Advertisement

Avengers World #3 (Spoilers to come, not on Release Day)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Avengers World #3 (Spoilers to come, not on Release Day)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Standard warning from me: I can't control what comes after, so BEWARE. SPOILERS COULD APPEAR AFTER THIS INITIAL POST. But I don't spoil on Release Day, so others can read the issues.

So, here we go -- and again, beware after this post! You have been warned -- I can't control others.

But for those who have seen the solicits on this issue and were curious, and/or if you're a fan of Shang-Chi and The Gorgon and you want to see one of the single-best fight comics I can recall in 35 years...PICK THIS UP RIGHT NOW AND THANK ME LATER

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

contramundi
cheese

Liked in: 8 posts

Re: Avengers World #3 (Spoilers to come, not on Release Day)

Postby contramundi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:48 pm

*chants

spoil it spoil it spoil it

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1015 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:06 pm

contramundi wrote:*chants

spoil it spoil it spoil it

One of the Avengers hit something/someone. 8)

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 pm

It's an issue devoted to a 20 page fight with Shang-Chi kung-fu type inner dialog. It was great writing with beautiful art.

contramundi
cheese

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby contramundi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:34 pm

HNutz wrote:
One of the Avengers hit something/someone. 8)

and let me guess..there was a villain and a potencial problem posed by his evil machinations?

seriously now...

spoil it spoil it spoil it ;)

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:50 pm

It'd be less spoilerific if there hadn't been a new Shang Chi series announced

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Despite generally loving Hickman’s Avengers run, I do have one problem with it, and it’s that he takes very little time to focus on the characters. There are so many members of the Avengers right now, and they rarely get any individual moments or character development. So, for me, the fact that Avengers World seems to using each issue as a specific character-focus is great news.

Much like #2 was all about Smasher, this third instalment was all Shang-Chi, and when I say all, I mean all. He’s the only Avenger who actually speaks in this issue (Wolverine, Black Widow and Falcon appear in one, wordless panel) and the whole 20 pages are one big kung-fu fight between Shang-Chi and Gorgon. So, you know, it’s pretty fucking awesome. I’m sure there will be some readers who are annoyed at the story progression being slowed down for a very extended fight, but I really don’t care about that when the fight is written and drawn so well. Hickman, Spencer and Caselli really deliver a special experience here and the whole issue had me grinning from ear to ear.

The fight is awesome, but you can’t really write about individual moves and stuff like that, so the most pertinent thing for this review is the flashbacks used, and how effective they are. Throughout the fight, Shang-Chi thinks back to previous Kung-Fu masters and uses them for inspiration. He remembers a Monk who was betrayed by his Emperor, a Peasant Girl who fought back against raiders who attacked her village, and a Policeman who continued to fight a thief even after he had been stabbed with a poison dagger. There are 3 different colourists credited for this issue, but I’m not sure if each handled different flashbacks, but the way they used different colouring was very effective. The colours were washed out, made to look like ancient asian artwork, but also, there was a heavy focus on the red clothing of each warrior. This highlighted their connection to Shang-Chi, who is also clad in red.

However, even after drawing on these legends, Shang-Chi is defeated by Gorgon, who slashes his stomach. ‘How can this be?’, you ask, well, it’s because the legends Shang was remembering actually ended with each of the heroes dying. The Policeman, the Peasant Girl and the Monk, they all died. And so too does Shang-Chi, as Gorgon throws him off of the dragon’s head to his death. Now, of course, we all know that Shang-Chi won’t die here (they just announced a new Deadly Hands Of Kung-Fu mini-series), but it was still a great, surprising way to end the issue, and I can’t wait to see where Hickman and Spencer are going.

I really liked this issue, and I loved that it gave me something I totally wasn’t expecting when I bought it, more comics should be like this, and break away from the regular structure. Yes, there are other groups of Avengers out there and other subplots, but who cares, there’s Kung-Fu to be had!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:57 am

Great issue.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand