Advertisement

Aquaman #7: Why I still read comics (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Re: Aquaman #7: Why I still read comics (spoilers)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 am

holtom2000 wrote:Don't you find a big reason for this title doing so well, outside johns writing it, is that it has so few changes from what just happened?
Generally speaking of course.

Absolutely -- I wouldn't be reading it otherwise. Johns had done a significant amount of world-building in Aquaman's story in Brightest Day, and while I get the feeling that he doesn't feel entirely bound by that work, clearly much of the characterization remains intact.

To the greater part about change: I don't want to belittle anyone's enjoyment of the New 52, nor do I want to pretend that the old DC Universe didn't have its problems. It did. There were lots of problems, some of them horrific.

But for me, I think some of the changes with the New 52 have been overdone and overblown. You can reset a universe without changing everything that has gone before, without making the massive changes that have resulted in things like the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans run never happening -- and no matter how anyone wants to slice that, that run CLEARLY didn't happen, yet characters who were expressly created during that run are active.

Aquaman makes as much sense as it does because it didn't change everything that come before. I'm glad for that.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 am

I'm mad late, I'm sure. But Elijah, your is sig with Prime being right. :lol: :lol: :lol:
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

nattygreene
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby nattygreene » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I felt it took only the slightest bit of imagination to use the character well, and the biggest thing the character needed was for the writer to show no weakness with Arthur Curry. You can't make the character incompetent or indecisive or a navel-gazer, constantly whining about his lot in life.

I had always felt that if you just played Aquaman straight, just made the character really confident and competent, a writer could do the one thing that is missing from many comics today and from the last few years: You can actually make a reader look at the book, read the book, with a sense of wonder. A sense of scale, of how powerful the ocean could be. Of how competent a character has to be to operate in that environment.

So in other words, one should write/treat Aquaman like Namor the Submariner.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:47 am

nattygreene wrote:So in other words, one should write/treat Aquaman like Namor the Submariner.

Obviously, not exactly with regard to attitude and motive; Namor's been opposed to enough happenings in "the surface world" that some could fairly question whose side he's on, while Aquaman has always been a child of two worlds, been more heroic in his attempts to protect everyone, for lack of a more precise description.

There's nothing wrong with being written like a competent character -- it's a credit to Marvel that Namor has had many good stories told about him, and I am hopeful that Aquaman is entering a phase where people will feel the same about this era.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

nattygreene
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby nattygreene » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:34 pm

As long as they don't stick a hook on his arm... The anti-hero doesn't work if you are royalty and people expect things from you.

I love Peter David on X-Factor, but his mid to late 90's run on Aqua was weaksauce.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 699 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Miracloman wrote:
I guess he is one of those "when he get it right,he get it right and when he get it wrong he get it wrong" guys.

This. But I'd say more often, he gets it right then not. But Captain Marvel... WTF!!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:11 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Absolutely -- I wouldn't be reading it otherwise. Johns had done a significant amount of world-building in Aquaman's story in Brightest Day, and while I get the feeling that he doesn't feel entirely bound by that work, clearly much of the characterization remains intact.

To the greater part about change: I don't want to belittle anyone's enjoyment of the New 52, nor do I want to pretend that the old DC Universe didn't have its problems. It did. There were lots of problems, some of them horrific.

But for me, I think some of the changes with the New 52 have been overdone and overblown. You can reset a universe without changing everything that has gone before, without making the massive changes that have resulted in things like the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans run never happening -- and no matter how anyone wants to slice that, that run CLEARLY didn't happen, yet characters who were expressly created during that run are active.

Aquaman makes as much sense as it does because it didn't change everything that come before. I'm glad for that.

Great post

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand