Advertisement

American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest #5 (Spoilers Ahoy)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest #5 (Spoilers Ahoy)

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:57 am

A great issue to end a great mini-series. All of the relevant plot points are wrapped up satisfactorily, if not a little abruptly. Felicia and Cash try to navigate the battle between the ancient vampires and the Nazi vampires, while at the same time trying to make it to the rendezvous site with the cure. When it becomes clear that there are just too many foes for them to face while awaiting their extraction, Cash sacrifices himself to give Felicia a chance to escape. It's a touching scene and one that reminds you that even though the Vassals are usually seen as the bad guys in the American Vampire universe, they can just as easily carry a story all by themselves.

I think that's what got me the most about this series. So many times the humans in the American Vampire main series are used as pawns, unwitting dupes, or villains, so it was interesting to see an adventure from their perspective. You definitely got the impression that in the face of the overwhelming forces against them, the Vassals really are up against a wall. It was great to watch these characters who could have easily bled into the background of the story of Skinner Sweet really come into their own.

The most exciting part is that while all of the main plot-points of this miniseries were addressed, there was just enough left involving both McCogan's child and the ancient vampires that a sequel could easily be on the way. And I, for one, would be all over it.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Re: American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest #5 (Spoilers A

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:24 am

A great finale to what has been a highly enjoyable mini-series and companion piece to the main book. It’s been great fun following the adventures of Cash and Felicia behind enemy lines, especially as it’s been drawn by one of the best artists in the industry in Sean Murphy. His art is just so good, I can’t wait to see what his next project will be. This issue was mainly a great action show-piece, Cash and Felicia’s escape was very exciting and featured several cool moments, not the least of which was Cash sacrificing himself whilst singing the ‘Star-Spangled Banner’, which whilst a little cheesy, really worked well, and the book is titled ‘American Vampire’, you can’t fault it when it glorifies America a little. I’m glad that Cash’s son Gus seems to have been cured, I imagine we’ll see him again all grown up, it’s great how Snyder is building this really deep mythology with characters and lineages that will stretch throughout many time-periods.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand