Advertisement

Avengers vs. X-Men #2 (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 308 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: Avengers vs. X-Men #2 (spoilers)

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:36 am

dairydead wrote:
if i recall, they mentioned earlier that they were planning to take her far away from earth.

Drop her on the Badoon homeworld and let the Phoenix do its thing there :P

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:11 pm

This issue was everything I love about summer event comics. It was big, it was loud, and it really did feel like an event. Yes, it was basically just one big fight between the Avengers and the X-Men, but that’s the title of the series, and really, what more do you want? Jason Aaron’s descriptions of the various fights was probably a bit too portentous, but it worked, lending these fights a real gravity. This isn’t just your average superhero punch-up, this is all-out war, and it just brought a massive fanboy grin to my face. I loved how Aaron tried to give each fight an emotional hook, such as Wolverine fighting his own people, or Storm fighting her husband, Black Panther, or Quicksilver his dad. And if he couldn’t find a connection, he just made it as awesome as possible, such as Red Hulk Vs Colossus. It’s brilliant that JRjr is drawing this stuff, he’s drawn pretty much all of these characters before, so there’s a sense of familiarity in amongst the confusion of the newfound enmity. Of course there’s more here than just the fight, with Hope finally succumbing to the Phoenix and heading off, I wonder where she’s going? I had expressed doubts about how the baton-passing nature of this title would work, but so far it’s been good, Bendis handed over to Aaron pretty seamlessly. You could tell it was a different writer, but the tone of the story remained consistent. Who’s up next time? Brubaker? The only writer I really have any fears about is Hickman, he hasn’t written any of these characters much before apart from the Thing and Spider-Man as members of the FF, he’s the unknown quantity, but then that could be to his advantage.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:45 am

Punchy wrote:If Marvel do a Universal reboot I will eat my hat, they'll never do it, ever.

You'd better be right, Punch. There's no reason to do it. They've done so much right over the past eight years...they need to not even consider that. DC was awful. Marvel has been good, at some points very good, for the last 8 years.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:46 am

alaska1125 wrote:When Cap's sheild smacked Cyclops right in the visor? What I was waiting for. That. Right there.

This. A thousand times, this.
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 581 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:28 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
You'd better be right, Punch. There's no reason to do it. They've done so much right over the past eight years...they need to not even consider that. DC was awful. Marvel has been good, at some points very good, for the last 8 years.

and then here I am thinking the exact opposite where has been pretty much unreadable for the last eight years. A reboot would bring me back to a ton of books.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 am

Amoebas wrote:and then here I am thinking the exact opposite where has been pretty much unreadable for the last eight years. A reboot would bring me back to a ton of books.

Ha! You know what? I honestly forget that many, many people haven't liked Marvel for a while now, with Civil War and the Dark Avengers/X-Men era. There was so much I found to read, with all the Marvel Cosmic stuff, as well as some other runs of things I liked, I had actually forgotten that Marvel was irritating a great many people.

You and I are usually locked in fairly closely on stuff, Amoebas...that hasn't really changed. It's more that I found Marvel's horrors to be fairly fixable...hell, now even Scarlet Witch is back on the board, which helps.

e_galston

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 650 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:37 am

dairydead wrote:
if i recall, they mentioned earlier that they were planning to take her far away from earth.

yeah BEFORE she had the phoenix force... clearly she has an aspect of it now, so i don't see how they could quarantine her..

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 486 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 am

Maybe Hank can come up with another one of his jazzy inhibitor-headbands to contain Hope's power like he tried to do for Jean :P

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 110 posts

Postby PDH » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:43 am

Wanda is to the Avengers what Phoenix is to the X-Men. I reckon it's going to come down to one vs the other in the end. If nothing else, I'm sure the Scarlet Witch will have a major role to play in the conclusion (reversing M-Day?)

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1066 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:52 am

I still se Cap as the villain. Fighting on the side of Fascism, as Cyclops said. Then again, there are a lot of pro-Fascists here so the support doesn't surprise me.

The Avengers and the X-Men face world-threatening events on a daily basis. Why should this one cause them to want to turn on one of their own? I see the reasoning behind wanting to "take Hope into protective custody." It's the same reasoning governments use to do things like lock up the Japanese in internment camps during WW2. It's for the greater good, they might be dangerous.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 10 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:55 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I still se Cap as the villain. Fighting on the side of Fascism, as Cyclops said. Then again, there are a lot of pro-Fascists here so the support doesn't surprise me.

The Avengers and the X-Men face world-threatening events on a daily basis. Why should this one cause them to want to turn on one of their own? I see the reasoning behind wanting to "take Hope into protective custody." It's the same reasoning governments use to do things like lock up the Japanese in internment camps during WW2. It's for the greater good, they might be dangerous.

touche.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Jude :lol:

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1025 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:56 pm

After the verbal beat down that Vision gave Wanda, I could see her joining the side of the X-men. Also as a way to say sorry for that M-Day thing.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:05 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:After the verbal beat down that Vision gave Wanda, I could see her joining the side of the X-men. Also as a way to say sorry for that M-Day thing.

Considering how she dreams of the world ending via the Phoenix, I think the chances are slim.

Plus, they've kind of set them up as comparable pieces on each side.. Hope/Phoenix is the X-Men's problem, Wanda is the Avengers.. putting them both on one side would kind of defeat the purpose of the event.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1025 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Well, looks like Iron Fist takes Hope under his wing.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand