Advertisement

Amazing Spider-Man #700 Thread! [SPOILERS]

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Amazing Spider-Man #700 Thread! [SPOILERS]

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:12 pm

It's out (officially)! And if there weren't a snow emergency going on I would probably have lurked around in my LCS all day, because the 10 minutes I was there were hilariously funny. (More on that later)

Post your thoughts here! (Also for Avenging Spider-Man 15.1)

I should probably put another line of text here before the blackout.

Two to be safe.

The rape or not rape debate is already raging elsewhere!

Log-Man, you need a code?

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 497 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: Amazing Spider-Man #700 Thread! [SPOILERS]

Postby Rockman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:21 pm

So does this mean that Peter gets to be all pissy to MJ when he eventually gets back because she didn't love him enough to know the difference?

That's how it happened in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Fringe

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 497 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:22 pm

So does this mean that Peter gets to be all pissy to MJ when he eventually gets back because she didn't love him enough to know the difference?

That's how it happened in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Fringe

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:54 pm

"Doddling" instead of "dawdling".

Nice work, mister editer!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:14 pm

So does this wrap up the trilogy of shit that was Clone Saga, OMD, and now this?

We could also throw Sins Past in there for good measure.

Marvel really can't help themselves when it comes to Spider-Man.. :(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Chris wrote:So does this wrap up the trilogy of shit that was Clone Saga, OMD, and now this?

It really is soapy. Now it's like when the soaps starting really losing viewers and they had to resort to more and more stunts to grab attention and headlines. And it worked for them too...for a little while.

But, like soap operas were becoming culturally obsolete because most women weren't sitting at home with three TV stations all day, Spider-man comics are fighting that same battle because people have other ways to fill their leisure time, and the comics aren't affordable as such anyway. People still found dramas to watch, cable tv is full of them. But the soap operas kept shrinking. People will flock to see a truly terrible Spider-man movie, but the comics will keep shrinking too without stuff like this.

I have already sold 3 Avenging Spider-man #15.1s for over 3x the cover price.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:

:smt011

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:32 pm

GLX wrote:
:smt011

Stephen Wacker wrote:No comic company has ever cared about the "greater scheme of things". Every comic you've ever loved was simply people trying to sell some comics that month.

That's the way of commercial art.

Hey don't blame me, "I'm just in it for the money, honey." :afro:

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Chris wrote:So does this wrap up the trilogy of shit that was Clone Saga, OMD, and now this?

They're well past being merely a trilogy of shitty stories. It's been the dynasty of crapola since about 1995 :(

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby misac » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
It really is soapy. Now it's like when the soaps starting really losing viewers and they had to resort to more and more stunts to grab attention and headlines. And it worked for them too...for a little while.

But, like soap operas were becoming culturally obsolete because most women weren't sitting at home with three TV stations all day, Spider-man comics are fighting that same battle because people have other ways to fill their leisure time, and the comics aren't affordable as such anyway. People still found dramas to watch, cable tv is full of them. But the soap operas kept shrinking. People will flock to see a truly terrible Spider-man movie, but the comics will keep shrinking too without stuff like this.

This will probably piss off Dan Slott too. :P

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

!!

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:49 pm

misac wrote:
This will probably piss off Dan Slott too. :P

What'd they sell like $2mil of #700 or something like that? I don't want to hear it! :P

But if I twittered, I'd expect to be blocked!

Now who wants a free code for #700?

Don't make me sell that too! I will do it!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 161 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:

I thought the soaps declined because they toned down with all the sex scenes.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Stephen Wacker wrote:No comic company has ever cared about the "greater scheme of things". Every comic you've ever loved was simply people trying to sell some comics that month.

That's the way of commercial art.

I'm honest enough to admit that this statement is true, that, as a whole, comics companies don't truly care about what they're selling as long as it is selling. I get it, acknowledge it, understand it.

But Wacker should be honest enough to acknowledge that many creators do care about what they do, that they are doing their best to put out material that is "good."

This turn of events in Spider-Man...take out all the personalities, the leaks, the emotion. Then ask yourself this question: Is this truly a good story? Is this the kind of story people would want to read about Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man, if it was their first exposure to the character?

I don't think it is, and that's the problem I have with this storyline. You can change Peter Parker's status quo...Marvel NOW! did it with many characters, longstanding franchises. Those changes, at least for the titles I've been reading, are all good, with the condition that I need to see a few more issues of Bendis' X-Men to make sure I understand where he's going with it. I think I get it, but I want to make sure.

But this deal with Spider-Man? I guess I'm really struggling to understand why this would be considered a good story, and to me, that's the problem Spider-Man has had, as MM said, for a really long time now: The stories themselves just haven't been good. This is no exception, and the salt in the wound is that Parker "lost" on pretty much every scale anyone would care to measure.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Steven Wacker declaring that they're officially just going for gimmicks instead of doing good stories pretty much guarantees I'll wait until this era is done.

Gimmicks are ok if you tell a good story around it. The new Ultimate Spider-Man is an example of that. Replacing Peter Parker with Miles Morales was an obvious gimmick to pique people's interest. But Bendis took that concept and made him into a really likable character you wanted to read about. And I love the book.

Amazing Spider-Man is....none of that. It's a bad concept from the get-go.

I wish they took the route Mark Waid took with Daredevil. No "this changes everything forever!" crap. He changed the tone of the book and does great stories issue after issue. It feels new and fresh but it doesn't rely on gimmicks.

And, holy shit....I just looked this up on the Marvel ap. This thing is $8!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Current twitter feed of Rich Johnston and Stephen Wacker on whether Otto-in-Peter's-body seducing an unknowing Mary Jane would be rape or not:

21m Rich Johnston ‏@richjohnston
@StephenWacker I was trying to say why I found it interesting. You ignored the use of the word "Redemption" in the same headline.
Collapse
2:37 PM - 26 Dec 12 · Details
19m Stephen Wacker ‏@StephenWacker
@richjohnston So did everyone. You know what you're doing.
Expand
13m Rich Johnston ‏@richjohnston
@StephenWacker You folk create these books with moral quandries.Dan did it with Starfox and She Hulk too. I'm looking to explore them.
Expand
12m Stephen Wacker ‏@StephenWacker
@richjohnston Understood...and you know how to get hits "sexy" headlines while doing it. Where's your disagreement?
Expand
10m Rich Johnston ‏@richjohnston
@StephenWacker I thought it was an interesting headline, not a screaming desperate one. Given the topic I wanted to be measured.
Expand
4m Stephen Wacker ‏@StephenWacker
@richjohnston Oh stop. You knew who you were playing too. The same people who claim "rape in Spidey!!!" every other month.
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite
2:54 PM - 26 Dec 12 · Details
3m Rich Johnston ‏@richjohnston
@StephenWacker It did come up with Chamelon and Michelle, and it was something Fred Van Lente also addressed at the time.
Expand
3m Rich Johnston ‏@richjohnston
@StephenWacker But no, I wasn't playing up to anyone who claim "rape in Spidey!" every month because I didn't know they did.
Expand

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand