Advertisement

Avengers #21 (Cease and Desist Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers #21 (Cease and Desist Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 am

This issue was basically the Avengers getting the shit kicked out of them by HAMMER but it was still good stuff. Bendis had a lot of fun with yet another twist on Spider-Woman’s loyalties, but it was of course a fake-out. It was quite odd that Storm was taken out so easily by HAMMER, considering she was on the cover and this issue was being advertised as her cutting loose and whupping some ass, but then I suppose we shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover (even though we all do in the world of comics). Renato Guedes did a good job on the art and I felt did well in adjusting his style slightly to make it look a bit like Acuna’s. Things are looking bleak for the Avengers at the moment, Norman has beaten them both here and in New Avengers, I can’t wait to see how they’ll win this.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 617 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Avengers #21 (Cease and Desist Spoilers)

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am

I felt like nothing happened in this issue. The entire issue could have been accomplished in one splash page showing the Avengers in a room in a bunch of cages, with Norman Osborn and his Dark Avengers standing around gloating at them, the title "CAPTURED!" And a caption box that says "'NUFF SAID." Then we could have moved on to the important part of the story.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:55 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I felt like nothing happened in this issue. The entire issue could have been accomplished in one splash page showing the Avengers in a room in a bunch of cages, with Norman Osborn and his Dark Avengers standing around gloating at them, the title "CAPTURED!" And a caption box that says "'NUFF SAID." Then we could have moved on to the important part of the story.

welcome to Bendis!
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28 am

chap22 wrote:welcome to Bendis!

It's all comics today, really, and this just happens to be a particularly strong example of it. A lot happens in Bendis's Moon Knight, and I enjoy the Great One's Avengers overall.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:17 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I felt like nothing happened in this issue. The entire issue could have been accomplished in one splash page showing the Avengers in a room in a bunch of cages, with Norman Osborn and his Dark Avengers standing around gloating at them, the title "CAPTURED!" And a caption box that says "'NUFF SAID." Then we could have moved on to the important part of the story.

I think that decent art and a few well executed fight scenes could have made for a pretty good fight book. Alas.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Zero wrote:
I think that decent art and a few well executed fight scenes could have made for a pretty good fight book. Alas.

That's true. The problem here is that it became clear very early on in this issue that what we were going to see was all the groups of Avengers being defeated. Ergo, there was no suspense in any of the fights, no desperate hope that one of these heroes was going to survive. Because of that, it was all pointless, and so, why not just have the defeats occur off camera (or in far fewer panels) and get on with it?

Rikk Odinson
Society Member

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:56 pm

If I would have read this I'm sure I would have hated it and had things to bitch about.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
That's true. The problem here is that it became clear very early on in this issue that what we were going to see was all the groups of Avengers being defeated. Ergo, there was no suspense in any of the fights, no desperate hope that one of these heroes was going to survive. Because of that, it was all pointless, and so, why not just have the defeats occur off camera (or in far fewer panels) and get on with it?

We usually know who's going to win fights anyway, these are superhero comics after all, but doing them in a creative and interesting way for a change would at least justify the all-beatdown issue. If you have nothing new or even just good to add, skipping it all and going for Jude's plan would be much more likely to not piss people off.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Zero wrote:
We usually know who's going to win fights anyway, these are superhero comics after all, but doing them in a creative and interesting way for a change would at least justify the all-beatdown issue. If you have nothing new or even just good to add, skipping it all and going for Jude's plan would be much more likely to not piss people off.

I don't think we necessarily know who is going to win. If I was told the concept of this issue was that it was the point in a story when the villains are showing their dominance by defeating the heroes, it's not a given that automatically, each of the heroes was going to be beaten down and captured. It very easily could be any number of situations. For instance, 4 of 5 teams of heroes are beaten down and captured, but one unlikely team (say, Hawkeye and Spider-Woman, arguably the weakest power-wise of the bunch), manage to defy the odds and barely escape, and now are left alone to try and win an uphill battle where their most powerful allies are captured. There's a suspense there. And that's just one of an infinite number of scenarios. But by a few pages into this book, I knew exactly what I was going to see - the same scene repeated over and over, where a small team of Avengers is beaten and captured by some thugs. It became completely pointless from that point forward.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand