Advertisement

Aquaman #6 (I hate Mera! HATE! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Aquaman #6 (I hate Mera! HATE! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:44 am

Most of you will know that I am not a fan of Mera, or more precisely, I’m not a fan of how Geoff Johns seems obsessed with Mera and thinks that she’s the greatest character ever and that she should be the main star, not Aquaman. So it’s no surprise that I didn’t like this Mera spotlight issue at all. It was lame and clichéd and obvious in it’s attempts to make the reader think Mera was a ‘bad-ass’. I read Aquaman for Aquaman, not his boring wife, and no matter how hard Johns tries, I will never think she is interesting. It actually makes me mad that interesting superhero marriages like the Flash’s or Superman’s were erased by the reboot, but this one wasn’t, simply because Johns has a Mera-obsession bordering on the one he has for Sinestro. At least Sinestro is actually interesting! Gah! The art was decent, but other than that… NO.

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 315 posts

Re: Aquaman #6 (I hate Mera! HATE! Spoilers)

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:06 pm

I though this was a nice little one off story. It wasnt great but still pretty readable. Aquaman is one of the few decent DC books.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Mera is more interesting than Aquaman so this was good issue. Though I haven't read much of Mera before but is she really that clueless when dealing with the surface world?

gcoleman99
Mad Hatter

Postby gcoleman99 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Mera hates you too, Punchy... Maybe you two should just go out drinking together and shoot the shit with each other? :drunk

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I like Mera. Haven't read Brightest Day so I can't comment on Johns's supposed obsession with her.

That said, this issue was pretty dull.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:39 pm

While I like Mera, I can't believe that Geoff is STILL on this "Let's make fun of our heroes!!" kick.
Constantly calling her "Aquawoman"?? SHEESH. :roll:

Give it a REST, Geoff.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 315 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Herald wrote:While I like Mera, I can't believe that Geoff is STILL on this "Let's make fun of our heroes!!" kick.
Constantly calling her "Aquawoman"?? SHEESH. :roll:

Give it a REST, Geoff.

Yea he beats a dead horse more then Nacireman
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 945 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Christina Hendricks as Mera. Red headed and large boobie'd.

Works for me.

Johns too. :smt102
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 526 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:52 pm

I actually really like Mera, so this issue was great for me.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 423 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 am

Comic.
Of.
The.
Week 8)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

xshane666x
Mad Hatter

Postby xshane666x » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 am

I thought it was good. Its an easy, fast, read with beautiful art and a simple one shot story. No complaints.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 am

Aquaman #6 made the Best Sellers list at Comixology ! 8)
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 670 posts
Title: *NEW*
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Punchy wrote:Most of you will know that I am not a fan of Mera, or more precisely, I’m not a fan of how Geoff Johns seems obsessed with Mera and thinks that she’s the greatest character ever and that she should be the main star, not Aquaman. So it’s no surprise that I didn’t like this Mera spotlight issue at all. It was lame and clichéd and obvious in it’s attempts to make the reader think Mera was a ‘bad-ass’. I read Aquaman for Aquaman, not his boring wife, and no matter how hard Johns tries, I will never think she is interesting. It actually makes me mad that interesting superhero marriages like the Flash’s or Superman’s were erased by the reboot, but this one wasn’t, simply because Johns has a Mera-obsession bordering on the one he has for Sinestro. At least Sinestro is actually interesting! Gah! The art was decent, but other than that… NO.

1. You read Aquaman for Aquaman? Damn.
2. What was the story about besides featuring Mera?

Sromkie
underclassman

Postby Sromkie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:46 pm

I really enjoyed this one. Aquaman, overall, has been a really easy, light read. It's a fun book and one of the first I read when I get back from my local shop. I have never really been a big Mera fan, but I found this to be a fun read even though it featured a character that I don't typically care about.

I did like how Mera didn't take any crap from anyone until lives were in danger, and then she backed down and got in the back of the car. Very cool. It's nice for a character to show that they are willing to stand up for what they think is right, but also willing to put all that aside for others. This is probably the first time I have read a Mera-centric issue that has made me actually like the character somewhat.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:09 pm

sdsichero wrote: What was the story about besides featuring Mera?

A few flashbacks showing her days being trained as an assassin to kill Arthur, but after learning that he's not the bad guy her father kept saying that he was, her father expels her as a traitor.
The majority of the story focuses on her going into town, encounters a leacherous store owner whom she quickly teaches the meaning of "hands off". Hick Cops show up and try to arrest her. At the same time a hostage situation is taking place, so she tricks the cops to "arrest" her, rides along with to the hostage scene, takes control of that situation, and shows us all why being inland is not a weakness to her 8)

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand