Advertisement

All-Star Western # 6 - Hex and Gotham (Spoliers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

All-Star Western # 6 - Hex and Gotham (Spoliers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Six issues into All-Star Western and I have some thoughts on this series.

First off, I am enjoying this series, it's great and one of my favourites each month. I can't say I'm enjoying it as much as Hex's previous self titled series by Palmiotti and Gray. The reason for this is that Hex is inherently a western character -- as the title of this series does suggest. I don't think he works as strongly as a character outside of that genre for anything else other than short doses. Seeing Hex out of his element hanging around Gotham City is fun in the short term, but I enjoy seeing the character in his element a lot more.

Don't get me wrong, like I said, I have been enjoying this series. Seeing Hex run into Wayne Manor and the Waynes (in this case Alan and Catherine) as they existed in the 19th Century was a fun thing to see.

I've actually been enjoying the back-up features a lot more than the main story. This is because they're actual western stories -- something I want out of a series titled All-Star Western. This issue's final to the Barbary Ghost stories was really good. I loved seeing Yammei shoot Bo Long and gain vengeance for her family.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 248 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: All-Star Western # 6 - Hex and Gotham (Spoliers)

Postby Zechs » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 am

Well then be glad they're changing it up and getting out of Gotham in the future.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:18 am

Zechs wrote:Well then be glad they're changing it up and getting out of Gotham in the future.

I am looking forward to Hex's adventures on New Orleans next issue and the guest starring of Nighthawk and Cinnamon. :)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:46 am

This book should be re-titled to ‘Jonah Hex is the toughest mother-fucker in all of human history’, he killed that Giant Bat in like a page! Awesome. And then the raid on the mines, that was a gun-battle for the ages. I liked the twist that the concerned father at the start of this story were the villains, probably because I wasn’t really expecting there to be a twist. I hope everyone noticed that Moody’s house was full of Owls, that’s a definite connection to the Court and what Snyder is doing in Batman. It’s a lot of fun to spot the links between this book and Batman, and stuff like Hex meeting Bruce Wayne’s ancestors may be obvious, but it does work. Despite me loving these little links and hints, it’s cool that the book is heading out of Gotham for a while and we’re going to see New Orleans. Those characters at the end are that era’s Hawkman and Hawkgirl reincarnations right? The Barbary Ghost back-up was good once again, and I liked that even though Bo Long was killed, the story can continue as Barbary Ghost hunts for her mother. I’d certainly be up for a sequel. What’s the next back-up story does anybody know? I want Bat-Lash!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Punchy wrote:What’s the next back-up story does anybody know? I want Bat-Lash!

Nighthawk and Cinnamon, which makes sense since they're guest starring as well.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand