Advertisement

Amazing Spider-Man #562 - Just About Average

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Amazing Spider-Man #562 - Just About Average

Postby Alex Delarge » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 pm

Is Bob Gale an old man? The name sounds old, but I am not familiar with him entirely, but from his writing he sounds like a real relic. There are several things I have learned regarding Bob Gale during his issues of Amazing Spider-Man.

1 His villains are largely lame, though I do like Freak, but The Bookie? Come on. It might be the case that The Bookie is an old villain, but that Gale brings in a new one without any significant update or one that looks to be a couple decades late is in itself kinda lame.

2. Always pair Bob Gale with a new school artist. McKone does a good job here and I would be interested in seeing a Bob Gale Chris Bachelo team.

3. Gale issues take a long ass time to read which is a good or bad thing. In the Daniel Way age of comic story telling it can be a very good thing.

Something I am confused about. Since BND and present in this issue is the fact that Spidey has web pits. How does this reconcile with that scene in Secret Invasion #2? Does Spidey go back to the pits after SI? Who knows. I guess the Skrull reference in the dialogue confirms that it takes place after SI.

Also, this is the first time in a while I have seen anyone smoking in a Marvel comic, though Quesada made sure to put it in the most negative light possible, even to the point of saying the Surgeon General's warning in an editor box. Talk about lame.

The joke at the end of the issue about Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #3 is priceless.

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:44 pm

I enjoyed it. The smocking bit was annoying, though.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:08 pm

I have liked most of BND so far, but thought Gale's previous arc was fucking terrible. Freak is one of the worst concepts I have seen

That being said: This was Gale's best issue yet. I was pleasantly surprised. McKone's art was also a treat. I only wish they would chill on the editorial boxes. There was 7 in this issue including that annoying smoking one.

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:42 pm

They have the Surgeon General's Warning in an editor's box?

That's really lame.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:05 pm

gales writing actually reminds me of stan lee's. just seems way out of place these years.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand