Advertisement

Avengers #26 (Thorr Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers #26 (Thorr Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:33 pm

For various reasons (well, Christmas/New Year and comics not being shipped to the UK) I haven’t reviewed the last 2 issues of Avengers, so it’s good to get back on this particular horse as the ‘All-New Avengers’ storyline continues.

The issue begins with a flash-back to just before Infinity (#17 to be precise), when the Avengers were knocked out by one of The Builders’ emissaries. AIM were to pick up the pieces, and in that issue we saw them take genetic material from the unconscious Avengers. Here, we see what that DNA was taken for, to make new Adaptoids that AIM can send into the Multiverse. After this, we get another flashback, but it’s a bit closer to the present, as the alternate universe Avengers are attacked by these new Adaptoids. This was a decent action scene, but I do find it interesting how slowly Hickman is parsing out details about these evil Avengers. Here we discover that the Wasp has been controlling the Hulk through a remote, which is broken during the fight, allowing Banner to escape. It seems that Hickman only ever does stuff to extremes, in New Avengers, he’s brushing off alternate universes for just a few pages before killing them. In this book, he’s taking his sweet, sweet time in exploring one particular universe’s characters. Is there no middle ground?

This fight ends with one of the Adaptoids breaking Hank Pym’s neck, which explains how he was found at the start of last issue, and the rest of the Avengers retreating. Once we finally get to the present, Maria Hill is still questioning the Avengers’ about their whereabouts, and it was refreshing to see Hyperion and Iron Man easily prove it wasn’t them, and for Maria Hill to never have actually believed it was them. At this point, it’s much more likely for it to be alternate universe versions or clones than for a superhero to actually go evil. Iron Man is able to track down the other Avengers, and they are still in New York. Also still in New York is the alternate Bruce Banner, who finds his way to a safe-house that exists in his universe also, and runs straight into the real Bruce Banner! Two Hulks! Oh shit.

The issue ends with a strange, cryptic scene involving the new Adaptoids, where they decide to change their mission and their appearances, gone are the weird hybrids of different Avengers parts, and in their place is a uniform look featuring a single ring on their face for an eye. They look a bit like OMACs to be honest, but I think the intent is to make them look like the Builder robot that knocked out the Avengers, or I could just be over-thinking it.

Salvador Larroca’s art was strong as usual, I think he works well with Hickman, and whilst I like that subplots from before Infinity are still important, I do feel like this story is a bit of a step-down from the crossover. That was so epic, and this feels kind of throwaway in comparison. It’s still good, and it does have Multiversal implications, but I thought things were going to keep on getting bigger and bigger for the Avengers, not feel smaller.

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Avengers #26 (Thorr Spoilers)

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:20 pm

The issue ends with a strange, cryptic scene involving the new Adaptoids, where they decide to change their mission and their appearances, gone are the weird hybrids of different Avengers parts, and in their place is a uniform look featuring a single ring on their face for an eye. They look a bit like OMACs to be honest, but I think the intent is to make them look like the Builder robot that knocked out the Avengers, or I could just be over-thinking it.

That wasn't a Builder robot. That was the Earth's self-defense system evolved out of the Origin Bomb. It also was the thing that came to mind when I saw the Adaptoids evolve theor form.

Also, it was a total Panda Bear Mode moment.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

contramundi
cheese

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby contramundi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:17 pm

do ya have acess to some scans of the adaptoids at the end plase?

Glacier16
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: kung-fu treachery

Postby Glacier16 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:36 pm

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand