Advertisement

Avengers: The Children's Crusade #9 (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Avengers: The Children's Crusade #9 (Spoilers)

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:04 pm

habitual wrote:
I think No-Varr has got that locked up, Hulkling is too Skrully.

Hab

He hasn't gone by Captain Marvel in years. :smt017

He's The Protector now.

And he always felt like a placeholder anyway. They never knew what to do with him - and still don't.

On top of that, he has no connection whatsoever to the Vell family or even the Kree of this dimension.

Teddy is Mar-Vell's son. With Genis dead, he's the rightful heir to the title, IMO. Him being part Skrull only adds to it. It'd be interesting to have a skrully Captain Marvel.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
He hasn't gone by Captain Marvel in years. :smt017

He's The Protector now.

And he always felt like a placeholder anyway. They never knew what to do with him - and still don't.

On top of that, he has no connection whatsoever to the Vell family or even the Kree of this dimension.

Teddy is Mar-Vell's son. With Genis dead, he's the rightful heir to the title, IMO. Him being part Skrull only adds to it. It'd be interesting to have a skrully Captain Marvel.

He's a Skrull, he's Skrull royalty. That pretty much blows any chance at all of him being any type of legacy with the Kree and him pursuing his Skrull heritage would be more interesting at this point given what's been going on with the Skrull empire.

And honestly the Illuminati story with No Varr is better than anything that's been done with Teddy especially in relation to the Mar-Vell legacy.

Hab

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:26 pm

habitual wrote:
I think No-Varr has got that locked up, Hulkling is too Skrully.

Hab

fuck Noh-varr. talk about shitty characters...
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 pm

habitual wrote:
He's a Skrull, he's Skrull royalty. That pretty much blows any chance at all of him being any type of legacy with the Kree and him pursuing his Skrull heritage would be more interesting at this point given what's been going on with the Skrull empire.

And honestly the Illuminati story with No Varr is better than anything that's been done with Teddy especially in relation to the Mar-Vell legacy.

Hab

Who gives a shit if he's Skrull royalty? That's the interesting part. He's torn because he's also Mar-Vell's son.

That's the only legacy that matters - he's the original Captain Marvel's son! The other guy is a shitty character from another universe who doesn't even go by that name anymore, so it's really a non-factor at this point.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
Who gives a shit if he's Skrull royalty? That's the interesting part. He's torn because he's also Mar-Vell's son.

That's the only legacy that matters - he's the original Captain Marvel's son! The other guy is a shitty character from another universe who doesn't even go by that name anymore, so it's really a non-factor at this point.

you tell him, Steve-Dave.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Marius665
Society Member

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Marius665 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:44 pm

chap22 wrote:fuck Noh-varr. talk about shitty characters...

I liked him in Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways

Hating SKYWATCHER since forever! Image

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Holland Oats wrote:

This isn't DC/JSA. :roll:

Terry = lame, period.

No Varr is far more interesting.

Hab

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 722 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:15 pm

who the hell is terry??

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 pm

habitual wrote:
This isn't DC/JSA. :roll:

Terry = lame, period.

No Varr is far more interesting.

Hab

It doesn't matter - he's not Captain Marvel anymore. Even when he was "Captain Marvel" he wasn't really Captain Marvel.

He's a worthless character that no one knows what to do with. This is painfully obvious by the fact that the extent of his use since Morrison's mini has been sleeping with and being played by Moonstone, and warming the benches on The Avengers. He's basically in The Sentry's old role of standing around in the background being completely worthless for the entireity of the run.

He's a generic "fish out of water" character that we've seen a billion times in comics. It's old hat. He has no character.. no depth beyond that.
Last edited by Chris on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Sitebreaker wrote:who the hell is terry??

I'm assuming he means Teddy.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:40 am

I just got through this. I want my four bucks back. Stupid characterization (Cyclops, I'm looking at you), a ridiculous culling of some fairly realized cast members...ugh. And to think it only took two and a half years for this masterpiece to put the Witch back on the map so AvX could happen.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 646 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 am

Just read the whole thing (having never opened #1 from waaaay back whenever). I only bought the series because of the hope that it would return Wanda back to something remotely close to who she was before Bendis fucked her over.

And I got that.

And more...

It's not surprise to anyone that I despise what Bendis did and continues to do. Yes it's almost 8 years but I still firmly believe crap like Wolverine on the team is just wrong - the feeling then is still relevant as in this series he's all about killing Wanda. The greatest mischaracterization in the series is Cap not throwing him off the team that moment.

Loved the hypocrisy call out from Wiccan to all those so-called heroes that want to kill Wanda about how they've accepted mass-murderers/terrorists/criminals into their ranks.

I never read the Young Avengers series so my only exposure to them was back in Slott's Mighty Avengers where I grew quite fond of Cassie. Sad to see her go. As for the rest of the series's cast...

Wiccan - this was his story and he seems decent enough with some potential.
Hulkling - ugh - worst of the bunch
Hawkette - No impression - no real time given to her
Speed - hot headed speedster, basically a second rate Quicksilver. Not sure what his purpose is.
Patriot - basically a background character here
Vision 2 - meh. No big loss (especially if the original one is back)
Iron Lad - no real interest in him either
X-Men - when did they all become such ass-holes?
Avengers - when did they all become such assholes? (wait I've known the answer to this ever since I dropped the book when Bendis took over).
Dr Doom - This was the best Doom story I've read in decades.
Wanda - one of my all time favorite characters and she was treated with respect for the first time in nearly a decade. It's a happy day.
Life Force - while not much different than a big yellow bug I'm happy with the outcome.

btw- Cassie was hit with 'life force' energy - you'd think somebody would have let Iron lad try to save her (especially her father).

Young Avengers Disassembled worked where Avengers Disassembled didn't because this one took the time to tell the story rather than the Bendis forcing his square peg into a round hole did.

The art was spectacular, the writing was hit or miss (the whole Cap/Wolverine statement above, how the X-Men knew to be at Avengers Mansion when everyone thought they were in Latveria, etc). But overall I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Someone here mentioned this series was nothing but fanservice. If it is than I'm the kind of fan who's been serviced!

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 722 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:17 am

one explanation of why the x-men knew to be at Avengers Mansion (actually 2). Cerebra... or just you know Emma/Psylocke/Stepford Cuckoos doing a telepathic search..

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1466 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:54 am

Amoebas wrote:Hawkette - No impression - no real time given to her

I miss the Kate Bishop that we were given when they introduced her in the first Young Avengers miniseries. She was interesting and would have made a fantastic leader for the Young Avengers. She still would if they could take her back to the character that she was originally.

btw- Cassie was hit with 'life force' energy - you'd think somebody would have let Iron lad try to save her (especially her father).

I have been wondering that too. I would have understood if he said something like "I can fix this, I can go back into the time stream and make it so that Doom was never born" then I could see why people would be hesitant to accept his help. Instead the first thing he suggested was simply taking her into the future where they could find a doctor who could help her. We know at least one person who was standing right there (Cyclops) who has done the sane thing for his child. In my opinion, this was sort of like allowing your child to die of an illness because you don't believe in taking them to a hospital.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:27 am

Sitebreaker wrote:who the hell is terry??

Exactly.

Suck on that counselor.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand