Advertisement

Avengers #19 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Avengers #19 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Infinity rumbles on, and this really is an event that feels different from any other. The scale of the threat the Avengers are facing, both at home and out in space is so big and out there, it kind of feels like the Avengers have stepped into an entire different world of story, like they accidentally walked into Star Wars or something. This half of the crossover is a sci-fi story that just happens to have superheroes in it as part of the good-guy army, and it’s working out fantastically.

This issue focuses on the Avengers out in space fighting the Builders, on the likes of Captain Marvel and Hawkeye who are imprisoned, and also Captain America and Thor who are left planning their next move in the big war. The captured Avengers stuff was OK, especially as we saw a chink of weakness in The Builders in that they are afraid of Captain Universe and don’t know why she, Starbrand and Nightmask are Avengers. The Builders have been, for me, pretty poorly defined as villains, so it was good to see some more about them. It was also great to see Captain Marvel take centre-stage here, and I also loved Hawkeye’s line about how he’s not just a ‘base-line human’.

But for me, the stuff with Cap’s team and the Galactic Council was the best part of the issue, because of two characters, Ex Nihilo and J-Son Of Spartax. Much like his creators, I have found Ex Nihilo to be a bit blank, but this issue gave him a lot of needed depth, and his reactions to what one of his fellow Exs did was really rather tragic. He’s a being who was created to give life, but now people who look exactly like him are going against that and destroying. It looks like the next issue of Avengers is going to see him in a fight against some other Ex-dudes, which should be great. His reaction also raises the question of just why the Builders have turned from building to destroying, at this point, it doesn’t make much sense.

As for J-Son, man, he is just a massive dick isn’t he? We’ve seen it regularly (well, semi-regularly) in the pages of Guardians Of The Galaxy, and now he’s taken his dickishness to a whole new level. Not only does he constantly badmouth our beloved Earth (even though he was saved and fell in love with a Earth-woman), he then goes behind the rest of the Council’s back and tries to make a deal with the Builders. Of course, this back-fires and the Builders trace his communication and another attack is on. Stupid J-Son, what a cunt, I can’t wait to see him get his comeuppance at the hands of Star-Lord.

I suppose this issue did continue my problem with this series in that the Avengers are not really a presence in this story, half of them are captured, and the rest of them are just standing around, but in this case, I didn’t mind it as much, perhaps because the stakes are so much bigger. The most proactive Avenger in this issue is Ex Nihilo, and all he does is talk (although we did get a flashback to Captain Marvel in action as Binary, so that may count), hopefully next issue will bring the action, because really, when you have Leinil Yu, you want some action. But still, Infinity has been great so far, I genuinely don’t know what’s coming next, apart from that J-Son will be a tool.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Avengers #19 (INFINITY Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Punchy wrote:I suppose this issue did continue my problem with this series in that the Avengers are not really a presence in this story, half of them are captured, and the rest of them are just standing around,

This has been a problem most of the time when the Avengers head out into space. More often than not, by the time Earth is aware of something going on up there to the point that it's affecting Earth, events are well underway and the team is simply reacting to what's happening. On top of that, it's a little difficult to tell a story in which the Avengers are the equal to the Kree or Shi'ar military and make that fact seem reasonable or realistic.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 pm

As for this issue itself, I liked it. Infinity overall has been a fun crossover with some great twists. I liked the scenes with J-Son and how he proved himself to be a true idiot.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:48 am

Loved this issue.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:45 am

Stephen Day wrote:
This has been a problem most of the time when the Avengers head out into space. More often than not, by the time Earth is aware of something going on up there to the point that it's affecting Earth, events are well underway and the team is simply reacting to what's happening. On top of that, it's a little difficult to tell a story in which the Avengers are the equal to the Kree or Shi'ar military and make that fact seem reasonable or realistic.

How difficult is it to compare that The Avengers can take on the Kree as opposed to the ragtag characters in Star Wars managing to outwit the Empire over and over again, with the Rebel Alliance acting more as cleanup than the leadoff?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
How difficult is it to compare that The Avengers can take on the Kree as opposed to the ragtag characters in Star Wars managing to outwit the Empire over and over again, with the Rebel Alliance acting more as cleanup than the leadoff?

The Rebel Alliance was still on their home turf, they were used to operating throughout most of the territory they fought in. They also had lots of people who sided with them within the Empire who would give them aide. When the the heroes of Earth go into space they have some allies, the Starjammers for instance, but not to the same extent and they're not even close to be as familiar with the territories they work in when they do as the Alliance. So no, I don't think the rebels from Star Wars and the Avengers are comparable.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:52 pm

The most impressive things about this whole story is #1. Hickman is writing the entirety of this crossover churning out 4 very dense books a month. #2 Despite being incredibly dense and filled with character with e names it's still very readable. #3. It's being drawn wonderfully. #4. I haven't gone out of my way to read any tie ins but, the periphery books I've read have done a good job at showing the scope of everything and how the MU is dealing with it.

Unfortunately it needs to start moving faster and we need to flesh out the builders/engineers as actual villains since we have two villain fronts across 3 books and Thanos has yet to really show what his plans are and how these two factions will eventually combine. I know the story is still fairly young but the stakes are so high and broad that they don't feel actually that dire or important.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Very good review.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 306 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Hickman's stuff is jut clicking perfectly for me all across the board. Can't remember the last time I've actually thought a big 2 book has felt this epic in scope.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand