Advertisement

Avengers A.I. #3 (It's Skull Boss now Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers A.I. #3 (It's Skull Boss now Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Man, I am loving this book, Sam Humphries is going for it with this title, and he’s pushing the idea of Artificial Intelligence in the Marvel Universe way beyond simple robots and androids.

This book takes place across two different worlds, the first of these is the real world, where Pym and his team have to deal with the aftermath of the Sentinel’s attack and Dimitrios’ address. Not only is the Vision mostly destroyed, but the humans are out for, well, not blood, but whatever the A.I. equivelent is, oil? Anyway, they are out for it and they don’t trust robots, as they attack poor old Victor Mancha. It’s great how this book is playing up a humans vs A.I. battle, even though we’ve seen similar stuff before with the X-Men, Humphries is speeding up the process a lot, and since this is one title, not billions, he has more freedom.

Of course, the darkness of humans turning on our heroes is lightened by some great Doombot lines, I love you Doombot.

The other world is the world of the A.I., known as ‘The Diamond’, which is that weird, impossible shape from last issue. I love the way Araujo draws this world, it’s so out there, and well, other-wordly, Araujo’s detailed yet cartoonish artwork is a perfect fit for this book, it’s a book about insane concepts, but there is a lightness of touch to Humphries’ writing too. I also love how accelerated the timeline of The Diamond is, in the time in-between Age Of Ultron #10 and Avengers A.I. #1, a whole society has sprung up and gone through centuries, and they even have some kind of epic creation myth. Humphries is really bringing some off the wall ideas here, and it works. I really loved how Humphries and Araujo showed that time passes differently in The Diamond compared the real world, in the time it takes Victor Mancha to say 3 words, Dimitrios and The Vision can have long conversations and speeches. It was a very effective technique.

But the core character here is the Vision, as he has to decide between whether or not to side with the Avengers, and with the humans, or with the Diamond, and his fellow A.I., people who view him as the son of God. I’ve always been a big fan of the Vision, so it’s great to see him so central to an Avengers book, and have him tackle the core issues of his identity so head on. This is a great book after only 3 issues, and I can’t wait to see what decision Vizh makes, and just how the Avengers are supposed to fight against these hyper-evolved A.I.s.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Avengers A.I. #3 (It's Skull Boss now Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:51 pm

There was a screw up at my LCS and I finally got this issue this week.

I like the idea of the Diamond. The chief reason for this is that it makes Dimitrios out to be more than a standard evil A.I. His motivation is one that we can understand and even sympathize with.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Another interesting review.

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:36 am

I hope that Black Ant returns here.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand