Advertisement

Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1190 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Anyone have an image of the Wolverine scene?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:58 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Anyone have an image of the Wolverine scene?

what are we talking about?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't see how anyone could think this story is "good" unless they decided before hand and reach for anything they can cling to in hopes they were right.

These alt. dimension/timeline storylines are cheap as fuck. ONLY in these alt. worlds does anything happen to the characters. We watch them month after month go through the ringer, fight the villain of the month, etc. and how different are these characters from years ago? Not much. Yet, suddenly, an alternate world they can pretend like permanent shit would happen. Well, unfortunately, the fact that it doesn't happen in the "real" world, pretty much destroys the alt. reality concept. Yea, so-and-so goes through every situation in the world and lives, but falls down stairs, breaks neck --- If they wouldn't do it in the 616, it doesn't hold up for me making up some temporary world to kill, maim and attitude adjust a bunch of serialized characters. Take wolverine for instance - in no way, shape, or form can he be killed in 616, (argue it to your hearts content, and when we see no wolverine in the 616 for the rest of time, I'll say you're right) but here, no problem, just takes ten seconds.

Plus, this should have been like a four issue mini series, because jack shit happened in the first four or five issues. That right there makes the series flawed.

People that don't understand the suspension of disbelief and how it works, or not, in stories should be creating stories or defending them. It's had some neat elements here and there, but overall is a train wreck.
Last edited by jeremy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Anyone have an image of the Wolverine scene?

Last edited by jeremy on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1206 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm

I love alt. dimension stories, else worlds, what it's, etc.

You can make them good, this one is just not good.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:35 pm

xaraan wrote:I don't see how anyone could think this story is "good" unless they decided before hand and reach for anything they can cling to in hopes they were right.

These alt. dimension/timeline storylines are cheap as fuck. ONLY in these alt. worlds does anything happen to the characters. We watch them month after month go through the ringer, fight the villain of the month, etc. and how different are these characters from years ago? Not much. Yet, suddenly, an alternate world they can pretend like permanent shit would happen. Well, unfortunately, the fact that it doesn't happen in the "real" world, pretty much destroys the alt. reality concept. Yea, so-and-so goes through every situation in the world and lives, but falls down stairs, breaks neck --- If they wouldn't do it in the 616, it doesn't hold up for me making up some temporary world to kill, maim and attitude adjust a bunch of serialized characters. Take wolverine for instance - in no way, shape, or form can he be killed in 616, (argue it to your hearts content, and when we see no wolverine in the 616 for the rest of time, I'll say you're right) but here, no problem, just takes ten seconds.

Plus, this should have been like a four issue mini series, because jack shit happened in the first four or five issues. That right there makes the series flawed.

People that don't understand the suspension of disbelief and how it works, or not, in stories should be creating stories or defending them. It's had some neat elements here and there, but overall is a train wreck.

Why is it that "those who like the series have to cling to some hope that they're right?"

That's absolutely ridiculous. It's utterly ridiculous. That statement is so asinine, it's like me saying, "the people who hate this series are so totally invested in saying that they hate it, they won't give any credence to what it's done well."

Is that statement true? It's every bit as true as what you said -- or just as asinine.

Take your pick.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:49 pm

You know what really pisses me off about this stuff?

I can look at the "Top 5 Books" thread and see that what I'm reading is the same stuff that others are finding good. The stuff I'm not reading that I've tried and not liked is the same as the stuff that others don't.

Neither of those statements means that anyone should or shouldn't like AoU.

But it's just fucking asinine to have the same people who are totally fucking fine with the premise and pacing of Bendis' X-Men acting like, lo and behold, he's doing something SO TOTALLY FUCKING DIFFERENT AND RADICAL AND AWESOME with those books that it's unrecognizable that AoU is by the same guy.

You know what? The time travel bullshit in AoU is the same time travel bullshit you're loving in X-Men.

The premise is just the fucking same. You can sit here and pretend that it isn't, but that premise in X-Men is just the fucking same.

"Oh, hey. One of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe is going to risk BREAKING THE SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM SO HE CAN MAKE SCOTT SUMMERS FUCKING FEEL BAD."

Are you people fucking kidding me? Seriously? Are you people fucking kidding me?

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1499 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:51 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I love alt. dimension stories, else worlds, what it's, etc.

You can make them good, this one is just not good.

Exactly. The problem isn't the concept of the story, I think we have established that is a sound concept. The problem is that the concept was poorly executed. We got too much of the story that didn't matter and not enough of the story that did. I will admit that I am not nor have I ever been the biggest fan of Bendis but I can and will admit that he has written some great stories over the years. His current runs on All-New and Uncanny X-Men are perfect examples of Bendis at his best. Unfortunately, Age of Ultron is the opposite end of that spectrum. It is an example of Bendis at his worst.
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Frankie says "Relax", man.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:55 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Frankie says "Relax", man.

Everybody else needs to fucking relax. I read all this crap, too -- I don't need someone trying to blow smoke up my ass and tell me that every aspect of Bendis' X-Men is totally fucking sound because "we all like it" while AoU isn't "because we don't like it."

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:01 pm

So you admit it's crap?

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:06 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:So you admit it's crap?

NO! I'm reading all three! That's my point -- they're the fucking same!

How does anybody say "oh, AoU could've been done in four issues. That makes that series bullshit" when YOU HAVE FIVE FUCKING TIME-DISPLACED X-MEN FROM THE PAST JUST FUCKING HANGING OUT IN THE PRESENT FOR 12 ISSUES AND COUNTING, for a longer period of time than AoU is taking place?

Seriously? What the fuck?

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:11 pm

I think you're taking this a little to seriously. This from a guy that takes stupid things to serious.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:13 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
NO! I'm reading all three! That's my point -- they're the fucking same!

How does anybody say "oh, AoU could've been done in four issues. That makes that series bullshit" when YOU HAVE FIVE FUCKING TIME-DISPLACED X-MEN FROM THE PAST JUST FUCKING HANGING OUT IN THE PRESENT FOR 12 ISSUES AND COUNTING, for a longer period of time than AoU is taking place?

Seriously? What the fuck?

because it's being written better, simple as that. at least IMMO YMMV LOLWUTBBQ GFY DIAF. or whatever it is the cool kids are tweeting these days...
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:18 pm

chap22 wrote:because it's being written better, simple as that. at least IMMO YMMV LOLWUTBBQ GFY DIAF. or whatever it is the cool kids are tweeting these days...

OK. It's being written better. I think it's pretty much the same, but as you said, YMMV.

But is it decompressed? Could the storyline be over now? Is the "dimension/timeline storyline cheap as fuck?"

I'm gonna have to go "yes" with those. So how is it that AoU gets slammed for that, but not Bendis' X-Men? That's ridiculous, man!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand