Advertisement

Avengers Arena #8 (Our football has different Gods Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers Arena #8 (Our football has different Gods Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

I continue to really enjoy this title. Unlike Young Avengers, it is most definitely not written to please it’s target audience, and it’s all the better for it. Hopeless is constantly surprising me with this title, and you never know what to expect. This issue catches us up with all of our heroes who aren’t dead yet, and there’s plenty of great moments and surprises. I’m glad to see that Juston is still alive, but sadly his Sentinel isn’t quite the same and he himself seems to have gone a bit crazy.

The stuff with the Braddock Academy is also very good, everyone’s shocked in the aftermath of Anachronism decapitating Kid Briton, and we get some cool revelations. There’s our biggest hint yet that Bloodstone is gay and in love with Anachronism, which was expected, but cool to see. But the biggest surprise is that Apex, aka Katy, is not actually called Katy, but is a dude named Tim! WTF? That is bonkers.

I think it’s a real testament to Hopeless that in the space of only 8 issues, I’m as invested in all of these all-new heroes as I am in the ones I already know like the Runaways and Avengers Academy kids. Speaking of those guys, Chase finally reveals that he is now Darkhawk and starts to fight Sentinel, which is going to be awesome. This is one of the few books out there that is genuinely surprising each month, and it’s due to the precise reason so many people online seem to hate it. It’s because it’s using lesser-known characters that people don’t care that much about and is free to fuck with them as much as possible. The wanton slaughter is a good thing, not a bad one, most of these characters are more relevant in imminent death than they ever were before.

Advertisement

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 721 posts

Re: Avengers Arena #8 (Our football has different Gods Spoil

Postby HNutz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:26 am

Punchy wrote:I continue to really enjoy this title. Unlike Young Avengers, it is most definitely not written to please it’s target audience, and it’s all the better for it. Hopeless is constantly surprising me with this title, and you never know what to expect. This issue catches us up with all of our heroes who aren’t dead yet, and there’s plenty of great moments and surprises. I’m glad to see that Juston is still alive, but sadly his Sentinel isn’t quite the same and he himself seems to have gone a bit crazy.

The stuff with the Braddock Academy is also very good, everyone’s shocked in the aftermath of Anachronism decapitating Kid Briton, and we get some cool revelations. There’s our biggest hint yet that Bloodstone is gay and in love with Anachronism, which was expected, but cool to see. But the biggest surprise is that Apex, aka Katy, is not actually called Katy, but is a dude named Tim! WTF? That is bonkers.

I think it’s a real testament to Hopeless that in the space of only 8 issues, I’m as invested in all of these all-new heroes as I am in the ones I already know like the Runaways and Avengers Academy kids. Speaking of those guys, Chase finally reveals that he is now Darkhawk and starts to fight Sentinel, which is going to be awesome. This is one of the few books out there that is genuinely surprising each month, and it’s due to the precise reason so many people online seem to hate it. It’s because it’s using lesser-known characters that people don’t care that much about and is free to fuck with them as much as possible. The wanton slaughter is a good thing, not a bad one, most of these characters are more relevant in imminent death than they ever were before.

Yeah, I was confused by the Katy/Tim thing.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand