Thursday, May 26, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "At least we're not ComicsAlliance!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Age of Ultron #8: Yep, I still like it (Spoilers)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Thu May 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Amoebas wrote:
Reed Richards - built Clor who killed Black Goliath = dick
Ben Grimm - moved to France rather than take a stand for what he believed in = dick
Wonder Man - went on a tirade and attacked his best friends because - uhm? - was there ever really a good reason? = dick
Sub-Mariner - just because he's always been a dick = dick
Black Widow - as an Avenger, she just murdered 5 people in cold blood (just last week) = dick
Thor - punches kids = dick

It's like the only Marvel character ever shown to regret their bad decisions was Hank Pym - and he's dead now.


Black Widow has always been a dick I guess.

Hab

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu May 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Event comics are pretty much the only thing worth reading from Marvel and DC. If they're thinking of some interesting changes and then shoehorn the characters to fit, I'd rather read that than the exact same stories with no chance of changes.
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 pm

Exactly when was the last time the Marvel superheroes have been saints?

Wolverine's been killing people and aliens and things since the 80s, and everybody knows it. And everybody who's asked him to kill something or needed him to kill something has been just fine with it. It's been a long, long time since Young Kitty Pryde was scared of Big, Bad Wolverine.

Tony Stark's been a dick since "Demon in a Bottle."

Luke Cage and Iron Fist weren't running "Heroes for Charity."

Peter Parker's "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" came a day late and a dollar short if you were Ben Parker.

Nice job, Reed Richards, Super-Genius, taking your girlfriend, her brother and your best friend up in space and getting them all mutated. Maybe you shouldn't have rounded up on those calculations.

Way to go, Charles Xavier, creating your Child Soldiers -- what was Bobby Drake, 13 years old, when he was running around fighting Magneto and the Blob? Good work there, Charles! Send those teens into the Danger Room -- that'll toughen them up! If you can dodge a ball, you can dodge a wrench!

Hey, Avengers! How about letting Immortus impregnate Carol Danvers one more time? Hey, Carol Danvers! How about you lay off the booze?

Hey, Clint Barton! Maybe you could try not sleeping with every superhero chick you run into!
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:35 pm

habitual wrote:Maybe we'll get ninjas.

Bendis loves ninjas.

Hab

In issue 10 -- Ultroninjas!!!
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Hey, Cyclops! Jean Grey's back! Don't you worry about the fact that Madelyne Pryor's your wife and you got a kid!

Hey, Wolverine! Jean Grey's taken, bub! Maybe you should stop drooling over the married chick! You deserved that optic blast to the face!

Hey, Daredevil! Nice work with Heather Glenn, when she reached out to you after you broke up! Your final dick move only resulted in her committing suicide!

Hey, Janet Van Dyne! Maybe you should stop being such a damn whore and leading Hank Pym on, then nagging him all the damn time once you're married -- you can get a backhand to the face for that!

Hey, Johnny Storm! Nice work there with Alicia Masters! Any other mutated superheroes' girlfriends you wanna steal?
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu May 16, 2013 5:46 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Hey, Johnny Storm! Nice work there with Alicia Masters! Any other mutated superheroes' girlfriends you wanna steal?


Technically speaking, he didn't steal Alicia Masters from anybody. He stole a skrull posing as Alicia Masters. :smt102
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu May 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Grayson wrote:
Technically speaking, he didn't steal Alicia Masters from anybody. He stole a skrull posing as Alicia Masters. :smt102


I know that, of course, but that little retcon isn't fooling anybody -- the young, blonde fireball stole the blind chick from the walking pile of rocks! That was a Grade-A Dick Move!
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Jubilee wrote:Event comics are pretty much the only thing worth reading from Marvel and DC. If they're thinking of some interesting changes and then shoehorn the characters to fit, I'd rather read that than the exact same stories with no chance of changes.


Which is exactly why this is a terrible event.

Hab
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu May 16, 2013 6:45 pm

hab you're arguments are borderline herald-like.

the story is mediocre i agree but it's hardly the worst thing ever written like people are trying to make it sound.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm

So ESF, your reaction to people describing why they dislike it, which you asked for, is to mock their opinions as ridiculous in the same way you were complaining people who don't like the book mock the people who do? Interesting. :P
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu May 16, 2013 6:53 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:So ESF, your reaction to people describing why they dislike it, which you asked for, is to mock their opinions as ridiculous in the same way you were complaining people who don't like the book mock the people who do? Interesting. :P


jude, get rid of the VP badge.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 16, 2013 6:56 pm

All I know is, despite their flaws, I liked and rooted for Marvel's heroes back in the day. More and more often, I'm finding I don't identify with them or want them to win. I didn't want Wolverine to kill Hank Pym. I didn't want The Avengers to force Cyclops to become possessed by the Phoenix force and then declare him a villain. But the thing is, unlike in the past, where heroes had flaws and it made them human, the "flaws" now are viewed as heroic acts. I'm not rooting for Wolverine to succeed in going back in time to kill Hank Pym because it's fucking stupid. Wolverine is a menace, he acts unilaterally with no respect for anyone else, he thinks he knows better than everyone else... Captain America, Iron Man, same way. These guys are dicks. Why would I read a story where the heroes are working toward goals I find repugnant? Not in a "they're flawed and making mistakes" kind of way, but in a "this is the right thing to do kind of way?" No thanks.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 16, 2013 6:57 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
jude, get rid of the VP badge.


Done.

See, ESF? That's how a hero acts.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu May 16, 2013 7:18 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Done.

See, ESF? That's how a hero acts.


Just like Randy Orton 8)
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Thu May 16, 2013 7:47 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:All I know is, despite their flaws, I liked and rooted for Marvel's heroes back in the day. More and more often, I'm finding I don't identify with them or want them to win. I didn't want Wolverine to kill Hank Pym. I didn't want The Avengers to force Cyclops to become possessed by the Phoenix force and then declare him a villain. But the thing is, unlike in the past, where heroes had flaws and it made them human, the "flaws" now are viewed as heroic acts. I'm not rooting for Wolverine to succeed in going back in time to kill Hank Pym because it's fucking stupid. Wolverine is a menace, he acts unilaterally with no respect for anyone else, he thinks he knows better than everyone else... Captain America, Iron Man, same way. These guys are dicks. Why would I read a story where the heroes are working toward goals I find repugnant? Not in a "they're flawed and making mistakes" kind of way, but in a "this is the right thing to do kind of way?" No thanks.

This is part of the reason why I buy so very few Marvel books today.

These characters just aren't the characters I grew up with and now they aren't characters I want to grow old with.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Belle-Tain Summer, crawley and 120 guests