Advertisement

Andy Diggle's Hellblazer is best since Ennis.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Andy Diggle's Hellblazer is best since Ennis.

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:31 pm

I picked up the second trade, "The Laughing Magician" and I'm sold. I loved the first arc, and this ones just as good. Diggle gets Constantine like no one but Ennis has, IMO. His England feels right, too. He's definitely got a good handle on the character.

And Leonard Manco on art is perfect for the book.

I hope Diggle stays on for a lengthy run.

I honestly have not enjoyed this book this much since Ennis' days.

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:37 pm

lets hope this level of quality transfers over into thunderbolts too :-)

andy diggle is really on a roll the last while.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:26 am

You guys do know that his run is ending in an issue or two or so, right?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 216 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Andy Diggle's Hellblazer is best since Ennis.

Postby Keb » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Chris wrote:Diggle gets Constantine like no one but Ennis has, IMO.
Alan Moore got Constantine quite well too, I'd like to think. :P
SHABBA!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:29 pm

GreG wrote:You guys do know that his run is ending in an issue or two or so, right?

Really? I didn't know that.. damn.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Re: Andy Diggle's Hellblazer is best since Ennis.

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Keb wrote:Alan Moore got Constantine quite well too, I'd like to think. :P

Well, yeah.

I'd like Alan Moore to write Hellblazer. At least for just an arc or two.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby McKegan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:45 pm

I'd say it's the best since Azzarello's run.

Manco's art seems to get scratchier and scratchier.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby PDH » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 pm

McKegan wrote:I'd say it's the best since Azzarello's run.

Manco's art seems to get scratchier and scratchier.

Yeah, I'll go along with that. I know a lot of people didn't like it but apart from the last arc, which confused the heck out of me, I thought Azzarello's run was superb. Diggle's isn't on a par with that since it offers nothing new but it is pretty solid.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Chris wrote:Really? I didn't know that.. damn.

Yeah the guy doing chaz's miniseries is taking over hellblazer fulltime, which is good as its been a fun read.

Though I'll miss Diggle as he was writing right when I jumped on the title and made me care about John.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:42 pm

PDH wrote:Yeah, I'll go along with that. I know a lot of people didn't like it but apart from the last arc, which confused the heck out of me, I thought Azzarello's run was superb. Diggle's isn't on a par with that since it offers nothing new but it is pretty solid.

I liked Azzarello's run when I first read it, when I hadn't read all that much Hellblazer prior to it.

Now that I've got just about every run on the book, I don't think it's as good. It just doesn't feel very much like Hellblazer, and the setting plays a huge role in that.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby McKegan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:06 am

Chris wrote:I liked Azzarello's run when I first read it, when I hadn't read all that much Hellblazer prior to it.

Now that I've got just about every run on the book, I don't think it's as good. It just doesn't feel very much like Hellblazer, and the setting plays a huge role in that.

See, for me, Azz's run was the closest to capturing the real Constantine. Ennis had the habit of getting too cutesy with it at times, with Kit and Christmas parties and what-not, Jenkins took that same feel and went even further with it (Constantine hanging with hippies), Carey kind of did a greatest hits version of Constantine. Azzarello portrayed John as a the real bastard he his.

Plus, I really liked how he used magic in the book.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby PDH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:26 pm

McKegan wrote:See, for me, Azz's run was the closest to capturing the real Constantine. Ennis had the habit of getting too cutesy with it at times, with Kit and Christmas parties and what-not, Jenkins took that same feel and went even further with it (Constantine hanging with hippies), Carey kind of did a greatest hits version of Constantine. Azzarello portrayed John as a the real bastard he his.

Plus, I really liked how he used magic in the book.

Yeah. Also, the best thing about Hellblazer is how different everyone's take is. Anyone who tries something new automatically gets points for me. This is not Spider-Man. You can get away with shit here that you could never get away with on a mainstream book. There's absolutely no excuse to play it safe as many writers seem content to do.

The best runs are the people who really brought something new to the table and found a remarkably versatile central concept that was more than capable of supporting them.

Azz made Constantine the scariest thing in the whole book. He showed what he must look like to other people, instead of wasting pages and pages with caption boxes internalising, humanising and ultimately ruining the enigma of Constantine. Certainly, you need to do that every now and then but Constantine works much better when you don't know what he's thinking.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand