Advertisement

Amazing Spider-Man #700 Thread! [SPOILERS]

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 203 posts

Re: Amazing Spider-Man #700 Thread! [SPOILERS]

Postby Draco x » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Tattooed Jesus wrote:
Agreed. The one thing I can say definitively say about Slott's run that I can't say about many others is that his has never been boring or predictable.

Yup. Slott at his worst can be sloppy and can wreak of the shock and awe approach but never boring or predictaob;e.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:19 pm

draco x wrote:
There are people who actually liked Morlun? From the impression I got he was regarded as lame Morbius ripoff that was easily forgettable.

As for Slott, the way I see it he can be a good writer when he puts his mind to it but there have been some misfires such as the Phil Urich Hobgoblin suckfest( Why Slott thinks that Phil is more interesting as a lame generic loser villain as opposed to being the one goblin character that wasn't crazy or evil originally is beyond me), the Alpha character who nobody likes except his creator or Peter giving his blessings to one of his worst enemies to continue on while he is currently trapped in his body( Which is just bad characterization all together). If Slott can move beyond his sometimes-sloppy writing and the Dan-Didio shock and awe approach then he can do wonders.

Yes. While JR Jr. was on the book, and JMS was doing the whole totem stuff with Morlun and Ezekiel, the book had a lot of acclaim. People forget that, because once Spidey joined the Avengers and the editorial stuff started interfering with his work, everything started going downhill and led to stuff like Sins Past and The Other... but for several years there, JMS was doing quality work.

JMS was the guy who actually moved Pete forward with his life. He was a teacher during this time, which was great.

I have yet to see Slott do wonders on Spider-Man. I've hated literally every major addition he's had on the book, from Horizon Labs, to the 50 different outfits for Spider-Man, to pretty much every storyline thus far. Peter has often been written better outside his own book, by guys like Jason Aaron, Bendis, and others.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 625 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Chris wrote:Peter has often been written better outside his own book, by guys like Jason Aaron, Bendis, and others.

While I am definitely not one of Bendis' biggest fans, I did love Ultimate Spider-Man and I honestly wouldn't mind him taking a crack at a relaunched Amazing Spider-Man title featuring Peter Parker as soon as possible.
ImageImageImage

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:40 pm

I rather liked it. :smt102

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Chris wrote:
Yes. While JR Jr. was on the book, and JMS was doing the whole totem stuff with Morlun and Ezekiel, the book had a lot of acclaim. People forget that, because once Spidey joined the Avengers and the editorial stuff started interfering with his work, everything started going downhill and led to stuff like Sins Past and The Other... but for several years there, JMS was doing quality work.

JMS was the guy who actually moved Pete forward with his life. He was a teacher during this time, which was great.

I have yet to see Slott do wonders on Spider-Man. I've hated literally every major addition he's had on the book, from Horizon Labs, to the 50 different outfits for Spider-Man, to pretty much every storyline thus far. Peter has often been written better outside his own book, by guys like Jason Aaron, Bendis, and others.

Fair enough. Although I don't mind Slott at times my main gripe has been the Hobgoblin debacle which was done quite sloppily in my opinion. For example it's quite debatable as to whether Slott did intend to bring back Kingsley or the revelation that it was really his brother who Phil whacked was just a knee-jerk reaction to the fans who hated the new Hobgoblin( And rightly so I might add).
The one thing I don't buy for example is the notion that Roderick wouldn't have been keeping tabs on his brother when it was clearly obvious that Daniel was a brainwashed decoy for him. I don't buy the fact that Roderick wouldn't have found a way to monitor his movements despite being concerned about tipping off the Kingpin as he could have easily have placed a bug on Daniel or had one of the bat-drones tail him to make sure he didn't break free of his brain-washing or get caught or killed. Plus Slott doesn't even tell us how Roderick found Daniel who was in witness protection all these years. Although I am glad that Slott brought Kingsley back the way the Hobgoblin story arcs were handled was just bad and sloppy as I said. It would have been more convincing if Slott had revealed that Urich was really the decoy for Roderick and was doing his bidding as there are still so many loopholes not addressed.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 pm

draco x wrote:
Fair enough. Although I don't mind Slott at times my main gripe has been the Hobgoblin debacle which was done quite sloppily in my opinion. For example it's quite debatable as to whether Slott did intend to bring back Kingsley or the revelation that it was really his brother who Phil whacked was just a knee-jerk reaction to the fans who hated the new Hobgoblin( And rightly so I might add).
The one thing I don't buy for example is the notion that Roderick wouldn't have been keeping tabs on his brother when it was clearly obvious that Daniel was a brainwashed decoy for him. I don't buy the fact that Roderick wouldn't have found a way to monitor his movements despite being concerned about tipping off the Kingpin as he could have easily have placed a bug on Daniel or had one of the bat-drones tail him to make sure he didn't break free of his brain-washing or get caught or killed. Plus Slott doesn't even tell us how Roderick found Daniel who was in witness protection all these years. Although I am glad that Slott brought Kingsley back the way the Hobgoblin story arcs were handled was just bad and sloppy as I said. It would have been more convincing if Slott had revealed that Urich was really the decoy for Roderick and was doing his bidding as there are still so many loopholes not addressed.

Meh, I think it worked. Kingsley's alive, the Hobgoblin's rep is intact and NuGoblin got the tar smacked out of him by the old school killer. I'm okay with all of that.

And JMS's run, particularly the first year or so, was REALLY good!

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 pm

HNutz wrote:
Meh, I think it worked. Kingsley's alive, the Hobgoblin's rep is intact and NuGoblin got the tar smacked out of him by the old school killer. I'm okay with all of that.

And JMS's run, particularly the first year or so, was REALLY good!

Agreed here. Whether or not Slott really planned to bring back Kingsley doesn't matter at this point as the important thing that he is back and kicking ass-what's even worst is that Noobgoblin is nothing more than his bitch at this point.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 pm

The totem stuff JMS brought in sucked. I did like his Loki and Doom issues though.

I think his single issue stories stood out most for me.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:17 pm

I went in to a comic shop today. Saw this and passed.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 265 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 pm

JMS was a great Spidey writer.

I liked the John Romita Jr issues a lot and the Ron Garney issues a lot as well.

The Deodata issues were mostly meh, to bad though.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Keb wrote:I went in to a comic shop today. Saw this and passed.

smart man. Much better spent elsewhere, money wise.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 pm

The first 1/3 of JMS' run was great but then it started to slip and it just got worse as it went along. By the end, the book was practically unreadable (thanks in large part to Civil War).

The book varied in quality after OMD but then it took some really bizarre directions that i didnt care for when Slott became the sole writer. I'm skipping this Superior Spider-Man era. I hope this is only for a year or so and then we get a new writer to get things on track again.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:03 am

MoneyMelon wrote:The first 1/3 of JMS' run was great but then it started to slip and it just got worse as it went along. By the end, the book was practically unreadable (thanks in large part to Civil War).

The book varied in quality after OMD but then it took some really bizarre directions that i didnt care for when Slott became the sole writer. I'm skipping this Superior Spider-Man era. I hope this is only for a year or so and then we get a new writer to get things on track again.

I strongly urge you to take the money you'd spend on Spiderman and buy Chew or Saga (or both). Unless you're already reading them.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:11 am

I read the first trade of Chew and I didn't care for it. But I read Saga also and I like it.

Image has some great stuff right now....The Activity, Saga, Manhattan Projects, Fatale, etc. But I like my classic characters too like Spidey, Batman, Daredevil, Hulk, etc.

There's no shortage of good comics these days.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:28 am

Newer Image books I'd recommend would be Hoax Hunters and Hell Yeah. 8)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand