Advertisement

Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Re: Age of Ultron #9: Well, well. Nice job, Bendis! (spoiler

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:38 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:See, I couldn't give a fuck if Ultron is really there or not. Or who or what Ultron is/does. In fact this is the first book I've ever read involving Ultron. My only exposure to Ultron is late 80's, early 90's marvel trading cards and animated movies. So I'm not even approaching the quality of this story from a continuity/ultron history story. I'm coming at this as just a plain old shitty story that is poorly paced, drawn, plotted, executed.

Oh, yeah? YEAH? Well...well...fine, then!

8) :-D

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:39 pm

people that are arguing the quality of a story based on that story's title are not normal, reasonable people. That argument is invalid.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 pm

dairydead wrote:people that are arguing the quality of a story based on that story's title are not normal, reasonable people. That argument is invalid.

My argument of it being a shitty story is invalid because I don't give a fuck about Ultron?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Oh and granted Wolverine erased them from existence but did any of the tie ins cover what happened with Fury and his future Ultron fighting team did or is that issue 10?

It's pretty much a given that in issue, was that...7?, before Wolverine erased it all from existence, that they all died in the approach to Ultron City.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
It's pretty much a given that in issue, was that...7?, before Wolverine erased it all from existence, that they all died in the approach to Ultron City.

But you don't see that, it's just them using the time machine then its all Wolverines wacky time travel story.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:42 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
But you don't see that, it's just them using the time machine then its all Wolverines wacky time travel story.

Are you serious? Did you miss the assault sequence when Captain America got his head blown off, etc.?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:42 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:But I am saying that I completely get this series, the choices that were made. I reject any notion that there was no character development.

I guess we'll see. I guess it will all depend upon who, if anyone, remembers what happens during this event. At the end of the day, shouldn't Wolverine be arrested for time travelling and murdering/attempting to kill Hank Pym? If Cyclops is a wanted fugitive for murdering Charles Xavier while possessed by the Phoenix, shouldn't Wolverine face repercussions for what he just did/attempted to do while of his own sound mind and body? Will Susan Richards have to deal with the knowledge of what she allowed/almost allowed to happen? I just don't see any of this continuing past this event, it all feels very self contained and like I said, unimportant.

I think there were some interesting things introduced, including Tony Starkguard's explanation of how they risk fucking up everything that exists when they travel through time and that Earth isn't bigger than everything else that exists.

Will any of this matter in the future? I think it will. Bendis wrote this. He's still got five time-displaced X-Men in the present. I think there will be ramifications, of some sort.

Again, we'll see. You have to remember that at least half of this event was written 2-3 years ago. Will there be ramifications? Probably. Will they feel shoehorned and less natural? More than likely.
ImageImageImage

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Are you serious? Did you miss the assault sequence when Captain America got his head blown off, etc.?

Yes. but I won't miss the point where Cap is alive and well in the "real" timeline.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Grayson wrote:
I guess we'll see. I guess it will all depend upon who, if anyone, remembers what happens during this event. At the end of the day, shouldn't Wolverine be arrested for time travelling and murdering/attempting to kill Hank Pym? If Cyclops is a wanted fugitive for murdering Charles Xavier while possessed by the Phoenix, shouldn't Wolverine face repercussions for what he just did/attempted to do while of his own sound mind and body? Will Susan Richards have to deal with the knowledge of what she allowed/almost allowed to happen? I just don't see any of this continuing past this event, it all feels very self contained and like I said, unimportant.

Again, we'll see. You have to remember that at least half of this event was written 2-3 years ago. Will there be ramifications? Probably. Will they feel shoehorned and less natural? More than likely.

Hell, I think having the five time-displaced X-Men in the present is totally shoehorned and unnatural.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:52 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:

That happened in a proper issue of Age of Ultron? I will have to check when I get home.

- Les Paul

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Hell, I think having the five time-displaced X-Men in the present is totally shoehorned and unnatural.

I thought it was an odd but intriuging premise which has become basically the opposite of this event. Having the original X-Men in the present has been such a great story and feels so natural that it is hard to believe it comes from the same writer as AoU.
ImageImageImage

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:57 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
That happened in a proper issue of Age of Ultron? I will have to check when I get home.

Yeah, check issue...6 or 7, whichever one Wolverine drills Hank Pym. That was going on simultaneously with the assault on Ultron City. It was pretty much a given that they didn't even make it there -- as I said, Steve Rogers wound up headless.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:58 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
My argument of it being a shitty story is invalid because I don't give a fuck about Ultron?

I don't think so. I think its pretty valid
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:59 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Yeah, check issue...6 or 7, whichever one Wolverine drills Hank Pym. That was going on simultaneously with the assault on Ultron City. It was pretty much a given that they didn't even make it there -- as I said, Steve Rogers wound up headless.

WOW! I just flipped through 6 and it's amazing I swear when I read it the first time all the Ultron future stuff just wasn't there.

- Les Paul

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:04 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
WOW! I just flipped through 6 and it's amazing I swear when I read it the first time all the Ultron future stuff just wasn't there.

HA! Your Bendis Rage kept you from seeing Steve Rogers get smoked! :-D :-D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand