Advertisement

Aquaman #29 (You look aquatic Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Aquaman #29 (You look aquatic Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:10 am

You know an issue of Aquaman is going to be a lot of fun when the very first line is ‘outrageous!’ Whilst I don’t think the Brave & The Bold cartoon version of Aquaman would really work in the DCU, he’s still a brilliant take on the character, so Jeff Parker taking little bits and pieces from it just puts a smile on my face.

This issue picks up from where #28 left off, with Aquaman and Mera returning home to find that his Trident has been stolen. Thanks to his new Police Friend, Aquaman soon finds out that it was taken by Dr Daniel Evans, a scientist working out in the Azores. He heads off to get it back, which means Mera has to go to an Atlantean Council meeting in his stead.

This meeting serves to continue the growing sense of distrust between Aquaman and his council, but also to set up an interesting crossover between this book and Charles Soule’s Aquaman. The reason for this meeting is because of a strange burst of Algae in the ocean. Readers of Swamp Thing will be familiar with this event, and it’s very cool to see it reflected in another title, and for us to have a crossover that really seems organic.

Back at Dr Evans’ site, things obviously don’t go to plan. The Trident isn’t opening up a portal to Ancient Atlantis, instead it’s just opening the doors to the prison where the Atlanteans kept their most feared monsters. These monsters managed to use their will to change the symbols on the stone, so ‘Hell’ was changed to ‘Gate’ and someone would be tricked. It worked, and now they are out, wreaking havoc. Aquaman soon arrives to save the day and fight some monsters, which is always fun, Jeff Parker seems to have really amped up on the monster quotient of this title.

Just as it looks like Aquaman is about to save the day, one of the chief monsters goes back into the portal to bring back with her an even bigger threat. This massive humanoid figure is far too strong for Aquaman, and he should be, as it’s none other than Hercules. The back-story here is that the Atlantean King asked Hercules to come help him defeat these monsters, and Herc did so, pushing them into the portal. But the King couldn’t risk the monsters getting out, so he shut the door with Hercules still inside and left him with the beasts. Now he’s back, and with vengeance towards the Atlantean King on his mind… even though it’s not the same King! I like this reveal, it explains why Hercules hasn’t been a part of Wonder Woman (although the First Born is sort of like Hercules, maybe he’s Heracles?) and he’s a formidable foe for Aquaman, I’m not too familiar with the old DC version of Hercules, but I gather that he was a more villainous character than Marvel’s loveable oaf, like how he actually raped Hippolyta.

This title continues to be a lot of fun under Parker, he surprised us last issue with the High School Reunion, and he’s done so again here. Paul Pelletier’s art was great once again, this was a very action-packed issue, and he delivered that, and the look of the various weird monsters was very cool. He suits this title’s old-school superhero tone.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 423 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Aquaman #29 (You look aquatic Spoilers)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm guessing that somehow Swamp Thing gets the trident before Aquaman does and he uses it to prevent the plant life from creating anymore disasters.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Aquaman #29 (You look aquatic Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:29 pm

I don't know what it was about this issue but I really wasn't into it. I absolutely loved the last issue and the high school reunion but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get into the story. You would think that concept of an ancient Atlantean prison being unlocked and the horrors within being unleashed upon the modern day surface world would be an instantly compelling story. Instead, we are given a handful of weird looking creatures that are more goofy than terrifying, running amok, while Aquaman battles them and lectures the guy who unleashed them about the dangers of a modern day surface dweller attempting to understand ancient Atlantean artifacts. It was the all around, over the top, almost silly vibe of the rest of the story that really undercut the revelation of Hercules and what he was doing in the prison with the rest of these "monsters."

Where as the last issue of Aquaman bought this series a little more time on my pull list, I can't help but feel that this overwhelmingly underwhelming issue may have pushed it back over the other side of the fence. Unfortunately, Aquaman may be heading for my pull list's chopping block next month. :-(
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand