Advertisement

Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BubbaKanoosh
User avatar
2009 Most Valuable Poster
 
Posts: 35602
Likes: 386 posts
Liked in: 426 posts
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 am
Formerly: BRBKanoosh


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 pm

You're wrong a lot today.

Advertisement

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7974
Likes: 337 posts
Liked in: 601 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:31 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:NO! I'm reading all three! That's my point -- they're the fucking same!

How does anybody say "oh, AoU could've been done in four issues. That makes that series bullshit" when YOU HAVE FIVE FUCKING TIME-DISPLACED X-MEN FROM THE PAST JUST FUCKING HANGING OUT IN THE PRESENT FOR 12 ISSUES AND COUNTING, for a longer period of time than AoU is taking place?

Seriously? What the fuck?


No, they're not exactly the same. One is a mini-series the other is an on-going series.
ImageImageImage

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7974
Likes: 337 posts
Liked in: 601 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:34 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I'm gonna have to go "yes" with those. So how is it that AoU gets slammed for that, but not Bendis' X-Men? That's ridiculous, man!


Because of the execution of the general concept. Bendis's execution of AoU simply isn't as good as his execution of All-New X-Men. It's really as simple as that. It's the same reason why one writer can have a fantastic take on one character but a piss poor take on another. :smt102
ImageImageImage

ElijahSnowFan
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1820
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 57 posts
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 pm
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:35 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:You're wrong a lot today.


Oh, really?

OK, then. Pop quiz:

1. Is, or is not, the premise of All-New X-Men that one of the smartest men in the Marvel Universe ignored the blatant risk of time travel, simply to make one person feel bad?

2. Are the time-displaced X-Men still in the present, even though they've met their older counterparts and despite the fact that some of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe either know, or should know, that there is a blatant risk to the space-time continuum to them being there?

3. Explain, in 25 words or less, how All-New X-Men's premise isn't "cheap as fuck.":

4. Explain, in 25 words or less, how 12 issues and counting of All-New X-Men with those time-displaced X-Men in the present "couldn't be over with by now."

Should I continue? Because I can do this all night.
Image

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

ElijahSnowFan
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1820
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 57 posts
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 pm
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Grayson wrote:
Because of the execution of the general concept. Bendis's execution of AoU simply isn't as good as his execution of All-New X-Men. It's really as simple as that. It's the same reason why one writer can have a fantastic take on one character but a piss poor take on another. :smt102


Well, then. So it's just subjective, then. Which I had already said before. You like one, I think they're both the same. OK, then.
Image

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

BubbaKanoosh
User avatar
2009 Most Valuable Poster
 
Posts: 35602
Likes: 386 posts
Liked in: 426 posts
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 am
Formerly: BRBKanoosh


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Sure continue, I want to see how high you can get to.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21382
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby chap22 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:49 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
OK. It's being written better. I think it's pretty much the same, but as you said, YMMV.

But is it decompressed? Could the storyline be over now? Is the "dimension/timeline storyline cheap as fuck?"

I'm gonna have to go "yes" with those. So how is it that AoU gets slammed for that, but not Bendis' X-Men? That's ridiculous, man!

maybe because the "All-New X-Men" are actually IN All-New X-Men? :P :wink:
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7974
Likes: 337 posts
Liked in: 601 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:52 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:1. Is, or is not, the premise of All-New X-Men that one of the smartest men in the Marvel Universe ignored the blatant risk of time travel, simply to make one person feel bad?


It's a simplified explanation of the story but yes, Hank McCoy brought the original 5 X-Men to the future because he thinks that Scott Summers is going to bring about the mutant genocide. Oh and because Hank McCoy has been an absolute dick to Scott for the past several years. The man actually called him to basically say "I told you so!" before.

2. Are the time-displaced X-Men still in the present, even though they've met their older counterparts and despite the fact that some of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe either know, or should know, that there is a blatant risk to the space-time continuum to them being there?


The time-displaced X-Men are still in the present because aside from Angel they don't want to go back to the past yet. Also, the smartest people in the Marvel Universe just learned that going to the X-Men and asking them to do anything that they don't want to do is a bad idea. See Avengers vs. X-Men.

3. Explain, in 25 words or less, how All-New X-Men's premise isn't "cheap as fuck.":


We don't know when the original X-Men will go back home or if they will go back in the same condition they left.

4. Explain, in 25 words or less, how 12 issues and counting of All-New X-Men with those time-displaced X-Men in the present "couldn't be over with by now."


It's an ongoing series. They could change history and we won't know until the long-term story is over.
Last edited by Grayson on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh
User avatar
2009 Most Valuable Poster
 
Posts: 35602
Likes: 386 posts
Liked in: 426 posts
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:50 am
Formerly: BRBKanoosh


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:56 pm

chap is on fire today.

ElijahSnowFan
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1820
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 57 posts
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 pm
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Grayson wrote:
It's a simplified explanation of the story but yes, Hank McCoy brought the original 5 X-Men to the future because he thinks that Scott Summers is going to bring about the mutant genocide. Oh and because Hank McCoy has been an absolute dick to Scott for the past several years. The man actually called him to tell him to basically tell him "I told you so!" before.



The time-displaced X-Men are still in the present because aside from Angel they don't want to go back to the past yet. Also, the smartest people in the Marvel Universe just learned that going to the X-Men and asking them to do anything that they don't want to do is a bad idea. See Avengers vs. X-Men.



We don't know when the original X-Men will go back home or if they will go back in the same condition they left.



It's an ongoing series. They could change history and we won't know until the long-term story is over.


OK.

5. Explain to me again how Wolverine deciding to go back in time to potentially save the lives of BILLIONS OF PEOPLE is more stupid than Hank McCoy attempting to prevent mutant genocide -- using the same platform, risking the same butterfly effect?

6. Explain to me again how Wolverine going back to the past despite being told not to is horrific writing, but the Original X-Men staying in the present "because the X-Men don't do what they're told" is the greatest thing ever?

7. Explain to me how the risk that was taken in AoU in not knowing what they were going back to is horrific writing but it's the greatest thing ever in All-New X-Men that we...don't know what condition they'll be in when they go back.

8. Seriously. "They could change history and we won't know until the long-term story is over." Seriously? Explain to me how that's different from Age of Ultron. Please, please, please, explain that to me.
Image

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

jeremy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 13223
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:41 pm
Location: SoCal
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby jeremy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:10 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Why is it that "those who like the series have to cling to some hope that they're right?"

That's absolutely ridiculous. It's utterly ridiculous. That statement is so asinine, it's like me saying, "the people who hate this series are so totally invested in saying that they hate it, they won't give any credence to what it's done well."

Is that statement true? It's every bit as true as what you said -- or just as asinine.

Take your pick.



It can't be true, b/c the series isn't good.

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 19943
Likes: 147 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:50 pm

ESJ - you're way wrong on this Age of Ultron crap - but I'll agree that the original X-Men in the future is as bad a premise as the shit in AoU.

Whether or not the X-book is better written, well, I don't have an opinion. Haven't read it because I can't stand X-books.

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15792
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:31 pm

The major difference between Age of Ultron and All New X-men is one is a unreadable mess and the other is a really fun story that's moving the marvel universe with characters being portrayed consistently across an entire line of books.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 75965
Likes: 382 posts
Liked in: 533 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:59 pm

I am on my phone ESF but I would invite you to google Outhouse Uncanny X-Men #6 Review and read my review, in which I specifically contrast Bendis's X-Men and API, if you are actually interested in knowing my opinion of it and not just e-yelling at me. :P

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:04 pm

the-news-stand/review-uncanny-men-t94604.html

Read that, and then carry on e-yelling at Jude.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TimH and 94 guests

Advertisement