Advertisement

Andy Diggle Discusses Plans For "Action Comics"

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Andy Diggle Discusses Plans For "Action Comics"

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:05 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
I'm utterly shocked you of all people are passing on this.

The only bad thing i can recall from Diggle is shadowland which was only because editorial mandated making it into an event. With creative freedom he can do amazing things with this book.

Yeah, everything leading up to actual Shadowland issues of Daredevil was incredible. I loved Roberto de la Torre's work on the early days of DD's involvement with The Hand. I remember being shocked at the drop-off in quality that started with the second issue of Shadowland. DAMN that was some shit. Really made me feel bad for Diggle that it kind of ruined his career.

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Herald wrote:
And just like that, with two further sentences I am OUT.

"Impetuous" is something I expect out of an inexperienced SuperBOY or worse, Chuck Austen's poorly-rendered Golden Age Super-throwback, not a SuperMAN with 5 years experience. Somebody tell this nUperguy to GROW UP.

And the LAST thing anybody should want to be is "Punchy"! :P :-D

DC has forgotten one of the main things that made their characters successful over the decades: Nobility. Ever since Miller's "Dark Knight" and Moore's "Watchmen" DC's tried to make their old line characters more "edgier." They've failed, for the most part.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
I'm utterly shocked you of all people are passing on this.

The only bad thing i can recall from Diggle is shadowland which was only because editorial mandated making it into an event. With creative freedom he can do amazing things with this book.

Frankly, I didn't like the untimely demise of the Darkstars in the Adam Strange mini. Especially since that's part of why DC Cosmic is pretty much "Lanterns! LANTERNS!! LANTERNS!!!" nowadays.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:32 pm

oogy wrote:Don't try to pretend that you were ever going to give the book an actual chance to begin with. :roll:

You never know, pal. I was actually considering getting the Sword and Sorcery book for Amethyst.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Herald wrote:
Frankly, I didn't like the untimely demise of the Darkstars in the Adam Strange mini. Especially since that's part of why DC Cosmic is pretty much "Lanterns! LANTERNS!! LANTERNS!!!" nowadays.

I thought the Darkstars were gone long before that, around Emerald Twilight. Were they still an active force in the DCU before Diggle killed them?

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
How bad WAS Chuck Austen's Superman? I avoided it because, well, it's Chuck Austen, and never heard anything about it besides the fact that he was swiftly ushered off of the title.

PAINFULLY horrible, which is why he was dumped from the book so quickly. Back when the story was being released, I called it "The Dialogue of Superman When He Was a Boy!"

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Herald wrote:

You truly are a fucking idiot if that's your reason for having no faith in what Diggle is capable of writing.

People gave less of a shit about the darkstars in 2005 than they did the female dr light if that's even possible.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:42 pm

I thought the Darkstars were gone long before that, around Emerald Twilight. Were they still an active force in the DCU before Diggle killed them?

Ron Marz wiped them all out save for a handful in the mid 90's after which they were forgotten till Mystery in Space.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:48 pm

I thought the Darkstars were gone long before that, around Emerald Twilight.

Actually, after Emerald Twilight, they were apparently taking the GLs' place. The tagline in an ad for the book explicitly made note of it: "The Emerald Light is extinguished! Now it's time for Darker justice!" John Stewart became a Darkstar at the time. And even G'NORT once showed up in a Darkstar uniform some time later!

Were they still an active force in the DCU before Diggle killed them?

Sure. Donna Troy was also a Darkstar, and she was appearing in both that book and New Titans. After the Darkstars book was cancelled, there were a few appearances here and there. One of the members of the InterC.E.P.T. crew that hassled Superboy and the Ravers was a Darkstar. Also, I'm fairly sure that appearance of G'nort as a member was in one of those 80-Page Giants that came out around 1999 or 2000.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:32 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
You truly are a fucking idiot if that's your reason for having no faith in what Diggle is capable of writing.

You truly are an idiot if you can't remember that I ALREADY GAVE A REASON EARLIER. :roll:

"Impetuous" is something I expect out of an inexperienced SuperBOY or worse, Chuck Austen's poorly-rendered Golden Age Super-throwback, not a SuperMAN with 5 years experience. Somebody tell this nUperguy to GROW UP.

Do you remember NOW??

"Lord, what FOOLS these mortals be!" *facepalm*

People gave less of a shit about the darkstars in 2005 than they did the female dr light if that's even possible.

Blah blah blah. You're just mad that anyone could possibly find fault in your crush, Andy Diggle. (Note the lack of the qualifier "man-" before "crush"...)

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Herald wrote:

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm

The Nacireman wrote:

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:46 am

Herald wrote:

In Kazakhstan hookers kill you.

- Sons of the Desert

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Andy Diggle Discusses Plans For

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 am

Seems like good business sense to push one of your top sellers.

06/2012: Green Lantern #10 -- 80,615 (- 8.0%)
07/2012: Green Lantern #11 -- 78,708 (- 2.4%)
08/2012: Green Lantern #12 -- 77,187 (- 1.9%)
09/2012: Green Lantern #0 -- 89,909 (+16.5%)
10/2012: Green Lantern #13 -- 91,814 (+ 2.1%)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand