Advertisement

Avengers #27 (Spoilers to come)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Avengers #27 (Spoilers to come)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:57 pm

By now, we all know what I'm going to say: I don't spoil on day of release, but I can't control others, blah, blah, blah. Be warned!

This issue was SOMETHING ELSE.

Man, just when you think you've got Hickman figured out, he reminds you of one thing: He has a "dark streak" when it comes to some of his plot twists that will leave you like, "WHOA."

Those Avengers from the other dimension...WHOA.

I know the complaints some people have had: The pacing's a little slow.

All I can say is this: Hickman hasn't cheated with this stuff, at all. He's used damn near every single little thing he's dropped in all of these issues for his runs on Avengers and New Avengers, and this issue has some payoffs.

Stick with it -- there's good stuff happening!

The art was good in this thing, too -- Salvador Larroca was on his game, especially with the facial expressions that are crucial with Hickman's work.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Avengers #27 (Spoilers to come)

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Marvel’s double-shipping policy is bad in a lot of ways, but one title I think it really helped is Hickman’s Avengers. With 2 issues a month, Hickman got through a lot of stuff and it made his often drawn-out plotting work a lot better. Now that we’re back down to being monthly (although Avengers World is filling the gap) the same kind of storytelling feels much slower, and the momentum has completely gone. It’s a shame, because as I said, it’s still the same book, and this current story is good. It’s just a shame it feels like it’s taking so much longer.

Hickman begins with a fascinating meeting between the Marvel Universe’s Bruce Banner and the evil alternate reality version. This conversation reveals a lot of cool details about this alternate reality. This version of Banner was lobotomised by the other Avengers so that he doesn’t feel emotions and can’t Hulk out at random, he can only transform if one of them flips a switch. They take turns at being in control and, as we saw last time, the Wasp was the current ‘keeper’. This Banner also reveals that he’s now a sociopath, which is hardly a surprise. Our Banner then whacks the evil version on the head with a wrench and Hulks out himself.

Elsewhere, the head honchos at AIM are pretty pissed off about what’s happened since they dipped their toes in the multiverse. The Scientist Supreme kills the underling that fucked up, and they head off to interfere in the big ol’ fight that’s going on between the 2 groups of Avengers. I loved the humour in this scene with everyone looking exactly the same in the dumb AIM beekeeper hats. Hickman has a very underrated, twisted sense of humour for sure.

The fight between the Avengers was interesting for what more it revealed about the alternate reality. It turns out that the evil Iron Man isn’t Tony Stark at all, but a villainous Jarvis who killed Howard Stark and smothered the baby Tony before stealing the Iron Man suit for himself. All of this might seem a bit inconsequential, but it was a nice reveal, and given what’s going on over in New Avengers with all of the alternate worlds, these characters could turn out to be very important indeed. They came here fleeing from an Incursion, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they played a part in causing Captain America to recover his memories and expose The Illuminati. The Hulk arrives in the middle of the fight, but crucially, nobody knows which Hulk it actually is, which I can foresee causing problems. AIM then interfere, freezing everyone so they can sort out this mess. It looks like AIM are accidentally going to send the wrong Hulk back into the multiverse.

The issue ends with those new Adaptoids heading out into the multiverse themselves. So yeah, everything’s pointing towards there, which is cool, having this book be more closely tied with New Avengers should help cool my complaints about the slower pace.

Larroca’s art was solid as ever, and I think he did a fantastic job with the scene between the 2 Bruce Banners. They are the same man, but somehow, they did look different. It’s all in the eyes…

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Avengers #27 (Spoilers to come)

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Punchy wrote:The issue ends with those new Adaptoids heading out into the multiverse themselves. So yeah, everything’s pointing towards there, which is cool, having this book be more closely tied with New Avengers should help cool my complaints about the slower pace.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the Adaptoids end up evolving in the multiverse into either the Mapmakers or the Black Priests from New Avengers. Or possibly even the Builders, but that's a more remote possibility.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand