job, DC!!! :roll: :smt011 :smt011

Exactly. DC just cleaned up Legion continuity with Lo3W, only to have Morrison mess it up again with yet another Legion. It's like mopping your floor, then deliberately pouring chocolate syrup all over it.

- Sons of the Desert

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 pm

chap22 wrote:i obviously don't give a shit about the Legion, but now you've confused even me. b/c didn't the members in Leguion Lost come from the team that's in LoSH? and they're in the same "current DC universe" that these 3 showed up in in Action #5? so how does that make the bolded line above true?

I look forward to Legion Lost interacting with the rest of the heroes soon. My guess is that Legion of Super-Heroes still operates in the DCU with Legion Lost in DCnU (which has thier own Legion).

I could be wrong but once we get more (and or when Pandora reappears) it's no more confusing than any of Marvels alt realities (AoA, Cable, Squadron Sinister/Supreme, etc).

Well, okay maybe that is a little confusing - but this is one of those things where we should just ride with it. There are two Legions again (maybe more). In my opinion that can never be a bad thing (unless it's the Eat-It-Grandpa crappola).

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Amoebas wrote:I could be wrong but once we get more (and or when Pandora reappears) it's no more confusing than any of Marvels alt realities (AoA, Cable, Squadron Sinister/Supreme, etc).

As far as I can see, the Legion is no more confusing than the X-Men's various origins. I just really don't care to get into it because Legion fans are the most annoying ever and why would I want to turn into that...

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 6 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 pm

the characters in Legion Lost were in the time stream when flashpoint happened, so they ended up in DCnU, they even mention that its not the past they are used to, and mention how they can't go back, its part of the reason their time bubble blew up.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:38 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:I just really don't care to get into it because Legion fans are the most annoying ever and why would I want to turn into that...

Please don't judge us based on the few (or in this case at the Outhouse, the one).

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:32 pm

To add to what e_galston said, the Legion Lost team has no future tech with them or working flight rings, and they may well be infected by the virus they came back in time to stop. So they are stuck in the 21st century and can't even risk asking for help from present-day heroes.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:To add to what e_galston said, the Legion Lost team has no future tech with them or working flight rings, and they may well be infected by the virus they came back in time to stop. So they are stuck in the 21st century and can't even risk asking for help from present-day heroes.

Which is a pretty convenient way of avoiding any pesky contradictions in continuity, eh?

- Sons of the Desert

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 7 posts

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand