Advertisement

Avengers Academy #22 (Magneto is old and sad Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Avengers Academy #22 (Magneto is old and sad Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:22 am

Whilst I was kind of annoyed that this was another issue of AA that was a lot more focused on one of the teachers than the kids themselves, this was still good, and I do like Quicksilver a lot, and some of the kids do get stuff to do. I loved the stuff between Magneto and Quicksilver, just damn solid writing and proof enough that Christos Gage should be given a shot at writing some X-Men comics. I also liked Hawkeye reflecting the views of a lot of the comics readership in viewing Cyclops’ side of the schism as a bunch of villains, and the interaction between Emma Frost and Tigra was hilarious. Oh, and so was the Sentinel scene! Gage is so good at finding these little connections and nods, and rather than use them as slavish continuity, he turns them into jokes. We don’t get much more info into Reptil being possessed by his evil future-self, but I suppose he was a little bit more of a dick in this issue. And Julie Power is a lesbian now, so that’s new.

Advertisement

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Re: Avengers Academy #22 (Magneto is old and sad Spoilers)

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:31 am

Meh, color me unimpressed with this issue. Not a big fan of kids attacking heroes two issues in a row.

Also, I find it a bit incredulous that Hawkeye, former villain, who was on an Avengers team filled with former villains and led a team full of former villains would be so hard-pressed to believe that former villains were turning over a new leaf.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:45 am

BlueStreak wrote:Meh, color me unimpressed with this issue. Not a big fan of kids attacking heroes two issues in a row.

Also, I find it a bit incredulous that Hawkeye, former villain, who was on an Avengers team filled with former villains and led a team full of former villains would be so hard-pressed to believe that former villains were turning over a new leaf.

To be fair, the former villain in this case is Magneto, he's on another level compared to Atlas and Mach V.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 299 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:47 am

Punchy wrote:
To be fair, the former villain in this case is Magneto, he's on another level compared to Atlas and Mach V.

Plus Clint is still pissed he fucked a Doombot that looked his daughter.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 805 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Punchy wrote:Whilst I was kind of annoyed that this was another issue of AA that was a lot more focused on one of the teachers than the kids themselves, this was still good, and I do like Quicksilver a lot, and some of the kids do get stuff to do. I loved the stuff between Magneto and Quicksilver, just damn solid writing and proof enough that Christos Gage should be given a shot at writing some X-Men comics. I also liked Hawkeye reflecting the views of a lot of the comics readership in viewing Cyclops’ side of the schism as a bunch of villains, and the interaction between Emma Frost and Tigra was hilarious. Oh, and so was the Sentinel scene! Gage is so good at finding these little connections and nods, and rather than use them as slavish continuity, he turns them into jokes. We don’t get much more info into Reptil being possessed by his evil future-self, but I suppose he was a little bit more of a dick in this issue. And Julie Power is a lesbian now, so that’s new.

Isn't Gage on Legacy? Or is that just a fill-in?

I don't remember if it was outright stated in Loners that Julie was a lesbian but it was hinted that she at least was thinking about it...

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 644 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Isn't Gage on Legacy? Or is that just a fill-in?

I don't remember if it was outright stated in Loners that Julie was a lesbian but it was hinted that she at least was thinking about it...

Yep it was hinted in Loners that she was, as she seemed to have to be attracted to Karolina in Runaways. and Gage takes over Legacy when Carey leaves.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:59 pm

and if i remember correctly in this issue it was a character saying that Julie should just come out, not Julie saying she was

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:03 pm

The whole Quicksilver is better than Magneto message was kind of a clunker for me. I feel like Quicksilver trying to pass himself off as better than anyone is going to be a bit of a hard pill to swallow, for me, as a reader.

Plus the whole fight thing seemed a bit cliched.

But other than that, a perfectly fine read.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:10 pm

well Pietro has ALWAYS been arrogant and has always felt he was better than everyone.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:58 pm

e_galston wrote:well Pietro has ALWAYS been arrogant and has always felt he was better than everyone.

That is very true. It's definitely not out of character for him, plus it is kind of amusing seeing some of the kids get sucked into, hook, line and sinker.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 580 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:10 am

This book really took a dip for the worse with this issue.

One word - X-Men.

Hank needs to call in Magneto for help? What's Pym smoking? If he needs a hand he could have called in Richards or Stark. If you need help from a mass murderer calling Magneto (or Wolverine) is just wrong. Polaris makes far more sense than Maggy (regardless of Cyke (or Wolverine :roll:) vouching for him.

I had to laugh when Cyclops landed his crew right next to a Sentinel (that he apparently never saw until AFTER he deboarded). :lol:

The exchanges between Emma and Tigra weren't funny (just stating the obvious) (and served to remind me for some reason that Emma used to mentally control Magneto for the worse - how's he like having her as a teammate?).

How the hell would Magneto know that Luna isn't talking to Pietro? This was really a "what the fuck" moment that took me completely out of the book.

Kids just bursting in attacking Magneto? The teachers at the Academy have't taught them much about strategy I guess. (and nitpicking here - the windows in Pym's laboratory break real easy don't they?).

If this is what Cyclops and his X-Men are all about now with quotes like "we prepare mutant children for war" and "I'm preparing kids to survive genocide", I'm so glad I dropped those books ages ago.

But enough with the negative - this book did a few good moments once you exclude the mutant nonsense...

Quicksilver quickly defending Finese, Hank not wanting the kids actual thoughts to remain private, Gage using "what the hell" and the tennis match conversation, etc.

And Punchy - Hawkeye's reaction isn't so much reflecting the readers opinion as it is Gage staying true to Hawkeye's character. In the early Busiek days Hawkeye was crying 'mind control' a number of times (especially with the Squadron Supreme).

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:22 pm

its just what Cyclops' side of the fence is doing... Wolverine and the School are actually trying to teach the students.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Amoebas wrote:And Punchy - Hawkeye's reaction isn't so much reflecting the readers opinion as it is Gage staying true to Hawkeye's character. In the early Busiek days Hawkeye was crying 'mind control' a number of times (especially with the Squadron Supreme).

Except that was a joke based on the fact that every time the Squadron Supreme showed up they got mind-controlled, I'd hardly say that it's a part of Hawkeye's character.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 580 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Punchy wrote:
Except that was a joke based on the fact that every time the Squadron Supreme showed up they got mind-controlled, I'd hardly say that it's a part of Hawkeye's character.

Completely disagree - right or wrong Hawkeye calls it the way he sees it. You made him out to be some sort of 4th wall Superboy Prime character.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Amoebas wrote:Completely disagree - right or wrong Hawkeye calls it the way he sees it. You made him out to be some sort of 4th wall Superboy Prime character.

Except Cyclops obviously isn't being mind-controlled, whereas the Squadron Supreme were.

I didn't say that Hawkeye was overtly breaking the fourth wall, just that it was funny to see him express the (wrong) views that many people on the internet have expressed about Cylops' side.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand