Advertisement

Avengers Applaud Responsible Coverage of NY Post in Face of National Tragedy

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 235 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 pm

The paper's irresponsible philosophy of deciding people are guilty before they've done anything wrong is said to be "just the way The Avengers would do it."

Source: The Verge

Responsible journalists all over the country were outraged this week upon learning New York Post ran a front page story showing a picture of two men with backpacks at the Boston Marathon and claiming they were suspects in the bombing that has killed three people and injured dozens more. The men appeared to be of Arab descent, which is all the evidence The Post needed to declare them guilty, despite the source of the photos being speculation on notoriously not-actual-news-sources 4chan and Reddit, whose members had taken to independently examining photos and videos of the bombing to identify potential suspects (see second photo below). One man, however, thinks that The Post's yellow journalism is a good thing: super soldier and American icon, Captain America.

"What the New York Post is doing is exactly what I would do in this situation," Captain America posted on his recently opened Myspace account. "For instance, if I learned that a bird-themed cosmic death god was heading toward the Earth, I would immediately seek out a teenager based on her genetics and cultural heritage, decide that she's guilty, and demand that she be taken into custody without any evidence that she'd committed any crime."

In the case of the photo published on the front page of the Post,* it turns out that, despite their non-white skin tone, the two men were a local high school track athlete and his coach, and that the two were innocently watching the race. Thanks to the Post's actions, the pair may suffer from the undeserved suspicion of people who recognize them for the rest of their lives. But one friend of Captain America, Iron Man, feels the Post didn't take things far enough.

"If it were me," Iron Man posted on his Tumblr blog," I would have probably built a giant space cannon and used it to blast a bird-themed cosmic space god into multiple pieces, and then forced those pieces to possess the two men."

"Then, if they used the cosmic bird death power for good," he continued, "I would get my friends together and hound them nonstop until they were driven to kill their former mentor, and then I would declare them terrorists and enemies of the state. That's what I would do."

Luckily, Captain America and Iron Man are fictional characters that don't really exist and can't cause that kind of irresponsible damage. The New York Post, on the other hand, is a widely known news outlet with a daily circulation of over 500,000 people, so perhaps they should act a little bit more responsibly than two spandex-wearing male power fantasies written by overgrown fanboys with the emotional maturity of twelve year old boys.

Just sayin'.

*The Verge had the decency to blur the photos to prevent further damage to the men's privacy, and we have not reprinted their names for that same reason. The men have been cleared of any wrongdoing.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 139 posts

Re: Avengers Applaud Responsible Coverage of NY Post in Face

Postby dairydead » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:31 pm

i dont get why people still think Cap "arrested" Hope for some sort of crime, or that she was considered "guilty" of anything . She was a target for a force that blows up planets. They were literally just moving the target out of 6 billion people's way.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 528 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:25 pm

He just won't back down...

Image Image Image ImageImage

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:31 pm

dairydead wrote:i dont get why people still think Cap "arrested" Hope for some sort of crime, or that she was considered "guilty" of anything . She was a target for a force that blows up planets. They were literally just moving the target out of 6 billion people's way.

Shhhhhhhh...don't bring common sense into the forum.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand