Advertisement

Action Comics #30 (Whatever Doomsday has become Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Action Comics #30 (Whatever Doomsday has become Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Another strong issue of Action, as Greg Pak not only wraps up the current storyline, but also sets up the new ‘Doomed’ crossover, which looks to be doing something actually new and interesting with the mindless brute.

Pak begins with Doomsday, as we see that he has finally, fully escaped the Phantom Zone and is wandering free in the Arctic. He’s being monitored by Tower Control, the same people behind Ghost Soldier, but as I said, there’s something different about Doomsday. He spots some people, but rather than kill them… he runs away, smashing the ice and diving into the water. This does end up actually killing those people, but still, it’s not like Doomsday to run from anything.

In the main story, Superman is very very pissed off after the events of the last few issues, and he flies right at Tower Control in a rage. He freezes the other Ghost Soldiers who come at him, and ends up face to face with their leader, Harrow. Harrow basically lectures Superman about his flawed method of crime-fighting, and says that his unwillingness to make the hard choices is why she and Ghost Soldier have had to. Pak ties in a lot of stuff from other Superman stories here, such as the killing of Doctor Light in Justice League, which is cool. Too often lately each Superman appearance has felt like a completely different character. However, this does mean that Pak inadvertently spoils the next issue of Superman/Wonder Woman, as we find out that Tower Control will attack Wonder Woman.

Harrow asks Supes to leave, and he refuses, which means that Harrow is forced to reveal her powers, which are the ability to resurrect the dead. A zombie ghost army attacks Superman, but he soon realizes that they aren’t exactly happy to be zombie ghosts, and turns them around on Harrow. She is forced to release them, which leaves her very weakened. I really liked this end sequence, where Superman tells Harrow lets go of his anger towards her and says that he wants to work together. You think it’s going to go that way, but instead, Superman’s mercy here is just proving Harrow’s point, he’s too weak to make the choice and kill her now. I mean, should he really want to work with someone with such heinous abilities? She and Ghost Soldier disappear, vowing that the next time they meet, she won’t make the same mistake as Superman… she’ll kill him. I know a lot of people are bored with stories that make Superman and the reader question his methods, but I think this one is different, as Pak isn’t going to have him ever really compromise them. This isn’t going to get to Man Of Steel territory. Or at least I hope not.

The issue ends with another Doomsday scene, as Tower Control get him back under surveillance, and well, underwater, he’s going through some kind of weird metamorphosis. I’m very intrigued by what the character will look like, as the old version is all kinds of stale. He was created for one purpose, to kill Superman, and without that, he’s nothing. Time for something new.

I’ve very much enjoyed Aaron Kuder’s art on this book, and so it was a bit annoying to have fill-ins, but both Jed Dougherty and Karl Kerschl did excellent jobs at keeping the same style, which meant it wasn’t too big of a problem. Pak’s run has been great so far, I really hope this crossover doesn’t derail it.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Action Comics #30 (Whatever Doomsday has become Spoilers

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Punchy wrote: Pak ties in a lot of stuff from other Superman stories here, such as the killing of Doctor Light in Justice League, which is cool. Too often lately each Superman appearance has felt like a completely different character.

J.M. DeMatteis also tied into the Superman/Dr Light thing in this week's The Phantom Stranger #18
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:51 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

J.M. DeMatteis also tied into the Superman/Dr Light thing in this week's The Phantom Stranger #18

Eh, I'm just going to stay a grumpy old curmudgeon. I just don't recognize this character as Superman and that pretty much holds true for villains and supporting cast. They seem vaguely familiar, but this so-called Superman really isn't. *grumblegrumble*. ;)

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Alaska, what specifically was it about this issue that you didn't like ? Superman's dialogue ? His interaction with the other characters ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:16 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Alaska, what specifically was it about this issue that you didn't like ? Superman's dialogue ? His interaction with the other characters ?

It's not this issue specifically, more of an in general thing. I do realize it's a knee jerk 52 reaction, so fair to call me out. It just seems so scattered as to how Superman and Doomsday are connected (seeing as there seems to be a retrofitting/denial of Death of Superman). No worries...I'm just old.
Edit: Honestly, I just really hate this version of Superman. I won't apologize, could probably justify, but yeah, that's about it.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand