Advertisement

All-New Marvel Now! Point One #1 (Gram Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

All-New Marvel Now! Point One #1 (Gram Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 pm

With All-New Marvel Now really getting going this week, this is another one of those anthology ‘point one’ books they’ve done in the past, and as such it’s basically a collection of preview stories for upcoming new series. So if you’re looking forward to the likes of Silver Surfer, All-New Invaders or Ms. Marvel, this is your first taste, and if you’re undecided about whether or not to try a title, this one-shot should help you make up your mind.

For my sins, I was already planning on buying every title previewed here, so this was more of starter dish, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Loosely tied together by a framing story involving Loki gathering a bunch of keys, this issue features short teaser stories for the following titles: Black Widow, Silver Surfer, Ms. Marvel, All-New Invaders and Avengers World.

I enjoyed each of these stories to some extent, particularly Black Widow, for another dose of sweet, sweet Phil Noto art, and also Silver Surfer, which was very fun indeed. I think Slott and Allred are going to completely redefine the Surfer. Ms. Marvel was pretty basic teen hero stuff, with clichés like the parents not approving etc, but the art from Adrian Alphona was amazing, I have missed his work. The Avengers World one was fun, I liked seeing the return of Sunspot and Cannonball’s inside-man at AIM and whilst I found it weird to have Rags Morales at Marvel, his art is always good.

The Invaders story was perhaps the most intriguing, as James Robinson doesn’t use the actual Invaders at all, and instead sets up the series’ villain, a vicious Kree warrior. I don’t really get why they used the Loki story as a framing device, but these were all fun pages, Al Ewing writes this ‘Teen Loki’ a lot better than Gillen did in Young Avengers, and I loved seeing the Braddock Academy again.

As I said, I was already planning on picking up each of these books, and thankfully, none of these stories made me change my mind. Let’s hope the actual comics live up to these short teasers.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand