Wednesday, December 7, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Shit happens here."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Ales Kot Permanently Off Suicide Squad

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm

holtom2000 wrote:I don't read any NEW DC books... or does Tiny Titans in trade for my kid count?


Check out Lil Gotham if you liked Tiny Titans. Their "online first" stuff (Batman '66, Adventures of Superman, Legends of the Dark Knight) has been pretty great all around.
User avatar

xaraan

Staff Writer

Postby xaraan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:22 pm

oooo, I'm part of the inner circle now :smt026

No, I was actually talking more about your entire attitude overall, not just this specific post or article.

And if you really have to quote an obvious joke as if it were some fact to back you up, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess a lot of folks just don't get some jokes, that's all.

As for the comment in the article, I think it should have been clarified but left in, but that's just me. But I would agree with you that all DC fans shouldn't be referred to as such.

As for an inner circle, I'm sure I would have been told to keep my nose out of this if I had asked anyone. I keep seeing you get butthurt over stuff that you really shouldn't take so personally, and I know you know the site, so I guess I felt like saying, chill out. You don't want to, more power to you I guess.
User avatar

oogy

Zombie Guard

Postby oogy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm going to again agree with IVCNUB4 100%

I don't care that the company gets a ton of shit. Some of it is rightfully so. But don't call the fans "morons" for liking the books.

jeremy wrote:Unfortunately, it's the group of blind supporters that keep idiots screwing things up at DC. People think they are 'supporting' a product they love, when all they are actually doing in encouraging it to be screwed with by way of supporting it no matter what's done with the product. Granted, maybe you think all the decisions that have been posted on the whole "hasdc..." thing are genius moves, but most don't.


I take issue with the above quote. Is it so hard to believe that people are enjoying the titles? I know there are completists who will buy anything for their collection, but IMO most people buying these books do so because they like what is going on in the book. I genuinely enjoy all of the DC books that I currently get, which is about 20-25 titles a month. If I don't like a book, I drop it and try something else, usually from DC.

IVCNUB4 pm'd me saying that he's been told by several posters that they hesitate posting about the comics they like for fear of being dogpiled on. I know that I don't post much in the DC threads for this reason.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Reading over several pages of the recent posts about DC comics, and I mean the ones about actual issues people are reading, I don't see any sign whatsoever of anyone being mean to DC readers or "dogpiling". None at all, even the ones by Punchy.

So I think that's a red herring.

DC is getting a lot of criticism in the industry-related threads, but if that truly hurts someone's feelings they maybe should avoid the obvious ones critical of or even outright mocking the decisions DC corporate make.

Otherwise, the moron thing got changed because of complaints so that specific point was made. Celebrate the little things in life after you've complained bitterly about them and won.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:08 pm

DC loses yet another author, gee, now that's unexpected.
User avatar

oogy

Zombie Guard

Postby oogy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Reading over several pages of the recent posts about DC comics, and I mean the ones about actual issues people are reading, I don't see any sign whatsoever of anyone being mean to DC readers or "dogpiling". None at all, even the ones by Punchy.

So I think that's a red herring.

DC is getting a lot of criticism in the industry-related threads, but if that truly hurts someone's feelings they maybe should avoid the obvious ones critical of or even outright mocking the decisions DC corporate make.

I paraphrased his PM, and "dogpiling" may have been the wrong choice of words. It's been a long day, I'm tired and cranky.

The exact words were "A lot of the DC readers here have said in the past that they are hesitant to chime in on some threads because of the potential snarky retaliation."

And again, I have no problem with the shit they get for their missteps.
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:I love how the Inner Circle here keeps side-stepping the issue :lol:

I never said one fucking word about how or why Ales was let go. I objected to DC fans and supporters being equated to "morons". And since that phrase was later edited CLEARLY someone here felt that it was inappropriate.

If folks want to spend their money on DC products that's their business. If you guys want to continue your"DC Is Stupid" smear campaign, that's your business.

But it's not cool to insult the DC readers and posters here and sure as fuck didn't help that you suggested that I am/we are 90% in-the-dark.
"One article" ?
"Not a pissing match" ?
Really ? Then please educate those of us who obviously completely misinterpreted the content of the Front Page here including little tid-bits such as, for example, this:

:lol:



Of course this place is more bias toward Marvel. It's always been more bias toward Marvel. The sad thing is even hardcore DC fans who feel burnt out by DC and the New 52 have gone over to Marvel. That circle of actual fans of DC are becoming smaller and smaller with each misstep the company takes.

Even with one foot forward, now the SS might take several steps back. How long before DC Editorial ruins this book or another? It's an issue that's become consistent and clear. The problem with DC isn't the creative teams it's the management. They cull that, and have their editors act like Marvel who do things less public and more civil you'd have better run books.

Add in the fact that DC is now bleeding itself dry in the solo hero department. Marvel has Hawkeye, Deadpool, and Superior Foes. What does DC have to counter? All Star Western is starting to slip. Their Green and Movement books have bombed.

That's not to say Marvel has put out a few clunkers too like Morbius or Journey Into Mystery. The sad thing is if you're going to want to read a book for single characters you're gonna have to go outside the Big Two unless they are a Bat, X, or Avengers related character.
User avatar

ElijahSnowFan

cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm

oogy wrote:
IVCNUB4 pm'd me saying that he's been told by several posters that they hesitate posting about the comics they like for fear of being dogpiled on. I know that I don't post much in the DC threads for this reason.


Don't let haters keep you from posting about stuff you like -- if you read the book and you feel like talking about it, do so.

I still read some DC; don't enjoy as many as I'd like. I read Age of Ultron, liked it, others did not.

That didn't stop me from saying anything I might or might not have to say -- I've read comic books for too long, invested too much money in them, to let someone else tell me what I like just because it's not their Flavor of the Week.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:16 pm

oogy wrote:I paraphrased his PM, and "dogpiling" may have been the wrong choice of words. It's been a long day, I'm tired and cranky.

The exact words were "A lot of the DC readers here have said in the past that they are hesitant to chime in on some threads because of the potential snarky retaliation."


Like I said, if those PMers meant the DC industry threads, there would probably be ample ammunition provided by DC for snark attacks, but why take that personally on behalf of a corporation that doesn't care about you?

But if they meant actual threads about the current comics being read, I think it's either irrational or disingenuous because I don't see it happening in them recently at all (I say "recently" because there are only so many pages of DC threads I'm going to skim through).

I don't have any dog in this fight. :smt102
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:19 pm

oogy wrote:I paraphrased his PM, and "dogpiling" may have been the wrong choice of words. It's been a long day, I'm tired and cranky.

The exact words were "A lot of the DC readers here have said in the past that they are hesitant to chime in on some threads because of the potential snarky retaliation."

And again, I have no problem with the shit they get for their missteps.



If someone posted a.. ugh.. Batgirl v. 4 issue I wouldn't jump on them. UNLESS they decided to call me out. But there must be DC fans who are quiet in their love. They went a month and a half winning moment of the week. Of course Marvel is now back in charge but still that's pretty good record for DC.

MikeinLA

Post Whore

Postby MikeinLA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Zechs wrote:

Of course this place is more bias toward Marvel. It's always been more bias toward Marvel. The sad thing is even hardcore DC fans who feel burnt out by DC and the New 52 have gone over to Marvel. That circle of actual fans of DC are becoming smaller and smaller with each misstep the company takes.

Even with one foot forward, now the SS might take several steps back. How long before DC Editorial ruins this book or another? It's an issue that's become consistent and clear. The problem with DC isn't the creative teams it's the management. They cull that, and have their editors act like Marvel who do things less public and more civil you'd have better run books.

Add in the fact that DC is now bleeding itself dry in the solo hero department. Marvel has Hawkeye, Deadpool, and Superior Foes. What does DC have to counter? All Star Western is starting to slip. Their Green and Movement books have bombed.

That's not to say Marvel has put out a few clunkers too like Morbius or Journey Into Mystery. The sad thing is if you're going to want to read a book for single characters you're gonna have to go outside the Big Two unless they are a Bat, X, or Avengers related character.



Animal Man
Aquaman
Wonder Woman

(Superior Foes is a solo hero book?)
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GiveWarAChance » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:30 pm

I just started picking back up Suicide Squad and I'm going to continue to read it. I'm actually going to give the comic a chance to see if it's any good. I've been thinking about adding a few more DC comics to my pull list too. For a mostly new DC reader like me, the New 52 has been a good jumping on point for several titles.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:34 pm

For the record, the joke was calling people who defend DC's corporate decisions no matter how obviously Dilbertesque and self-destructive they are morons, not people who read DC books. Damn, guys. :lol:
User avatar

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:34 pm

oogy wrote:The exact words were "A lot of the DC readers here have said in the past that they are hesitant to chime in on some threads because of the potential snarky retaliation."


Put Herald on ignore. Problem solved.
User avatar

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 pm

MikeinLA wrote:

Animal Man
Aquaman
Wonder Woman

(Superior Foes is a solo hero book?)



Hero book is not a fair term to also call it that. :P

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amoebas, FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 47 guests