Advertisement

Avengers Assemble #17 (Robot Lobotomy in my Motherland Spoil

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Avengers Assemble #17 (Robot Lobotomy in my Motherland Spoil

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:13 am

It’s the penultimate chapter of the ‘Enemy Within’ crossover and once again Kelly Sue DeConnick delivers a very enjoyable ride with some awesome dialogue that really shows why she’s writing the Avengers title geared towards movie-fans. If I had a little more cash I’d probably carry on picking up this title once the crossover ends, but alas.

The focus here is of course on Captain Marvel, but DeConnick makes sure to give most of the other Avengers something to do. I continue to love her take on Thor, he’s just so funny. The current Thor title is kind of grim, which is not a bad thing, and Aaron does have a dark sense of humour, but it’s good to read a funny Thor, because really, he’s pretty silly. I also really liked Wolverine in this issue, and it was a nice surprise to see Sersi from The Eternals show up again. I’ve been a fan of those characters since Gaiman and JRjr’s run, so it’s cool to see them. Ikari should join the Avengers! You know it makes sense.

In the end, it looks like it’s the two Caps standing together to face down Yon-Rogg. America and Marvel, ooh yeah. I was a little confused by the ending, are we meant to think that Yon-Rogg is behind Carol’s brain lesion? I guess we’ll find out in Captain Marvel. The artwork here was very strong, Matteo Buffagni is great, and Pepe Larraz really impressed me here, a big step up from the stuff he did Mighty Thor. I especially liked the depiction of the Cap-Cycle in this issue, it’ll be a shame if Carol stops using it once she regains her flight powers, it’s a pretty awesome vehicle, much better than the Spider-Mobile.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand