Saturday, December 16, 2017 • Afternoon Edition • "ISIS approved!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Is anyone tired of Bendis???

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Zenguru wrote:And JR jr, which is the only reason I'm gonna take a look at Avengers #1.
I thought JRJR was one of those artists he didn't ever want to work with?

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Keb wrote:I thought JRJR was one of those artists he didn't ever want to work with?
Apparently he got over that, because he's drawing Avengers.

But where did you hear that?

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Zenguru wrote:Apparently he got over that, because he's drawing Avengers.

But where did you hear that?
It was a rumour a couple years ago. There were certain writers who did not want to work with certain artists because they didn't find the artists' respective styles were realistic enough.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Keb wrote:I really hate the way the man writes dialogue. Between that, the pacing of his stories (he has whole issues where NOTHING happens) and the fact that he re-uses panels A LOT, I'm surprised people still like him. I think he'd make a great plotter/creative consultant but I think he's a bad writer. He does get some really good artists who manage to make him look good (Alex Maleev).

I think he's ok.

Pretty much every writer turns out a dud every so often. But I'm usually entertained by his work.

Granted, I've always thought his Avengers stuff is some of his weakest work, but he's managed to get me to buy Ultimate Spider-Man consistently and that's like 140 straight issues at this point.

I think he's just one of those writers who fits on some things better than others.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Not really tired of him. New Avengers is okay, but his Dark Avengers was pretty good.

Am a bit skeptical about him doing multiple Avengers titles on relaunch though...

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:52 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I think he's ok.

Pretty much every writer turns out a dud every so often. But I'm usually entertained by his work.

Granted, I've always thought his Avengers stuff is some of his weakest work, but he's managed to get me to buy Ultimate Spider-Man consistently and that's like 140 straight issues at this point.

I think he's just one of those writers who fits on some things better than others.
I think Ultimate Spiderman turned me off of his work. I was semi-enjoying Powers (the ICON relaunch) and New Avengers was sustaining me until I started reading that (it was right around the time when he was finishing Daredevil, which was phenomenal). I really liked Jinx and the first issues of Powers. I've been debating to start buying trades of that series but I'm really torn because I hate his dialogue so much.

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I think he's just one of those writers who fits on some things better than others.

This.

Dalarsco

cheese

Postby Dalarsco » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:43 am

Am I tired of Bendis trying to write The Avengers? Yes. Do I believe that all the books should be sandwiched into one? No. The seven Avengers books are tengentially related, and each offers something different:
Avengers: Marvel's big guns. The most powerful and iconic heroes teaming up to face the big threats. I wish it were written by Slott, and will probably be dropping it unless the Kang arc is amazing.
New Avengers: A street level team. Something that Bendis can actually write! It should be called The Defenders, but the name isn't marketable and the miniseries that everyone forgets about established that the current Defenders team that no one remembers is the "true" Defenders.
Secret Avengers: Steve Rogers playing Nick Fury with his own Black Ops squad.
Avengers Prime: It's a mini about how the big three worked out their differences. It doesn't sound amazing, and would be better by someone other than Bendis, but I'll probably pick up the trade for the Davis art.
Avengers: Academy: The Initiative name will be anachronistic since the 50 States Initiative will most likely be abandoned. Expect it to pick up right where Avengers: The Initiative left off.
Young Avengers: They are a great cast and their own thing. I'm happy that they are finally coming back.
Thunderbolts: Luke Cage being the Rick Flagg to Marvel's Suicide Squad. Sounds good to me, especially with Parker attached.

It's a false assumption to assume that a bunch of books could easily be collapsed into one. Each of those books should have a distinct feel and purpose. I'm also 99% sure that Spidey and Wolverine will be in New Avengers only, and are just on the cover of Avengers #1 because the first arc will feature both teams, like X-Men #1. Aside from Luke Cage (who makes sense in both roles), everyone will be on one team, and each team has a different purpose and will use different characters.

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:16 am

Keb wrote:It was a rumour a couple years ago. There were certain writers who did not want to work with certain artists because they didn't find the artists' respective styles were realistic enough.
I would think that some artists might find that a bit offensive. It's comics fer pete's sake. I'm thinking writers who say that just want an excuse to cover their unappreciation for certain artists.

Dalarsco

cheese

Postby Dalarsco » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:24 am

The way Keb phrased it makes it sound douchy on Bendis' part, but it's true that some artists and writers would clash. Certain art styles are best suited for certain stories. For instance, I couldn't imagine Kirby doing a Garth Ennis story, even though they are both very good at what they do. The styles are just too different. It could be a simple matter of Bendis not thinking that JRJR fit his style, and deciding that the kind of stuff he was doing in the new Avengers book fit.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:51 am

Not really. I know I have the choice of not reading comics he wrote.

MrWadeWilsonHimself

dINGO

Postby MrWadeWilsonHimself » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:29 am

Zechs dick is tired of bendis

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:43 am

Dalarsco wrote:The seven Avengers books

Wait.

Serious?

There are seven Avengers books? You gotta be making that up, man. Seven? What the fuck do they need with seven Avengers books? Are they all ongoings?

I'm just sayin', if you haven't already told it in the first one to two books, maybe that shit don't really need to be told.

MrWadeWilsonHimself

dINGO

Postby MrWadeWilsonHimself » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:47 am

as long as a Christos Gage avengers book comes out during this heroic mumbo jumbo..ill be happy

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:02 am

Strict31 wrote:Wait.

Serious?

There are seven Avengers books? You gotta be making that up, man. Seven? What the fuck do they need with seven Avengers books? Are they all ongoings?

I'm just sayin', if you haven't already told it in the first one to two books, maybe that shit don't really need to be told.

It all depends what you consider an Avengers Book.

We'll have Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, and possibly a rumored Avengers: Academy book. That's a lot of Avengering right there and it's only three book with a potential fourth still unannounced.

Then we've got the Siege Aftermath: Avengers book by Bendis and Davis. This is a mini. Minis don't really count.

Thunderbolts. This is not an Avengers book.

We've also got the books that star Avengers characters. Captain America, Thor, The Invincible Iron Man... also The Amazing Spider-Man and whatever Wolverine books are coming out every month. These are tangentially Avengers titles even though they don't normally feature Avengers team action. These could technically be included since they're part of the Avengers family of titles.

So there are a lot of Avengers books. They are all written by Bendis. It's a mad house.

leave a comment with facebook